• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tech Game in Atlanta \ Rodney's Daughter

Why the Deac Not

Frederic Fuckin' Chopin
Reaction score
Just got my tickets at McCamish for Saturday on stubhub. There are some reasonable deals still if any local ATL Deacs want to grab a couple seats in section 100 behind the Wake bench. Tkts ranging from $42-55 I think and that includes all the fees and instant tkt download feature.

But more importantly, in doing some "research", I noticed in my perusal of the Women's team that Rodney's oldest daughter, Roddreka, has matriculated at Tech and is now a vital cog as a Junior on their squad. She's averaging nearly a double-double and shooting almost 60% from the floor. I'm going to have to check out a women's game next.

Here's here bio if anyone is interested: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/roddreka_rogers_801309.html

Affable and pleasant young lady, just like her Pops, well he was anything but a lady! :)p

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/091914aab.html

Go Roddreka!!

Last edited:
There was a deacon club event where the group tickets were/are $28.. Not sure if they're still selling at that rate.

It was actually organized by the Atlanta Alumni Club and not the Deacon Club. If you PM me your email I can forward it to you since the link to gt website is still active. Its $24 now since they ran out of lower bowl tickets and looks like its upper deck now. Well have two big blocks there, it'll be nice to have a good turnout.

It was actually organized by the Atlanta Alumni Club and not the Deacon Club. If you PM me your email I can forward it to you since the link to gt website is still active. Its $24 now since they ran out of lower bowl tickets and looks like its upper deck now. Well have two big blocks there, it'll be nice to have a good turnout.

That's where we are correct?

Very cool, should've realized that the active ATL alumni would be organizing something good.

I'll be with an App St. grad but he's a bigger CBB fan than I am these days. I'll be in the first row of the upper deck and those went for $33.

The lowest I saw available were row 10 in Sec 100 (behind visitor's bench) for $55 ea. Not bad if you want to be close enough to shout encouragement to Coach Manning. Two years ago, I proudly heckled Bzzfuck from the last row of the upper deck. :D

Continue to be at a loss to understand WF's failure to successfully recruit the daughters of some of the greatest hoop players in WF history (Rodney has one daughter at GT and another committed to State; Delaney Rudd has a daughter committed to State). Maybe we made every effort and they chose to go elsewhere, but I suspect that WF was slow to get involved (which is ridiculous - WF should be the first ones involved with these recruits), and failed to make the effort that competing schools made to bring these recruits home.

Our reputation as a wretched WBB program probably hurts us the most. Even when we are improved and have a player as good as Dearica, we still get steamrolled in conference. It's frustrating. But it sure would have been nice to get Roddreka to the Hyphen. However, when it comes to being an athlete and getting a great education at a great institution, I have a very hard time finding fault with any young person's decision to go to Tech. Duke, Carolina and UVa on the other hand! ;)

Too bad Tech is stuck in neutral with Gregory as their coach. With the new arena (absolutely gorgeous, like a modern Cameron), proximity to midtown, upgraded facilities everywhere on campus, great education, I really don't understand how GT isn't at the top of the ACC in every sport every year. Just goes to show that it's much harder when your AD actually stresses academics unlike some of those other schools in NC.

Our reputation as a wretched WBB program probably hurts us the most. Even when we are improved and have a player as good as Dearica, we still get steamrolled in conference. It's frustrating. But it sure would have been nice to get Roddreka to the Hyphen. However, when it comes to being an athlete and getting a great education at a great institution, I have a very hard time finding fault with any young person's decision to go to Tech. Duke, Carolina and UVa on the other hand! ;)

Too bad Tech is stuck in neutral with Gregory as their coach. With the new arena (absolutely gorgeous, like a modern Cameron), proximity to midtown, upgraded facilities everywhere on campus, great education, I really don't understand how GT isn't at the top of the ACC in every sport every year. Just goes to show that it's much harder when your AD actually stresses academics unlike some of those other schools in NC.

Agree with you if it can be truthfully stated that WF made every effort to recruits Rogers' and Rudd's kids and they chose to go elsewhere, but that is not my understanding.

Agree with you about McCamish. They did a beautiful job with it. Not too big, seating is close to the floor.
GT is still in purgatory due to Hewitt. At the time they fired him GT was paying $875K yr to Gailey and about to start paying $1.4M yr to Hewitt. They also were paying debt on all the new facilities. So they had little money to spend so Radokovich with help from Eddie Fogler hired Gregory at $1M as that was all he could pay.

I will be surprised if Gregory is not let go after the season. I feel for him, he's a good guy, done things the right way and really straightened out the academics which were a mess when he came in, but he doesn't win enough on the court. This year 8 of the 12 losses have been 1 possession games with 1 minute to play and 2 more have been 2 possession games.
GT is no longer paying Gailey and Hewitt's buyout was renegotiated down. GT's current AD is the former Xavier AD and former head of the NCAA Selection committee who hired Thad Matta and Chris Mack at Xavier.

Gregory has lost the fanbase this year. Only about 200 students a game are showing up now after the team looked pretty solid early in the year but hasn't been able to win any close games since Christmas.
You could see the attendence melting away every game in January.
They are celebrating the 1990 Final Four team on Saturday (Lethal Weapon III!!), so maybe that will help turnout a little.

RamblinRed

Rodney hasn't had a great relationship with his ex wife and daughters for a while now (i.e. pre injury). That may have factored into it. They might not have wanted anything to do with Wake.

IIRC, Rodney's daughter that is committed to State plays for Delaney Rudd's AAU team. So, it looks like there remains at least some connection between Rodney's girls and WF.

Again, if the word is that WF went full throttle after Rodney's and Delaney's girls and they chose to go elsewhere, there is nothing that could be done. That does not track with my understanding of how the situation developed.

Rodney hasn't had a great relationship with his ex wife and daughters for a while now (i.e. pre injury). That may have factored into it. They might not have wanted anything to do with Wake.

How long has he been married to his current wife? Anyone know the timeline?

Thrilladome 2.0 is a really nice arena. Wish I could come, already have plans.

With cuse out of the acct we really need to win on Saturday to have any chance of avoiding a Tuesday game. Big game for that seeding.

Single folks going, Oysterfest is happening at Park Tavern after the game. Always a solid time and the weather is gonna be delightful this weekend.

I don't know specifics of the timeline, but I think Rodney and his ex-wife split all the way back to his days in Phoenix. But I could be wrong about that. I think she was still living out there in the house they had when Rodney got in his accident. I think he and Faye got married a couple years before his accident.

I have no idea about the recruitment, was just throwing out an idea. Maybe the ex wife didn't want the girls around Rodney, due to her fractured relationship with him. Speculation.

I don't know specifics of the timeline, but I think Rodney and his ex-wife split all the way back to his days in Phoenix. But I could be wrong about that. I think she was still living out there in the house they had when Rodney got in his accident. I think he and Faye got married a couple years before his accident.

I have no idea about the recruitment, was just throwing out an idea. Maybe the ex wife didn't want the girls around Rodney, due to her fractured relationship with him. Speculation.

Thanks for adding. Always good to get some additional context even tho it's technically none of our business. But at least Roddreka doesn't hate her dad's guts or else I don't think she'd be playing BB and wearing his number.

Back