• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

So after not seeing any movement on the tracking info on Newegg at 6pm last night, I went ahead and ordered the parts from Amazon with $15.00 one day shipping.

Woke up this morning and checked newegg and it said "out for delivery"...so I got two packages today with the Mobo/CPU/PSU.

Now I have to figure out which will be easier to ship back.

NewEgg charges restocking on lots of stuff. I stopped using them a couple of years ago.

Ever use Micro center? For instance they are currently advertising AMD FX6300 bundle with Gigabyte motherboard for $89. They have other combos. No restock on anything I've returned.

Awesome...my parents were over and saw my HTPC and then asked for one for their own. Those extra/double shipments will make that pretty easy.

I just got my first ever build up and running yesterday. Everything's working great (except for the stock case fans, but I can figure that out later), but I screwed up when I was setting up my partitions.

I'm trying to make my XP941 128 GB M.2 drive (currently C) a dedicated boot drive, with my 850 Pro 256 GB acting as a primary drive for everything else (currently D). The motherboard (to my surprise) recognized the M.2 drive without any problems, and established it as a boot drive, but it's also the default drive for everything else. I went into the registry and changed that, but I can't figure out a good way to keep all of my user folders on the D. (I managed to manually change docs/music/videos/etc over to D, but "hidden" folders like AppData don't give me that option).

I'm thinking my best bet might just be to reformat both drives and start from scratch? There are a few broken shortcuts scattered throughout Windows from when I tried to manually move the program files folders over to D.

I just got my first ever build up and running yesterday. Everything's working great (except for the stock case fans, but I can figure that out later), but I screwed up when I was setting up my partitions.

I'm trying to make my XP941 128 GB M.2 drive (currently C) a dedicated boot drive, with my 850 Pro 256 GB acting as a primary drive for everything else (currently D). The motherboard (to my surprise) recognized the M.2 drive without any problems, and established it as a boot drive, but it's also the default drive for everything else. I went into the registry and changed that, but I can't figure out a good way to keep all of my user folders on the D. (I managed to manually change docs/music/videos/etc over to D, but "hidden" folders like AppData don't give me that option).

I'm thinking my best bet might just be to reformat both drives and start from scratch? There are a few broken shortcuts scattered throughout Windows from when I tried to manually move the program files folders over to D.

I did this when I set up my machine a few years ago (Windows 7), I found instructions via Google somewhere, but I have Windows system on a 128GB SSD (C: ) and all my userdata files on a regular HDD (F: ), it did require registry changes I recall.

I will say that M.2 drive is FAST. Coming over from a HDD on my other desktop, this is like night and day. Shit finishes booting to my desktop in about 10 seconds.

Ever use Micro center? For instance they are currently advertising AMD FX6300 bundle with Gigabyte motherboard for $89. They have other combos. No restock on anything I've returned.

Just visited ol TW in Ohio and used the opportunity to pick up my Mobo/CPU combo for a build I'm doing. Such a great store, and saved me about 100 dollars or so all told for the combo I got.

Waiting on my GTX 970 to arrive today, then my new build will be complete.. so excited.

I will say that M.2 drive is FAST. Coming over from a HDD on my other desktop, this is like night and day. Shit finishes booting to my desktop in about 10 seconds.

Noticeably faster than an HDD, I bet, but what about an SSD? I'd be interested to see what kind of benchmarks you get for it if you ever get the chance to do a read/write test.

What mobo do you have? I'm assuming your M.2 slot is actually doing PCIe x1 or x2?

Noticeably faster than an HDD, I bet, but what about an SSD? I'd be interested to see what kind of benchmarks you get for it if you ever get the chance to do a read/write test.

What mobo do you have? I'm assuming your M.2 slot is actually doing PCIe x1 or x2?

I would guess that a PCI SSD isn't much different to a user than an SSD. I just have a regular SATA3 SSD, so what do I know.

It's doing x2, but MSI advertises it as a "Turbo M.2 slot" and says it's capable of generation 3 x4 speeds. Problem is there really aren't any M.2 drives on the market that can do that.

The XP941 is the fastest M.2 drive on the mainstream market AFAIK. Where other M.2s run in a modified SATA interface, this is PCI-E only, and based on reviews, that makes a pretty big difference.

You're right that it's probably not NOTABLY faster than a SATA SSD, though.

Mobo is a MSI x99 Gaming 7.

Oh damn, nice. Went with teh x99 board huh. That will definitely have the PCIe lanes to give you insane speeds if they ever make the drive to support it. I imagine they will at some point.

Oh damn, nice. Went with teh x99 board huh. That will definitely have the PCIe lanes to give you insane speeds if they ever make the drive to support it. I imagine they will at some point.

Yeah I was on the fence about going with the x99 or waiting to see what standard the Broadwell/Skylake chips run on. Ended up biting the bullet and future proofing the shit out of an x99 rig.

Decided to go with the 5930 for a CPU. The primary reason I went with that over the 5820 was the lane difference-- 5820 only has 28, while 5930 gives me 40.

I'm planning on getting a second GTX 980 at some point in the next month or two... The mobo is advertised as 3-way SLI, but I'm perfectly happy with 2 if I get those crazy M.2 speeds down the line. (Besides, a dual 980 setup should be fine for 4k gaming for the foreseeable future.)

Yeah I was on the fence about going with the x99 or waiting to see what standard the Broadwell/Skylake chips run on. Ended up biting the bullet and future proofing the shit out of an x99 rig.

Decided to go with the 5930 for a CPU. The primary reason I went with that over the 5820 was the lane difference-- 5820 only has 28, while 5930 gives me 40.

I'm planning on getting a second GTX 980 at some point in the next month or two... The mobo is advertised as 3-way SLI, but I'm perfectly happy with 2 if I get those crazy M.2 speeds down the line. (Besides, a dual 980 setup should be fine for 4k gaming for the foreseeable future.)

Shit, and you went w/ the 980 over the 970!? Dropping some serious BUCKETS $$$.

I'm going to eventually do dual 970s, those should be fine for 4k gaming even tbh, though I think that's a ways off. We still don't even have much of a selection when it comes to 1440p monitors with acceptable refresh rates.

Yeah, I was looking at some 4k monitors but they're all still TN.

G-Sync supposedly makes the refresh rates a non-issue. I'll believe it when I see it. ASUS has a pretty sexy QHD 144hz display out with G-Sync, but it costs ~$750 (and due to limitations with IPS refresh rates, it's a TN panel)

Yeah, I was looking at some 4k monitors but they're all still TN.

G-Sync supposedly makes the refresh rates a non-issue. I'll believe it when I see it. ASUS has a pretty sexy QHD 144hz display out with G-Sync, but it costs ~$750 (and due to limitations with IPS refresh rates, it's a TN panel)

Yeah, exactly, that shit's way too expensive right now.

I think I might actually try and roll w/ a korean monitor/panel and overclock that. There are a couple different models (but really they're the same) that are 27" QHD and people have had pretty good results overclocking them (assuming you get the one that only has 1 dual dvi-d input, the ones with multiple inputs skip frames) to 96hz+.

Yeah, exactly, that shit's way too expensive right now.

I think I might actually try and roll w/ a korean monitor/panel and overclock that. There are a couple different models (but really they're the same) that are 27" QHD and people have had pretty good results overclocking them (assuming you get the one that only has 1 dual dvi-d input, the ones with multiple inputs skip frames) to 96hz+.

Link? I might be interested in that for a short term solution.

Right now I've got a Gateway 22" 1080p from way back in 2007. It's always been fine for my purposes (aside from a couple of dead pixels), but I'd like to move on to a bigger and better display soon. Especially now that I have a GPU that can run circles around it without breaking a sweat.

Back