• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

I never had good luck trying to get my drive to clone to my SSD but I think it was because I was going from a larger non-SSD to a smaller SSD. However, I was able to re-install windows 7 using the same DVD/serial number on the computer with no issue so you should be fine if you go that route. A lot of the SSDs come with cloning software, so maybe give that a try.

I never had good luck trying to get my drive to clone to my SSD but I think it was because I was going from a larger non-SSD to a smaller SSD. However, I was able to re-install windows 7 using the same DVD/serial number on the computer with no issue so you should be fine if you go that route. A lot of the SSDs come with cloning software, so maybe give that a try.

Were you using an OEM version of Windows though?...I've always been under the impression that an OEM version was a one-shot deal and you couldn't use it a 2nd time

Yep, it was an OEM version and it worked without issue. At the very worst you might have to call them to reactivate it but I never even had to do that.

Been getting the itch to do another build, but not sure what I want to do.

Don't really have the money for it at the moment, but I've always enjoyed the planning as much as anything.

Found my old XBOX (original) in the closet, and also have a spare 360...any cool projects to do with these? The original XBOX is probably out since everything is so old, but I would entertain the idea of using the case as a retro kinda HTPC or something if possible.

I've been trying to get any friends that are interested in buying a desktop to let me build them one, but no one seems to be interested lol

Anyone done anything fun recently?

Been getting the itch to do another build, but not sure what I want to do.

Don't really have the money for it at the moment, but I've always enjoyed the planning as much as anything.

Found my old XBOX (original) in the closet, and also have a spare 360...any cool projects to do with these? The original XBOX is probably out since everything is so old, but I would entertain the idea of using the case as a retro kinda HTPC or something if possible.

I've been trying to get any friends that are interested in buying a desktop to let me build them one, but no one seems to be interested lol

Anyone done anything fun recently?

If the original xbox still runs and you have controllers and stuff for it you could defs flash it to run SNES/N64/other emulators and stuff. Did that with my old xbox and it was always nice to pull out when peeps were over. It's been a long time though so I forget the exact process.

If the original xbox still runs and you have controllers and stuff for it you could defs flash it to run SNES/N64/other emulators and stuff. Did that with my old xbox and it was always nice to pull out when peeps were over. It's been a long time though so I forget the exact process.

Yea that's what I was looking at, haven't found a decent tutorial yet, though admittedly I've been looking at other projects first.

What I would like to do is make a dedicated HTPC running XBMC...right now as I mentioned before I have it running on my current desktop with my TV as a second monitor. That's not too bad, but ideally I'd like them separate.

And I'd like to even out my storage too...right now I have two 2TB hdd's, one 1TB, two 500GB and a 64GB ssd

For some reason my OCD wants consistent/even amounts. Would it be better to use NAS? For some reason I'm wary of using RAID even though I'm sure it's better. And NAS seems so expensive.

Basically I'm all over the place just wanting to do SOMETHING

Decided to build a new low profile HTPC and purchased the parts over the weekend.

Excited to start the build tomorrow.

Oh man if I knew this thread existed I wouldn't have posted all of my MONSTER RIG posts in the video game thread.

Decided to build a new low profile HTPC and purchased the parts over the weekend.

Excited to start the build tomorrow.

Here's the HTPC build...didn't need much Power or Specs, and I already have an SSD and HDD for OS and Storage

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($44.29 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $373.22

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 15:57 EST-0500

I get doing a home build for a gaming machine... But for and HTPC I don't see the point (and definitely regret building my own a couple years ago).

The case options are limited, the noise level is poor unless you spend extra, the cost savings are minimal, and the lack of testing makes them more prone to more issues than a standard OEM build. Not to mention you do all that and you still have to deal with Windows Media Center. It's certainly a fun project and can be nice if you're going for a hybrid computer and home theater solution, but to most folks I wouldn't recommend it. Even if you're extremely computer literate. You could get a VivoPC for less, a Mac Mini for slightly more, a Revo for the same amount...

Right....this is going in our living room and will use xbmc and house tons of movies and tv shows as well as emulators for video games and such.

Will perhaps be used as a general pc too, but wanted something customizable.

Right....this is going in our living room and will use xbmc and house tons of movies and tv shows as well as emulators for video games and such.

Will perhaps be used as a general pc too, but wanted something customizable.

I'll be interested to hear how it turns out. Right now I'm really impressed with the Xbone as a Plex Client - I just wish I had a NAS device that supported the native Plex app. That'd probably be ideal.

Obviously wouldn't help in the PC department and games-wise you'd be limited to Xbox Arcade stuff, so not really what you're looking for. I've just never really used a computer in the living room for normal computer things. Really bugs me when your media device is popping up messages about patching or rebooting and all that crap.

Maybe the newer Windows versions are better though. Are you putting in an OTA receiver for live TV?

Nah, we have cable, this will just be for our collection of stored movies/tv series and music for get togethers as well as the emulators for nintendo and n64.

Basically getting netflix/hulu and adding more stuff. We have over 1500-1600 movies and about 125 TV Series. Splitting the cost, so it's not that bad considering we have surround sound and a big screen.

Nah, we have cable, this will just be for our collection of stored movies/tv series and music for get togethers as well as the emulators for nintendo and n64.

Basically getting netflix/hulu and adding more stuff. We have over 1500-1600 movies and about 125 TV Series. Splitting the cost, so it's not that bad considering we have surround sound and a big screen.

Wow, you paid for quite a few movies and series.

Cool. Really the only thing I absolutely hated about the HTPC experience was OTA recording/guide use with Windows Media Center. It was annoying as shit. The rest of it was pretty nice.

I've never had a problem with Newegg, but they are really starting to piss me off.

I placed an order Sunday and paid for Next Day Shipping so that I could build this thing on my days off (Wed/Thurs), the bulk of the order (Mobo/CPU/PSU) hasn't even been shipped yet. I paid close to $80 for shipping and when I talked with Customer Service, they said the best they can do is refund half the shipping, ($39), and hope the package ships today. Even if it ships today, earliest it arrives is Friday. That's 4+ business days, which if I chose that option when ordering would only be <$3.00, yet I will be paying $39 for it.

I bitched some more and got them up to $50.00 refund, but that still just involves me waiting and seeing if it ships, and then getting it when I have a full work week and unable to build it.

So essentially I'm paying $27.81 for 4+ days shipping, or have the option to wait 4-7 business days for a full refund or replacement.

That's just awful.

Damn.

I've always had good interactions with Newegg. Surprising that they pulled that shit on you.

I rarely buy anything from Newegg anymore. I feel like they never capitalized on their momentum in the early 2000s. Their site sucks and Amazon is almost always a better option now.

The only reason I went with newegg over Amazon was because I have a Preferred Account on Newegg and can get 6 months no interest, which helps make the payments a little easier.

But I think I'm just going to ask for a refund and then order from Amazon.

Back