• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

1000 to 1200 would be more than enough to get you a solid 3-4 years

I'm just looking for a quick, simple answer here: if I built my own PC, how much would I need to budget to make something good enough to capably run games? I don't care about having the best specs possible, necessarily. I don't notice tiny differences in framerates all that much.

This is a great site to get you started.

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/

My build cost about $1200 all in. You can probably build something decent for more like $600-700 but the thing is, in 2 years you might need to put more money into it whereas I expect mine to be good for 4-5 years. The main costs are graphics card and mobo/cpu. Even on a budget build, I think you want to invest in a mobo that's somewhat future-proof, that way you have the opportunity to upgrade your CPU later on down the road. On the graphics card, check out the Tom's Hardware best graphics card for the money site and consider trying to hit the lowest price/performance sweet spot and plan to upgrade in 2 years.

1000 to 1200 would be more than enough to get you a solid 3-4 years

Yeah this is about what I would guess too, if you think you'll need to at minimum with a Nvidia 970 to future-proof a bit.

One way to save would be to re-use existing components, like optical drive, hard drive and Windows license. I was not able/willing to reuse my old hard drive or Windows license but I did save $20 (lol) by reusing my old optical drive.

One way to save would be to re-use existing components, like optical drive, hard drive and Windows license. I was not able/willing to reuse my old hard drive or Windows license but I did save $20 (lol) by reusing my old optical drive.

If you buy an OEM license of Windows, it's tied to the motherboard and can't be (legally) transferred.

If you buy an OEM license of Windows, it's tied to the motherboard and can't be (legally) transferred.

That's what I've always heard, too, I even mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Is that like a "You can't download music unless you buy the album" thing, or is it literally impossible to use an OEM copy on another PC?

That's what I've always heard, too, I even mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Is that like a "You can't download music unless you buy the album" thing, or is it literally impossible to use an OEM copy on another PC?

It's very possible to do. As long as you're outside the Window Microsoft considers applicable for switching hardware (90 days IIRC), they won't throw up any flags. It's just not legal.

Since everyone but me, Ph and Numbers are lawyers, I thought they'd like to know.

It's very possible to do. As long as you're outside the Window Microsoft considers applicable for switching hardware (90 days IIRC), they won't throw up any flags. It's just not legal.

Since everyone but me, Ph and Numbers are lawyers, I thought they'd like to know.

Uh, for normal people this is not easy to do. If you have an OEM version you'd have to defeat the activation stuff which is a huge pain in the ass.

If you bought your copy of Windows it's fine, you have to call and run through an automated transfer thing.

Uh, for normal people this is not easy to do. If you have an OEM version you'd have to defeat the activation stuff which is a huge pain in the ass.

If you bought your copy of Windows it's fine, you have to call and run through an automated transfer thing.

You can just re-install / reactivate. Microsoft's checks don't come back with a problem as long as you haven't activated recently. Or, you can call and get it done that way.

You can just re-install / reactivate. Microsoft's checks don't come back with a problem as long as you haven't activated recently. Or, you can call and get it done that way.

No, you can't. Have you actually tried this? An OEM Windows installer on, say, a Dell system is tagged to a number of identifiers established prior to the sale of the computer and again when it is first activated. If you try to use the CD you get when you bought the computer it won't work at all.

If you try to manually copy the software and re-use the key it will fail activation. Many people run an activation hack to get around it but it's a huge pain and you have to be extremely careful patching your system or it'll get locked out.

OEM Windows copies are not legally transferable to any other computer. If you call them and say you owned a Dell and now you're building your own PC and ditching the old one but want to re-use the copy of Windows you own they'll tell you tough luck.

No, you can't. Have you actually tried this? An OEM Windows installer on, say, a Dell system is tagged to a number of identifiers established prior to the sale of the computer and again when it is first activated. If you try to use the CD you get when you bought the computer it won't work at all.

If you try to manually copy the software and re-use the key it will fail activation. Many people run an activation hack to get around it but it's a huge pain and you have to be extremely careful patching your system or it'll get locked out.

OEM Windows copies are not legally transferable to any other computer. If you call them and say you owned a Dell and now you're building your own PC and ditching the old one but want to re-use the copy of Windows you own they'll tell you tough luck.

I know people who do it. Not with a Dell system, but someone who buys a MB from New Egg and an OEM copy of Windows re-using the copy when they buy a system.

I know people who do it. Not with a Dell system, but someone who buys a MB from New Egg and an OEM copy of Windows re-using the copy when they buy a system.

Wait, maybe we're confusing terms. You can't buy an OEM copy of Windows. The point of naming it OEM is that it is bundled with a new branded system and was not purchased independently.

Of course you can buy a full copy of Windows from NewEgg and transfer it to new machine. That's what I meant by "if you bought your copy."

Yeah, so that gets tied to the first motherboard you install it against and can never be moved.

- No direct support from Microsoft support with an OEM copy

- OEM copies are tied to the first computer you install and activate it on (you can upgrade everything on the computer except the motherboard).

Yeah, so that gets tied to the first motherboard you install it against and can never be moved.

- No direct support from Microsoft support with an OEM copy

- OEM copies are tied to the first computer you install and activate it on (you can upgrade everything on the computer except the motherboard).

Then we agree. Legally, it can't be done, which is what I said initially. I'm dropping it there because I don't really wish to go around in circles with this.

Yea that was my question, I know that LEGALLY and per Microsoft's direction, you can only install it on 1 machine.

But will it fail activation or give you activation warnings if you install it on a newly built PC 2 years later using the same key.

Yea that was my question, I know that LEGALLY and per Microsoft's direction, you can only install it on 1 machine.

But will it fail activation or give you activation warnings if you install it on a newly built PC 2 years later using the same key.

Yes, it will fail initialization and you will not be able to activate it later. It's not just "illegal." It will not work. You can't call Microsoft and say you built a new PC and would like to transfer it. That's why those versions are designated OEM.

Buy a non-OEM designated "Full Version" if you want to move it later. Per Microsoft, here are the differences:

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

I've gotten OEM Windows reactivated by saying my motherboard died and pleading technical ignorance otherwise. "My son replaced it but said I had to call and 'reactivate' it for some reason"

I've gotten OEM Windows reactivated by saying my motherboard died and pleading technical ignorance otherwise. "My son replaced it but said I had to call and 'reactivate' it for some reason"

That's impossible.

Also, Googling the topic will show people who auto activated when the changed nearly everything in their computer and some who fail activation when they change out their DVD drive. It's not the Fort Knox of systems that DCD makes it out to be.

It's still against licensing agreements.

Back