• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

Cookout, how you feel about the nvidia 970 fiasco?

I'm not Cookout, but I'll tell you that it just doesn't matter. It's still a great card. If I didn't have a 770, I'd probably buy one.

Yeah, those temps seem excessive. I'm idling in the mid 20s right now, haven't run any stress tests yet.

No coil whine on the 980, either. I love how quiet this thing is. Way down the line, I might switch over to a water cooling setup to make it SILENT, but for now, this is great.

Also, the other advantage to x99 right now is dat DDR4. I haven't run any speed tests of my own on them yet, but there's supposedly a considerable bump over DDR3.

Now, if I could just access Origin, battle.net and uPlay remotely like I can with Steam, I could finish downloading games from work and be good to go tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm not Cookout, but I'll tell you that it just doesn't matter. It's still a great card. If I didn't have a 770, I'd probably buy one.

Seems pretty shady from nvidia and I have been a huge fan of them. This isn't an Intel/AMD situation. They don't have as much performance leeway and you'd think they'd treat their customers a bit better.

Seems pretty shady from nvidia and I have been a huge fan of them. This isn't an Intel/AMD situation. They don't have as much performance leeway and you'd think they'd treat their customers a bit better.

Eh, I knew about it before making my purchase (I'm assuming we're talking about the misrepresented specs?), so it's not a big deal to me. The 970 is still a fantastic card for the price.

I don't disagree. I want to believe that it's just an oversight.

Fortunately, none of that changes that the 970 is an awesome card.

Damn, so when I try to reset dis heatsink, do I need to use anything special to clean off thermal compound before re-applying new compound?

I'm thinking mehbe I put too much of that on the first time, only place I could have possibly screwed up since it's lined up and down really tight.

Damn, so when I try to reset dis heatsink, do I need to use anything special to clean off thermal compound before re-applying new compound?

I'm thinking mehbe I put too much of that on the first time, only place I could have possibly screwed up since it's lined up and down really tight.

I always do the grain of rice application.

I would be pissed if I had bought one now. The Oculus will use significantly more vram when gaming and this will most certainly hamper performance.

I would be pissed if I had bought one now. The Oculus will use significantly more vram when gaming and this will most certainly hamper performance.

Yeah but if you have two of them....

I am of the opinion that for my use case, DDR3 vs. DDR4 is not going to be a big deal for me. The truly faster DDR4 sticks seem to sell at a big multiple of the DDR3 sticks. I am not an aggressive overclocker, and my M.O. is to play games that are at least a year past their release date (often more) so I'm always operating behind the bleeding edge of gaming. Seems to me I should be OK with a DDR3 setup for the foreseeable future. Interested in hearing arguments to the contrary though.

I always do the grain of rice application.

Shit, I did a big pea sized lump. Hopefully that's the problem, I'd hate to have to RMA this heatsink if it has something else wrong with it.

I am of the opinion that for my use case, DDR3 vs. DDR4 is not going to be a big deal for me. The truly faster DDR4 sticks seem to sell at a big multiple of the DDR3 sticks. I am not an aggressive overclocker, and my M.O. is to play games that are at least a year past their release date (often more) so I'm always operating behind the bleeding edge of gaming. Seems to me I should be OK with a DDR3 setup for the foreseeable future. Interested in hearing arguments to the contrary though.

Yeah, you'll be fine for gaming, will hit bottlenecks elsewhere before the differences in RAM speed there make a difference I think.

Shit, I did a big pea sized lump. Hopefully that's the problem, I'd hate to have to RMA this heatsink if it has something else wrong with it.

That's definitely your problem. Get some rubbing alcohol and remove the current paste and reapply.

I told you building a new computer sucked.

Eh, it's running everything perfectly right now, gets to 45-50 maybe when gaming. I'm just a perfectionist and also want to OC it, otherwise I'd just leave it as is.

IIRC, last time I did a pea and used the pressure from the HSF to spread it out.

So a work friend wants me to install Windows 8 on his new laptop that came with a 30 day trial. Should I just help him upgrade (I'm assuming it asks you to purchase a product key after 30 days?), or buy a CD and install it for him?

Any chance a total computer nerd can ask a simple question? I bought a new Dell Desktop that came equipped with McAfee AntiVirus and now after a month they want $19.95 for a year protection. I don't do many complex things with the computer but do use Quicken and online banking so I would like some protection without paying an arm and a leg

Good deal or is there something else I should look into? Thanks.

I've always just used Avast + SpyBot for internet security. They're both free, and they get the job done pretty well.

Any chance a total computer nerd can ask a simple question? I bought a new Dell Desktop that came equipped with McAfee AntiVirus and now after a month they want $19.95 for a year protection. I don't do many complex things with the computer but do use Quicken and online banking so I would like some protection without paying an arm and a leg

Good deal or is there something else I should look into? Thanks.

Microsoft Security Essentials is good, but you could also go with AVG free.

Back