• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

teen jailed for sarcastic internet comment

davejuice

Reaction score
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...years-after-violent-league-of-legends-threat/

But on occasion, online misbehavior goes too far. Such is the case with Justin Carter, a teenager from Texas who has been jailed since February for something he said during a game of League of Legends. The quote? After being called “insane” by another player, Carter responded by saying:

“Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts.”

sooooooo......

The kid added "lol" and "jk" immediately after he made the comment. The case is insane. And fuck that reporter. "His time served should teach him a lesson, and he should probably go to court ordered therapy or something similar." That kid should not have served a day and does not need court ordered therapy. On the other hand, the Canadian woman who looked up his personal info and reported him to authorities definitely needs to be committed and if there was any justice in this world the people involved in prosecuting this case would be the ones imprisoned.

Here's a longer article that gives a better sense of what happened:
Jennifer Carter: February 13th was when he was playing League of Legends and I’m not sure and no one seems to be sure why it spilled over into Facebook, but it did. There were a few people involved in this argument and there was some post made on the site while they were playing and so when he was on Facebook the person whose Facebook page it was said ‘Well you’re f****d in the head and crazy.’ And Justin, if you knew my son, is incredibly sarcastic.
He has a very sarcastic, dark sense of humor and he unfortunately said the equivalent of ‘Oh yeah I’m so messed in the head I’m going to go kill a kindergarten and eat their hearts.’ Immediately after his statement he posted ‘lol’ and ‘j/k’ and the argument continued from there, but the only evidence we have from the DA’s office is a screen capture of his statement and the previous statement. Just Justin’s and the previous statement.
MM: That’s all Justin’s attorney has been presented with by the DA is a screen capture of a couple of Facebook messages?

JC: Yes. The next day, February 14th, he (Justin) went to work. He’s 18. He has his own apartment, well he lived in an apartment with a roommate and he had a job in San Antonio, and the Sheriffs came to his job and arrested him. Then he was transported from San Antonio to Austin because the woman in Canada found his father’s address where he used to live which is 100 yards from an elementary school. At that point, he sat in jail and bond set at $250,000. His father and I don’t have that kind of money. We thought honestly that yeah that was a pretty bad thing that he said and we can see why they would be concerned after the shooting in Newtown happened a couple months before. So ya everyone was on edge. There have been other teenagers arrested for comments made in Facebook and things of that nature. We thought that once the police talked to him, which we thought would be that day, they would understand it was a stupid comment that he made a dumb joke and once they searched his home they would see there were no weapons and he wasn’t a threat. Basically nothing happened until March 13th. He sat in jail from February 14th until March 13 without being questioned by the police. No one was questioned by the police. They went to his father’s house a week after he was arrested and asked did Justin live here which his father said no, and they asked if he had any guns or permits for guns which Justin’s father said no and that was it. Then he sat in jail.

MM: No explanation why they had him cooling his heels in jail for a month?

JC: None. On March 13th he was questioned by the detectives and he thought best thing for him to do would be to tell the truth. He told them that yes he made the statement and it was a joke and I feel terrible. It was taken badly and I’m sorry for scaring people I didn’t mean to. I didn’t think people would see it or that anyone would be afraid of it. He told them that he did not live in Austin that he lived in New Braunfels and that was it. They questioned him and got his information and then a week after he was questioned they searched his home in New Braunfels and the only thing they found was his computer. He doesn’t have any guns. They confiscated his computer and the only thing that happened after that they transferred him from Austin to New Braunfels and raised his bond to half a million dollars. We don’t know why.

MM: No explanation on that either? (The increase in bail amount.)

JC: No, and this was after they searched his home and found no weapons, and we assume they looked us up and saw we had no weapons. They basically had done all the investigating and the judge raised the bond to half a million dollars which of course we really couldn’t afford to get him out and he’s been in jail ever since.
MM: How is Justin holding up? I know it’s a mess for you and Justin’s father trying to figure out the legal side but where is his mind?

JC: Well you know at first he was sure that as soon as he spoke to the police he would get out and he was a little naive in that way. His father and I both counseled him NOT to talk to the police without his attorney present and he said ‘No I’m just going to tell the truth’ and that’s what he did. After they transferred him to New Braunfels and raised his bond he became very depressed and he (sobbing) this is kind of the hard part to talk about. It’s incredibly hard to talk to your child on the phone and hear them think they are never going to see the sun again and have them try and bargain with you that they will never play a video game again if they can just be free.’I promise I will never go on Facebook again or go near a computer again if I can just be free. I’m sorry.’ So he’s feeling pretty helpless, and when the DA for New Braunfels said the only plea bargain they would be willing to go with was 8 years in prison he got very depressed.
MM: So they want to offer 8 years in prison in return for an admission for something hes already admitted he did?

JC: Basically yes. So they don’t have to take it to trial and forget that it happened and that he exists. Yeah he became very hopeless and depressed. He’s had a pretty rough time in jail. He’s never been in any kind of trouble before and hes not really familiar with the criminal world. Yeah so he’s been transferred quite a few times after being assaulted in jail. They keep switching him from unit to unit and apparently after the last time he was assaulted the guards were concerned that he would try and kill himself and they placed him in solitary for his own protection. So now he’s in solitary confinement.

MM: How long has he been in solitary?

JC: Two weeks now I think. At first he was not liking it but now he thinks at least he’s safe and no one can hurt him.

MM: Now what is next in the legal proceedings? As far as hearings?

JC: He has a hearing on Monday July 1st. It’s a pretrial hearing where his attorney is going to ask for his bond to be reduced and again try to plea bargain with the DA’s office and see if they are willing to go lower then they are offering. On our side we are hoping they will just release him. That would be the dream scenario, but you know we would like them to drop it to a misdemeanor charge so that he doesn’t have felony terrorism on his background check for the rest of his life. Maybe he can do community service and talk to other teenagers and warn them to think about what they say before they say it online. There is one part (of myself) that just wants to get him out, but then there’s another part (of myself) that is just so angry that this is even happening and that we are supposed to have freedom of speech in this country and even if we don’t like them (comments) we are supposed to be able to say them without fear.
http://www.freetoplay.tv/news/justin-carter-jailed-league-of-legends/

Try saying,"I've got a bomb in my carry on, no i'm joking" and see how you are treated in an airport.

Arresting him was too much, but the cops had to question him. Without questioning him, how would they know he really was joking and not trying to throw them off the trail.

They should have scared the shit out of the kid. That way he and his friends don't keep doing it.

The prosecutor won't accept a plea deal of less than 8 years in prison? WTF? Our court system is fucked in the head.

If arrests for this sort of thing were common, every one of us would be in prison.

“Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts.”

How is a heart still, yet beating?

How is a heart still, yet beating?

why question the mind of an insane delusional psychopathic killer?

The police, judge, and prosecutor are the ones who belong in jail for this idiocy. The kid is on suicide watch.

this story makes me scared to tell the other players in battlefield that i'm going to rape them.

worst thing about this to me is that this kid has lost directly half a year of his life, and you only get to be 19 and in high school once. all his friends are going to move up a grade level as well. i know i've just touched the surface, but this is going to continue to have a major impact on him when he gets out of prison, which it looks like may be awhile.

this story makes me scared to tell the other players in battlefield that i'm going to rape them.

worst thing about this to me is that this kid has lost directly half a year of his life, and you only get to be 19 and in high school once. all his friends are going to move up a grade level as well. i know i've just touched the surface, but this is going to continue to have a major impact on him when he gets out of prison, which it looks like may be awhile.

Pretty scary stuff. Surprised this is still going on. Seems such a simple thing to solve. Kid was trash talking on a video game. Unreal.

The police, judge, and prosecutor are the ones who belong in jail for this idiocy. The kid is on suicide watch.

Hard to feel sorry for the kid if he's on suicide watch over this. It's probably overkill, but you gotta understand it from the people who don't know him who heard him say that. That's something that you hear after a person shoots up a school. "I played League of Legends with him online and he would say that he was going to shoot up a school. I just thought he was being sarcastic. I wish I had let somebody know." This is like joking about a bomb in an airport. Don't be stupid. I'm not going to feel sorry for someone who thinks joking about shooting up kids is quality sarcasm.

Back