• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

That and buying MSI. ;)

Asus all the way.

I like MSI! They had the best feature set / spec combo for x99 boards when I was buying, which, again, was pretty friggin' early in the x99 lifecycle. Though, in retrospect, I wish I had gone with a board that had integrated wifi.

I have kind of a mashup of a bunch of brands, though. MSI MOBO, EVGA GPUs and PSU, NZXT case, G.Skill RAM, Asus monitor.

FWIW, I had to RMA my Asus monitor like three times because of IPS light bleed, and even now I'm living with some light bleed in the bottom right.

My last 2 mobos have been Asus and I've been very happy with them. Never done an MSI, but they're good stuff too.

I do stick with Corsair for PSU and memory. I love EVGA for GPUs. My case is a Fractal Design.

My mobo has wifi, but I've never used it. That's a connection for laptops. :D

oh ffs

I got the RMA'd mobo back from MSI yesterday. Spent a couple hours putting it back together, only to try to boot it and get another error code. It's still not posting at all, and the error codes alternate between early south bridge initialization, early memory initialization, and late CPU initialization.

The mobo does have a dual BIOS switch, so I tried both to no avail, even though I'm assuming with it being a refurbished board, they're both stock BIOS. Also tried resetting the CMOS.

I'm going to reseat everything again tonight, but fuck. I was poking around on tomshardware and msi forums last night, and a few different people helping with similar error codes said that they may need to flash a BIOS update for CPU compatibility, but this is an x99 board, and my CPU was literally one of the first three 2011-3 chips to launch, so I can't imagine that would be necessary.

I really just don't want to have to go through another three week RMA process with MSI again. On the other hand, better that than finding out the CPU is bricked. I dunno. Gonna take it back to a shop if I can't figure it out tonight.

board. doesn't even get to post or load bios

just powers up and sorta sits there. the gpus stop and restart their fans every 5 seconds or so. keyboard doesn't seem to be powered, but the mouse LEDs work. screen sits black for a few seconds before going to sleep.

I did notice a pin missing in the USB 3.0 connector on the mobo, but I don't think that's it, since I know that a USB 3.0 port is successfully powering the mouse, at least

I doubt that's it either. Sorry, man. I know the feeling of odd mobo problems.

Also, double-check your mobo mounting and that it's not shorting somewhere. In that case, I'd think it wouldn't even power on.

Ok. so strange issue.

Working with a desktop PC (grandma's). Desktop keeps losing internet connection literally every 30 seconds or so. Ethernet connected, will show the red X, show the wireless signal, then connect back to ethernet.

She has gotten a new modem, new ethernet cables, new coaxial, everything. TWC has run new lines and everything has been replaced.

Plug a laptop into ethernet and it never loses connection, same on wireless, so it is a PC issue.

Have run virus scan, updated Windows and Ethernet adapter drivers. Have uninstalled recently installed programs and still cannot get the internet to stay connected.

Tried static IP and changing modem settings, but cannot get this damn thing to work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Bad ethernet port on the mobo? Buy a usb ethernet adapter to test.

Really random thing solution.

Realtek ethernet adapter(s) apparently has a bunch of properties that you can enable or disable, and one was called "Energy Efficient Ethernet". As soon as I disabled that property, the issue was resolved.

Not sure what it is, but it sounds dumb.

Anyway...was able to resolve the issue, but thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

It is time for an UPDATE:

Mobo: Take 3 finally came in yesterday. On April 3rd. Fuck everything.

Anyway, I went to go reassemble it and I noticed that I somehow misplaced 3 (out of a possible 4) heatsink mount screws for the CPU. Best as I can tell, I must have accidentally sent them with the RMA'd mobo, and for some reason one was either left behind, or MSI returned one to me, or who the hell knows.

Bottom line is, those are, as far as I know, fan-specific (i.e., I don't think I can just reorder screws), so I took the opportunity to make the switch to a liquid cooler. I am a little nervous, because I have heard horror stories about leaks, but I am a big fan of NZXT's build quality, and their new Kraken series has gotten great reviews. We'll see how it goes. Downside is the price, plus I have to wait yet another week for the damn rig to be back up and running.

i do not know what that means

it's a closed-end system, i was made to believe there would be little setup and no maintenance

i do not know what that means

it's a closed-end system, i was made to believe there would be little setup and no maintenance

Oh, so you don't actually have to do any tubing or filling. You just attach to your CPU and plug to power.

With most liquid cooled systems, you run the tubing, fill a reservoir and then bleed the air out the system to increase conductivity and reduce strain on the pump.

Back