• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Technology Thread: Building a Desktop Computer

There's no way they've sent me three straight bricked motherboards, right? It has to be something else. I'm going to try to find a different PC repair shop to diagnose this. Fuck.

I've had bad sticks of memory completely FUBAR a computer and keep it from booting before.

I took it to a different shop today. They just called me back and told me that the CPU was physically damaged, because the heatsink screws were too tight, and the processor is bowed top to bottom.

So that's good. Pretty sure that would mean I can't RMA it, though I guess I'll still try to? Ugh. This is some shit luck. I've never even heard of that happening... How is that even possible?

I took it to a different shop today. They just called me back and told me that the CPU was physically damaged, because the heatsink screws were too tight, and the processor is bowed top to bottom.

So that's good. Pretty sure that would mean I can't RMA it, though I guess I'll still try to? Ugh. This is some shit luck. I've never even heard of that happening... How is that even possible?

Yeah, that's odd. I though most used tension screws you can't overtighten. I've only used Noctua for a bit though.

Yeah, that's odd. I though most used tension screws you can't overtighten. I've only used Noctua for a bit though.

I dunno. The fan I've always used (Phanteks) had tension screws. The Kraken x62 I just got didn't. No idea which one caused the issue; if it was the Kraken, then that probably means there's another hardware issue somewhere that's been causing problems with the MOBO POSTing. If it was the Phanteks, then I probably just need a new CPU and all my issues are solved.

The problem with this hardware build is that when I take it to a place for diagnostics, they all tell me that it's hard to diagnose a 2011-3 socket setup, because the processors aren't just lying around. Which, yeah, hey, that's why I'm taking it to you, assholes.

I'm just sorta bummed. Best case scenario, Intel accepts the RMA. Fingers crossed, I guess.

Just got off of the phone with an Intel rep. The replacement process sounds pretty straightforward, and a lot faster than MSI's. She said I could either ship the processor at my own expense, and then receive the replacement in 6 business days, or I could pay $25 nonrefundable, plus the cost of the processor (plus taxes and fees) to have a replacement CPU overnighted, and then receive a refund for the cost of the processor when I send back the broken one.

I opted for the first option, because I'm not sure they're going to accept the RMA in the first place, and I don't want to bet $650 on finding out.

IT LIVES. a couple of weird things still going on, but I think it's mostly on the software end at this point.

I'm still trying to get the damn thing to boot off of the new M.2, which was the original problem I was trying to solve back in January before shit hit the fan. One of the other SSDs isn't being detected, but I haven't double checked the connection on it yet. Possible I forgot to connect a SATA cable.

It's also taking a weirdly long time (~10s) to get to the boot sequence after it turns on, and I'm not really sure what that could be. It used to go from off to desktop in ~12s, so that would be a significant slowdown, and everything I've replaced (namely the M.2 upgrade) should make things faster, not slower.

I have an internal USB header hub coming in today, because I was down a USB 2.0 slot with the Kraken x62's HUE+ controller. I guess that could be causing an initiation delay, with one of the USB 2.0's connectors just dangling unconnected, but I doubt it. I'll have to test some things tonight.

I guess I'll use this thread.

I have a weird internet issue. I am currently paying for the highest internet speed from Spectrum/TWC. The internet and streaming services work fine when I am watching something.

However, if I try to stream my own gameplay on something like twitch, my connection works fine for 30 or so seconds at a time when my bitrate drops to zero and packets are lost at say 30%, and then climb back to their previous rates. It happens every 30 seconds or so, which makes viewers understandably frustrated.

I have ruled out hardware issues pretty much, and the issue happens with both a wired and wireless connection. I have removed all other devices from the modem/router combo besides the desktop PC in question and the issue persists. I've had Spectrum out, they've ran a brand new line, changed the coax connections and cables throughout the house and provided me with a new modem. I've had signal issues in the past and have a signal booster provided by TWC on the connection. The issue still persists.

Any thoughts on what it could be that would basically recycle the connection for outgoing streams every 30 seconds? Any help is appreciated.

It's TWC throttling your connection, they're notorious for that. For example I had TWC 100mbs and YouTube and Netflix would buffer a ton. I moved and got Google fiber 100mbs and never had a problem again. Basically TWC is routing your bandwidth through multiple unneeded IP addresses

It's TWC throttling your connection, they're notorious for that. For example I had TWC 100mbs and YouTube and Netflix would buffer a ton. I moved and got Google fiber 100mbs and never had a problem again. Basically TWC is routing your bandwidth through multiple unneeded IP addresses

And they won't do anything about that? They really wanna send technicians out every month, run new lines, replace equipment?

Off the immediate subject, I got a Linksys Orbi yesterday. It's pretty fantastic.

And they won't do anything about that? They really wanna send technicians out every month, run new lines, replace equipment?

I tried to talk to them, you can run a command prompt and see where they're routing your bandwidth through and it bounces around a lot on streaming services. Google it

Oblong, what exactly is the speed you pay for? I can't remember what TWC offers, but in the past I remember even their expensive/fast packages offered very little upload bandwidth, it was all about guaranteed download speeds. That might also be a factor since it's only happening when you are live streaming/having to push things up the pipe, but I don't know if TWC offers better packages now in that regard than they used to.

Oblong, what exactly is the speed you pay for? I can't remember what TWC offers, but in the past I remember even their expensive/fast packages offered very little upload bandwidth, it was all about guaranteed download speeds. That might also be a factor since it's only happening when you are live streaming/having to push things up the pipe, but I don't know if TWC offers better packages now in that regard than they used to.

I believe it's 200/20.

Alright, hopefully a painfully simple question to answer, but I cannot figure it out. Bought a new Arris surfboard modem router combo (SBG6900) to replace the SBG6580. Old one would range to the entire house. The new one should be a better more powerful range, but it wont make it to the opposite side of the house. The new one is in the same spot as the old one. What gives?

tired of my boot SSD telling me it's full (60GB) was pretty big when I put this thing together 6/7 years ago.

just bought a 500GB SSD that's gonna be my C:/

any idea how to effectively migrate my windows install to the new drive?

Back