• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about European football clubs

He looks like the artist Francesco Clemente (he's gone bald since this pic).
clemente.jpg

I would have bet Sunderland based on appearance but hey god throws us all curveballs sometimes

Why in the hell would somebody not love the promotion/relegation set up? It's awesome.

Tell me what makes it awesome. I like the idea of a league remaining intact for a long period of time, not having teams constantly dropped just because they have a bad season. But that's just my first impression. And I have to find a team on the continent to pull for.

Relegation is needed in American sports. Reward teams that beat their competition and give them a chance to prove themselves at a higher level, what's not to love? Your local team could hit a good streak and suddenly the Durham Bulls, Charleston Riverdogs, WS Dash, are playing in the major leagues. Rivalries in US pro sports are largely fabricated anyways so there's not really anything to preserve. If it's a real rivalry, both teams should be at the same level and therefore wouldn't likely be relegated away from playing each other.

As a side note, last time each of the top clubs were relegated:

Arsenal : 1912-1913
Liverpool : 1953-1954
Man United : 1973-1974
Man City: 2000-2001
Chelsea : 1987-1988

Tell me what makes it awesome. I like the idea of a league remaining intact for a long period of time, not having teams constantly dropped just because they have a bad season. But that's just my first impression. And I have to find a team on the continent to pull for.

Because it would make Lions-jaguar games matter.

Would you like to see Wake relegated to the Big South 90% of the time? I think that would suck. Also, I think Livorno is gonna be my non-EPL team but I haven't looked at South American teams so maybe one of them will be a better fit.

It's awesome, huh? Has there been a team less relegated than Manchester United?

No team in England has never been relegated from the top flight, however, Arsenal has the longest run of being in the top flight with being there since 1919.

For comparison, Manchester United last got relegated in 1974.

If a team has a shitty year there should be a consequence. Earn your way back up to the higher divisions.

I love the idea that we could go over there, start a club, and work our club up the ranks and end up in the Premier League.

In 2005 when the Glazer family bought Manchester United a group of supporters broke off and formed their own club, FC United of Manchester. They started at the bottom of their region (northwest of England), but are now in the Northern Premier League Premier Division (basically division 7 of 10 of English football.) I think their story is so cool and they are close to making it to the Conference this season (6th division).

Another thing that makes is awesome, IMO, is that there aren't a limited number of teams like we have here in the States. Why only 30 or so teams competing? Why not have more that can work their way up the ladder based on merits? Instead of teams staying shitty and suffering no consequences what-so-ever they would be dropped down to a lower division.

America also needs to get rid of the draft system in their sports. But that's another argument...

Would you like to see Wake relegated to the Big South 90% of the time? I think that would suck. Also, I think Livorno is gonna be my non-EPL team but I haven't looked at South American teams so maybe one of them will be a better fit.

We are talking professional sports here.

Does England have the highest number of leagues? I mean holy crap, 10?!

Also, listen to the Men in Blazers podcast with Barry Hearn and then adopt Leighton Orient straightaway.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

The concept of promotion/relegation clearly applies only to professional sports.

Consider this: on a Wednesday in early May, 2nd to last date on the PL calendar, a game between shitty Sunderland and West Brom teams actually could and will matter.

Imagine if on a cold December day, the Jags and Bills (this pains me) were battling it out to see how got to stay in the NFL. That game would go from meaningless to one worth millions and millions of dollars. It couldn't work in the NFL, but boy would it be awesome.

And why do you draw a distinction between it being applicable to pro and not college. College sports are big business now and about the $. Look at what CBS paid for the NCAA Tournament.

Has relegation bankrupted teams?

No. Teams actually get "parachute" payments for a few years if they get relegated to help them out financially.

Stupid decisions by Harry Redknapp bankrupts teams. He is the guy that looks like Droopy.

harry-redknapp_2436377b.jpg

Back