• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taxing the wealthy more..

Can any of you justify the use of force against a totally innocent citizen in order to transfer that citizen's paycheck to a politician? I seem to be getting nothing but stupid bromides and juvenile profanity. Were you educated at Wake Forest?

True, but why weren't the addition gross receipts used to pay down the debt?

The two wars, for the most part, but that's beside the point. We cut taxes, and gross tax receipts increased.

Can any of you justify the use of force against a totally innocent citizen in order to transfer that citizen's paycheck to a politician? I seem to be getting nothing but stupid bromides and juvenile profanity. Were you educated at Wake Forest?

Sure. It's called "civilized society".

WTF? Yes, all taxes go to politicians, and all "innocent citizens" are submitted to the use of force to steal their paychecks.

The two wars, for the most part, but that's beside the point. We cut taxes, and gross tax receipts increased.

Honestly, can you provide a link to said increases. Not trying to be a dick, just curious.

The only way you are going to really tax the rich is increase the cap gains tax. So, go for it. Let the unintended consequences begin.

Tax revenues pretty much increase every year. Inflation, population growth.

Before W, tax revenues had only decreased in two one fiscal year periods (70-71) and (82-83) since 1960. Taxes were always higher two fiscal years later.

We pass the Bush tax cuts.

Tax revenues were lower in current dollars in 2004 than they were in 2000. That's a 4 fiscal year period of negative overall tax dollar growth. So the argument that Bush's tax cuts grew tax revenues is not compelling to me at all.

Tax revenues in 2011 are only going to be about 7% higher in current dollars than they were in 2000.

Last edited:
The WH data also shows that the deficit decreased from 03 to 07, despite two bankrupting wars. The worst president in history cut the deficit almost in half from all appearances. Probably not going to hear that on MSNBC anytime soon.

We honestly don't need to raise taxes until the economy starts to recover. But the R's won't want to raise taxes then. They NEVER want to raise taxes. It's become the single minded focus of the Republican party to never ever raise taxes, particularly on rich people.

As best as I can tell, either you:

1) are an anarchist, or...

2) believe that government can operate on donations alone.

Which is it?

There are no reasons not to raise taxes in the top .3 of 1%. It will have ZERO negative impact on the economy and will close the deficit a bit or help pay for some programs.

There are no reasons not to raise taxes in the top .3 of 1%. It will have ZERO negative impact on the economy and will close the deficit a bit or help pay for some programs.

And how are you going to do that? Raise the cap gains tax solely on Warren Buffet and Bill Gates? What is your plan? This is not what Obama has in mind. Hell, he knows there is no way this goes through Congress. This is campaign posturing pure and simple. Just wait and see.

There's no way anything Obama proposes gets through Congress. He knows it (now).

There's no way anything Obama proposes gets through Congress. He knows it (now).

He knew it when he proposed it. Let's get real.

And why doesn't Buffett give his secretary a raise for crying out loud. And he could pay off his back taxes if his heart is bleeding.

I think we have a double, double negative. Not content with poorly reasoned, you went above and beyond to ensure it was poorly thought out...TWICE.

#manticulitis

Which reflects poorly on all of them. I'm not impressed with the Congress at the moment.

Our government needs to broaden the base by raising taxes on everyone equally. 5% at every bracket, and I'm not opposed to installing a higher bracket past $400,000/family; provided those additional taxes could be used to retire the debt. Ideally, those increases would be tracked to balance the budget and then we pass a balanced budget amendment (w/ a declared war loophole).

Our government needs to cut every program by 5%.

And how are you going to do that? Raise the cap gains tax solely on Warren Buffet and Bill Gates? What is your plan? This is not what Obama has in mind. Hell, he knows there is no way this goes through Congress. This is campaign posturing pure and simple. Just wait and see.

He wasnts an AMT for them...Of course it won't pass, the GOP would rather end Medicare.

Back