• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tampa trying to force fumble on kneel down: Cheap shot or no?

So how in the hell could it be cheap to send your players to try to create a fumble snap, or at least to have a better shot at recovering a fumbled snap?

Didn't you get the memo? Teams are supposed to just accept defeat. That is, after all, the right way to go about playing the game. Once you get down and the odds of coming back are low, just give up. Miraculous comebacks never happen. At least the Vagiants have shown their true colors. Bunch of bitchy little girls if you ask me. You are playing a "man's game" so stop acting like such pussies.

These people are getting paid millions of dollars. The least they can do is put in a full 60 minutes.

I'm wondering now if you could line up like 3 people against the center and shove him back into the QB on the snap. As soon as you see the ball move, nail him...if you get a penalty, so what? Might be able to disrupt the snap that way, or unsettle the center.

This reminds me of an intentional walk in MLB. You can't just send the batter to first, you have to throw the pitches. And if you throw it in the dirt runners steal, or if you drift it over the plate the batter is likely to jack it. Time on the clock you go for it. Maybe it doesn't happen alot in the league and maybe players don't like it, but suit up and play. BTW, Giants fan.

Also, it wouldn't have changed anything if a player got hurt. You run a hundred plays a game (or whatever) and there's a possibility on every play. There's a good chance there that they catch Eli and the line by surprise and he was probably closer to fumbling than you might think. Two possession game is the only thing that would change that.

9+ point game and I consider it bush league.

8 and under I consider it fair game.

Edited to add: If Roger "the Ginger Hammer" Goodell himself can't find anything to bitch about, you know it must be OK.

It's big boy football. Play until the final whistle blows.

Yea fair game by the letter of the law, and a small part of me respects Schiano for not wanting to give up, but this was a cheap shot. Super lame. If a Giant had gotten injured, this would be a big deal.

If Manning had fumbled it, this wouldn't be a conversation.

I like the spider blitz by #21 TB (Eric Wright)

Watch that video over and over and just focus on 21. If you can keep yourself from laughing you are a stronger man than I. If you somehow manage to not laugh, then I encourage to drink several beers and try again. Eventually the spider crawl will get to you.

If Manning had fumbled it, this wouldn't be a conversation.

If Eli (one of my least favorite players) fumbled, the only way it could have mattered is if the guy dived under the pile, did a rugby back pass and they run it in.

By the time they let the fight for the ball go on, time would have expired. There was a mountain of people near the ball. It was never going to be a hand off. the ball would have squirmed on the ground behind the O-line. It would have been bouncing like the Miracle of the Meadowlands.

If Eli (one of my least favorite players) fumbled, the only way it could have mattered is if the guy dived under the pile, did a rugby back pass and they run it in.

By the time they let the fight for the ball go on, time would have expired. There was a mountain of people near the ball. It was never going to be a hand off. the ball would have squirmed on the ground behind the O-line. It would have been bouncing like the Miracle of the Meadowlands.

I don't think this is true. I'm pretty sure the referees stop the clock when there is a pile on a loose ball. If offense recovers the clock is restarted, if defense recovers, the clock starts on snap. Someone can clarify this better than me i'm sure.

They have to see it loose and recovered before they stop the clock. that would easily take five seconds.

Giants fan all my life and I don't have a big problem with it. O-Line saw that formation and should have been more prepared.

At the time, though, it struck me as Schiano being somewhat bitter about blowing the lead and wanting to take one final parting shot at the G-Men. I don't know if he makes the same move in a less dramatic game. Either way, if it's not illegal you can't be too upset by it

They have to see it loose and recovered before they stop the clock. that would easily take five seconds.

I don't think that's true. Yes, they have to see it fumbled but if there is a pile up on the loose ball the referees will stop the clock to figure out possession. If recovered by the defense, obviously they would have time to run one play.

REFEREE’S TIMEOUT
Article 5␣␣Provided that calling timeout is not in conflict with another rule, the Referee may suspend play and stop the clock (Referee’s timeout) at any time without penalty to either team when playing time is being consumed because of an unintentional delay. Such situations include but are not limited to the following:
(a) when there is the possibility of a measurement for a first down, or if the Referee is consulting with a captain about one;
(b) when there is an undue pileup on the runner, or while determining possession after a fumble while time is in;
(c) when there is an undue delay by officials in spotting the ball for the next snap; (d) if the snap is made before the officials can assume their positions. See 4-6-5-b if it is a repeated act; (e) when there is an injury to an official or member of the chain crew; (f) during an officials’ conference (see 15-1-6); or (g) while repairing or replacing game equipment, except player equipment.
After a Referee’s timeout, the game clock will start pursuant to Rule 4, Section 3, as if the Referee’s timeout had not occurred.

Players are going to remember this. If anything else like this happens, Bucs will get targeted by opponents. Right now every other player is looking at them.

The ball could have been popped out, especially with how surprised the Giants and Manning apparently were, and recovered and returned without a pileup anyway.

Players are going to remember this. If anything else like this happens, Bucs will get targeted by opponents. Right now every other player is looking at them.

yawn. what are they going to put a bounty on them?

This may be true, and maybe other teams will remember this. I don't know the unspoken rules within the league. I think the "outrage" was just a proportionality thing. Something like "it's too early in the season" or "let's not risk injury on a low percentage play" kinda thing. I guarantee you that in the playoffs or late season divisional matchups for playoff spots most teams would try something like this. GS and TB is basically saying that he wants that intensity all the time for 60 minutes. I like the attitude.

Basically anything that gives you a chance at a win (even a small percentage play) that is within the rules should be tried.

This play had nothing to do with trying to win the football game. Schiano wanted to prove a "point" -- new coach with a team that was terrible last year, trying to bring a tougher attitude to his squad, play to the whistle, etc. Instead, he looks like an ass.

LOL at people thinking this was a good play or in any way comparable to the fumble against the Eagles in the 70s.

This play had nothing to do with trying to win the football game. Schiano wanted to prove a "point" -- new coach with a team that was terrible last year, trying to bring a tougher attitude to his squad, play to the whistle, etc. Instead, he looks like an ass.

LOL at people thinking this was a good play or in any way comparable to the fumble against the Eagles in the 70s.

You should at least cite ESPN pre-game as your source since you essentially quoted Cris Carter.

This may be true, and maybe other teams will remember this. I don't know the unspoken rules within the league. I think the "outrage" was just a proportionality thing. Something like "it's too early in the season" or "let's not risk injury on a low percentage play" kinda thing. I guarantee you that in the playoffs or late season divisional matchups for playoff spots most teams would try something like this. GS and TB is basically saying that he wants that intensity all the time for 60 minutes. I like the attitude.

Basically anything that gives you a chance at a win (even a small percentage play) that is within the rules should be tried.

not when it puts your players at risk.

That was an exponentially better chance that someone could have gotten injured than the play would have worked.

Back