• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taxing the wealthy more..

MACdeac

Reaction score
One of you liberals please explain to me how taking away more income from "the rich", through increased taxation, is better for the economy. This is very basic, please stay with me I know you liberals are pretty quick to jump the gun and say "YES!!!, take away more from those greedy bastards!"

Example:

Say I make 1 million dollars. If these tax increases proposed by Obama cause my tax liability to increase by, let's say for simplicity, $50,000. (just an example, don't argue this value)

That is $50,000 more going to Uncle sam to go spend. Well that sounds great, right?

Question: would you rather have me, the taxpayer, have that $50,000 to go spend on stuff that I want?

Well, most people would say no, that "unfair". Well let's look at what I spend that on...

I could buy a new car? I could go on vacation? I could spend it on whatever I want.. Wow that sounds so mean of you your rich prick! Not so fast...

That extra money will go directly back into the economy in some sense. Whether it be investments, spending, whatever. That new car purchased will give a nice commission to a car salesman, add the the sales of that local car dealership, secure more work for the mechanic I use, etc.. The vacation I go on will give more revenue to the airline, which means more luggage that baggage guy has to load on the plane, more people the flight attendant has to tend too, etc.. The list goes on and on.

The question people need to ask themselves, do you trust more money in the hands of people to be spent on growing this economy by the people who earned it? or do you want that money to be spent by the government on all these failed policies?

And just so you know, No I do not make a million dollars, I am in wake b school and aspire to make a great living one day and choose to spend it on whatever the hell I want.

Increased revenue into this government, regardless of who or where it comes from, will directly take money out of the economy and put the trust in to government to spend it efficiently.. And yes we know how efficient the government is and how well they operate... DMV, social security, etc.. All examples of how the government cannot make more rational and efficient decisions that the competitive private sector..

I know this is a very simplistic economic point, but it is one that we need to realize as Obama tries to save his job by pitting the poor against the rich in class warfare...

This is how most of us lowly folk are different than the super rich. If we have a little extra cash for some reason, we're likely to spend it. If the super rich have a little extra cash, they're going to save/invest it.

This is how most of us IRRESPONSIBLE folk are different than the RESPONSIBLE. If we have a little extra cash for some reason, we're likely to spend it. If the RESPONSIBLE have a little extra cash, they're going to save/invest it.

FIFY

This is how most of us lowly folk are different than the super rich. If we have a little extra cash for some reason, we're likely to spend it. If the super rich have a little extra cash, they're going to save/invest it.

No matter how people try to spin this, the money is better left in the private sector to be spent in a more efficient, economically sound manner.

Your point that this extra cash is something the rich with "invest" is a reason why the government should have it? Are you serious? We need more money in the private sector to be invested. Whether it be stocks, bonds, venture capital, etc.. That is a GREAT reason why these increases in tax will hurt the economy. And you also said they are more likely to "save" it.. Well no matter how much people save, it will be spent eventually, and I can damn guarantee you, if a wealthy person has a better "cushion" of savings, they will spend more money over time.

Example:

Say I make 1 million dollars. If these tax increases proposed by Obama cause my tax liability to increase by, let's say for simplicity, $50,000. (just an example, don't argue this value)

That is $50,000 more going to Uncle sam to go spend. Well that sounds great, right?

Question: would you rather have me, the taxpayer, have that $50,000 to go spend on stuff that I want?

Well, most people would say no, that "unfair". Well let's look at what I spend that on...

I could buy a new car? I could go on vacation? I could spend it on whatever I want.. Wow that sounds so mean of you your rich prick! Not so fast...

That extra money will go directly back into the economy in some sense. Whether it be investments, spending, whatever. That new car purchased will give a nice commission to a car salesman, add the the sales of that local car dealership, secure more work for the mechanic I use, etc.. The vacation I go on will give more revenue to the airline, which means more luggage that baggage guy has to load on the plane, more people the flight attendant has to tend too, etc.. The list goes on and on.

Or that $50,000 might sit in cash and do nothing to go back into the economy in any sense - not an unreasonable assumption considering I have a bunch of clients sitting on tens of millions of dollars in cash. You can't make assumptions about what our hypothetical millionaire would do with his $50,000.

Mark Cuban:

"So be Patriotic. Go out there and get rich. Get so obnoxiously rich that when that tax bill comes , your first thought will be to choke on how big a check you have to write. Your 2nd thought will be "what a great problem to have", and your 3rd should be a recognition that in paying your taxes you are helping to support millions of Americans that are not as fortunate as you.

In these times of "The Great Recession" we shouldn't be trying to shift the benefits of wealth behind some curtain. We should be celebrating and encouraging people to make as much money as they can. Profits equal tax money. While some people might find it distasteful to pay taxes. I don't. I find it Patriotic."

The funniest thing is that the right would have you believe that they don't engage in class warfare, when it is pretty much their main rallying point.

Mark Cuban:

"So be Patriotic. Go out there and get rich. Get so obnoxiously rich that when that tax bill comes , your first thought will be to choke on how big a check you have to write. Your 2nd thought will be "what a great problem to have", and your 3rd should be a recognition that in paying your taxes you are helping to support millions of Americans that are not as fortunate as you.

In these times of "The Great Recession" we shouldn't be trying to shift the benefits of wealth behind some curtain. We should be celebrating and encouraging people to make as much money as they can. Profits equal tax money. While some people might find it distasteful to pay taxes. I don't. I find it Patriotic."

Pretty sure you won't find many of these quotes from the "rich" making 200k. Hoping that they are still employed next year and trying to figure out why their tax bill is going up.

These kinds of quotes are really easy for billionaires. It is the small businessman who is making 2-300k that is getting killed and they definitely are not thinking that paying that cash is patriotic.

Taxing the wealthy the same amount they paid in the 1990s isn't class warfare, it's the correction of an error made in the 2000s that led to our crippling deficits in first place. We simply cut revenues to sharply, and need to course correct. It's more apt to think of the coming change as the unnatural Bush tax holiday coming to an end. So the top bracket should enjoy what it was able to amass while the damaging aberration lasted, but now its back to the fiscal realities of operating a superpower.

The typical family around 200K isn't getting taxed to death. It is the exact opposite, when compared to any other time in modern US history.

I think we should give anyone who has more than $1 million in taxable income a freaking Medal of Honor. So long as they pay actually pay their damn taxes. That's the patriotic thing to do -- be rich and pay taxes. Let's give 'em something to brag with. Maybe even throw in a vanity plate design too.

How about this buffoon: http://gawker.com/5841749/congressman-spends-200000-a-year-on-food

And for the negrep pussies out there, the above is sarcasm.

Last edited:
Taxing the wealthy the same amount they paid in the 1990s isn't class warfare, it's the correction of an error made in the 2000s that led to our crippling deficits in first place. We simply cut revenues to sharply, and need to course correct. It's more apt to think of the coming change as the unnatural Bush tax holiday coming to an end. So the top bracket should enjoy what it was able to amass while the damaging aberration lasted, but now its back to the fiscal realities of operating a superpower.

This misses an important point, that the incomparable Mike Barnacle (spelling?) raised on MoJo this a.m.

What am I getting for my tax money? Five shooting wars abroad? Bailing out union-crippled, failed rust belt manufacturers? Absorbing AIG's risk for them while they cash out huge bonus checks? Bailing out the banks that brought us down in the first place? Stimu-fail 3.0?

I think many on left are (for their own political purposes, of course) quite consciously selling "the rich" short. If government didn't have such a confidence-deficit among the paying minority, you wouldn't see nearly the resistance to paying more taxes.

If the schools worked, if there some real limits on borrowing power and sincere efforts to make government spending transparent, they'd get more traction towards raising taxes. If I thought I'd actually get something besides more fail, I personally wouldn't have a problem paying more. As it is, government has proved unable to control its childlike impulses and refused to make tough choices. The Dec 2010 "compromise" [sic] being exhibit A.

You get the ability to live in the greatest country in the world.

You get the ability to live in the greatest country in the world.

1) Not on the margins.
2) Not at all. I could choose to quit my job and donate my taxable personal property to a 501(c)(3) and just sit back and kick it for a few years. I'm not getting deported for being lazy, that's for sure.

Back