• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about Baltimore

I'll assume you'll be working in either Aberdeen or Fort Meade. If not, don't read further because this will be completely useless information. But just rent cheaply for a year in the suburbs until they come up. Because of all the hospitals your wife shouldn't have a problem finding a job up here, the area is littered with nurses that found jobs in like five seconds.

Aberdeen - just live somewhere in the northern suburbs like White Marsh
Fort Meade - all of the areas are more or less the same, just avoid Glen Burnie not because its unsafe but because its supertrashy.

Both areas will have supereasy access to downtown. Then reasses in a few months/year when the rest are up here on a permanent basis and you are more familiar with everything.

Camden Yards is also great. I work downtown and I walk up to some games in the spring/summer. It's a lot of fun. I don't live here yet, but it seems you can avoid a lot of trouble simply being aware of your surroundings.

Like fax, I have two little kids and will likely live in North Baltimore or Towson. Canton is another great area for young people as well. There are tons of neat neighborhoods here.

Will be working at the Customs House. Is parking fairly easy there?

I'll assume you'll be working in either Aberdeen or Fort Meade. If not, don't read further because this will be completely useless information. But just rent cheaply for a year in the suburbs until they come up. Because of all the hospitals your wife shouldn't have a problem finding a job up here, the area is littered with nurses that found jobs in like five seconds.

Aberdeen - just live somewhere in the northern suburbs like White Marsh
Fort Meade - all of the areas are more or less the same, just avoid Glen Burnie not because its unsafe but because its supertrashy.

Both areas will have supereasy access to downtown. Then reasses in a few months/year when the rest are up here on a permanent basis and you are more familiar with everything.

Was originally told Ft. Meade. Got moved to Customs House.

Extremely convienent to the Block. Nice.

That's the heart of downtown, so no idea what the arrangements are like. But if its not a garage, no.

One of my favorite names for a bar is in Fells Point- And The Horse You Came In On

Although I haven't been there in ten years or more, G&M ( a local place) used to make great crab cakes.

One of my favorite names for a bar is in Fells Point- And The Horse You Came In On

Although I haven't been there in ten years or more, G&M ( a local place) used to make great crab cakes.

G&M still has great crab cakes. There is a bar in Fell's called Max's Taphouse that I love. So many beers.

people who crap on Baltimore fall into two camps: A. hardly been there or B. cities are scary

the culture there is awesome. be smart about the neighborhoods and enjoy.

Had a great time when I was there for my marathon. The Inner Harbor and Fed Hill areas are a good time.

Add in Fell's Point and Little Italy too. Good times in all those places.

A friend's kid went to Hopkins. When they were moving her into the dorms as a freshman some locals stole her desk out of their car. While it's not great, the neighborhood around Hopkins is far from the worst one in Baltimore.

wire.jpg

Parking in bmore is a nightmare. I'm convinced the cars on the street don't move for months at a time.

They may end up giving you parking in the lot out back, but if not, there are several garages around there with monthly options.

The Renaissance hotel (1 1/2 blocks away) has a safe 24/7 garage that is $155 per month. 300 East Lombard (1 block away) is about $200 per month. If you don't want to bother with a monthly pass, 400 East Pratt (across Lombard from the Customs House) is $10 per day if you're in before 9 AM and out before 7 PM. There's also a surface lot across from the Renaissance that they just reconfigured, so I'm not sure what the monthly price is now. There isn't much street parking in the area. Also, don't park anywhere north of the Customs House (i.e., away from the Inner Harbor) if you value your car.

People are assholes and taxes are high just like everywhere from DC northward. That's all you really need to know, but the post pointing out the positives and negatives was pretty good.

Also, don't park anywhere north of the Customs House (i.e., away from the Inner Harbor) if you value your car.

omg teh gheys in Mount Vernon might steal your car!!!!1 Unless you're referring to the block, where there actually isn't that much random crime at all because of the huge police presence and the police HQ right around the corner.

Keep your head on a swivel. Baltimore invented the knockout game. Only they rob you after you hit the pavement face first.

I love Cross Streets Market. Good food and cheap drinks... Enjoy!

Back