• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taxing the wealthy more..

What the GOP is saying is raising the taxes will cripple "job growth".

By the way, this minimal amount of increase will not effect any of your other concerns. If a piece of equipment is worth buying this amount will not make it unworthy.

This is a total red herring and lie. Not by you, but by the GOP.

What the GOP is saying is raising the taxes will cripple "job growth".

By the way, this minimal amount of increase will not effect any of your other concerns. If a piece of equipment is worth buying this amount will not make it unworthy.

This is a total red herring and lie. Not by you, but by the GOP.

what's a red herring? that higher taxes will cripple job growth? It may, it may not, you can think and be confident it will or won't one way or the other for whatever reasons/justifications you can come up with, but at the end of the day you don't know and neither does anyone else.
I mean the marginal justification is pretty simple economics....everything happens on the margin. It's just like saying, if you raise the price of a case of beer $2 then it's not going to affect consumption because $2 isn't a lot. Well, it certainly won't affect my beer consumption, and it won't affect yours, but you'd be a fool to think that there won't be less beer sold....that is because someone somewhere is marginalized by that increase.

Now you can still think 3%, 4% isn't going to matter, and you could be right but there are fundamentals behind tax increases that suggest an increase in taxes will hamper job growth and those fundamentals can't really be argued, because they are just facts, what can be argued is to what extent job growth is hampered and at what level will revenue increses from higher taxes will be countered by the lack of job growth.
Other things are the economic climate and the pulse of the "market" (not the stock market but the general state of mind in the economy). In the 90's everyone was bullish, people hadn't been burned in a while and they were willing to accept less return for more risk, taxes were higher, but people didn't care because investments were paying off. Now it's a different climate, people are way to conservative and tax increases would make them more conservative for all the reasons I've stated which is why I'd be against a tax increase.
I'm not trying to change your mind (because if I did then I need to change my profession) but at least give you insight to the other point of view.

ALL I'm talking about is the insanity of 3-4% stopping creation. It will not. if it does, then those businesses are going out of business for incompetence not lack of 3-4%.

Back