• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tampa trying to force fumble on kneel down: Cheap shot or no?

Really just think RJ enjoys confrontation (maybe this is obvious to all), considering I'd say 85% of the board usually disagrees with him. In a shocking turn of events, Reff shares the same opinion here!

Not a cheap shot.

In the words of Herm Edwards, "You play to win the game." and to play to win the game, you gotta play until the final whistle and the clock says "00:00"

This play had nothing to do with trying to win the football game. Schiano wanted to prove a "point" -- new coach with a team that was terrible last year, trying to bring a tougher attitude to his squad, play to the whistle, etc. Instead, he looks like an ass.

LOL at people thinking this was a good play or in any way comparable to the fumble against the Eagles in the 70s.

Totally agree. It is funny, this thread is 6 pages long and plenty of people note the score (one possession game), but no one notes the time. There were 5 seconds left. There is a .0001 chance you cause a fumble and even if you did no way to stop the clock in 5 seconds. It is akin to a hard foul down 14 with 20 seconds left in hoops. Cheap play, as there is essentially no chance of winning the game.

I agree with rj regarding his opinion that other teams will now be a little chippier with TB. the potential that a fumble would be forced was too low a probability to risk having people gunning for your players for the rest of the season.

I agree with rj regarding his opinion that other teams will now be a little chippier with TB. the potential that a fumble would be forced was too low a probability to risk having people gunning for your players for the rest of the season.

Exactly. He will regret that decision.

In the NFL, no one likes whiners. Especially whiners that win a lot. I doubt Tampa will be the one getting hit harder because of this

If anyone got harsher treatment out of this at all, which I highly doubt

Last edited:
Totally agree. It is funny, this thread is 6 pages long and plenty of people note the score (one possession game), but no one notes the time. There were 5 seconds left. There is a .0001 chance you cause a fumble and even if you did no way to stop the clock in 5 seconds. It is akin to a hard foul down 14 with 20 seconds left in hoops. Cheap play, as there is essentially no chance of winning the game.

Doesn't the clock stop on a change of possession?

eh, everyone will forget about this in a week.

So Coughlin expected the Bucs to just give up? What gives a team the right to say the game is over simply because they're in "kneeling" formation? The Bucs had every right to play their hardest until the clock says 00:00 to try and tie the game. Coughlin should be blaming his O line for taking the last play off and not protecting Eli. I can't believe there are people supporting Coughlin on this. The pussification of America continues.

I'd understand the cheap shot argument if it wasn't fairly common for a QB to take several steps back before kneeling. Its obviously done to waste more time, and give his team an advantage. Lets not act like a simple one step kneel is universal and everyone acts the same on every time wasting play.

The defense has every right to play every second of the game.

Reading this thread, you'd think it was common for teams to try to blow up the victory formation.

One of the ESPN guys pointed out that Schiano had no problem taking a knee on three plays in week one with a six point lead. That week he was committed to playing 58 minutes.

One of the ESPN guys pointed out that Schiano had no problem taking a knee on three plays in week one with a six point lead. That week he was committed to playing 58 minutes.

That could literally be the worst argument ever.

I'd understand the cheap shot argument if it wasn't fairly common for a QB to take several steps back before kneeling. Its obviously done to waste more time, and give his team an advantage. Lets not act like a simple one step kneel is universal and everyone acts the same on every time wasting play.

The defense has every right to play every second of the game.

If the play clock / game clock was close and Manning was dropping back a few extra steps to waste time, their would be no argument. In this case, there was 4 seconds left and TB had no timeouts. Manning didn't need to waste time by taking a few steps back, so that scenario is irrelevant.

I think the bball analogy above is the most relevant. Total prick move. It reminds me of something coach K would coach down 12 with 17 seconds remaining - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGHaLUgrzi4

If the play clock / game clock was close and Manning was dropping back a few extra steps to waste time, their would be no argument. In this case, there was 4 seconds left and TB had no timeouts. Manning didn't need to waste time by taking a few steps back, so that scenario is irrelevant.

I think the bball analogy above is the most relevant. Total prick move. It reminds me of something coach K would coach down 12 with 17 seconds remaining - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGHaLUgrzi4

It's more like fouling when you're down 3 with 4 seconds left. Yeah, it's a long shot that you'll get the chance to win the game, but there is still a chance.

Back