• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about European football clubs

Somehow the football leagues around the world have survived without "parity". Amazing. Maybe, just maybe, Americans don't know as much as they wish they did? Maybe there are multiple ways to run successful sports leagues?

At least we will always be "WORLD CHAMPIONS!" in the sports we invented. USA! USA! USA! USA!

Clearly the EPL model works for millions of fans around the world. I never argued otherwise. Just saying I personally prefer the parity of the NFL.

Last edited:
Oh good! You know how to do research on the internet. This is most good news.

Now, here's a task. Look up the percentage of clubs that bounce right back up the next season to the Premiership after getting relegated to the Championship. Without looking it up myself, I'll guess it is under 33%, which would be 1 in 3 of the teams relegated the season before.

I bet it's way less than that. Off the top of my head, the only team in the last 4 years to bounce back immediately was West Ham.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Well at least BSF4L is getting an accurate idea of what the EPL thread looks like on a daily basis!

I bet it's way less than that. Off the top of my head, the only team in the last 4 years to bounce back immediately was West Ham.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Didn't Newcastle also get promoted right back, or was that > 4 years ago?

Tell me about bayern Munich? Swag?

Buddy of mine said they should be my team but I'm skeptical

They are basically the Dallas Cowboys. Bavaria is the Texas of Germany - large, wealthy and generally thinks of itself as almost semi-independent of the rest of the country. Bayern Munich is tremendously successful, has an enormous bandwagon of fans and are either loved or hated in the entire German speaking world. It's impossible to not have an opinion of them one way or the other. They play in brand new, super nice stadium and their ownership and board are constantly in some form or drama or another (the latest - tax evasion).

Like I said, the Dallas Cowboys is by far their best comparison.

leftcoast left out Alaba. vad is going to be PISSED.

Best left back in the world!

ALABA_1699272a.jpg

I don't really buy the argument that the NFL has so much more parity than any other league but I suppose that depends on your definition of parity. In most leagues around the world, the team on top can be beaten by the team on the bottom if the top team doesn't show up for that game. However, the top teams usually stay the top teams and the bottom teams stay on the bottom for a few seasons barring influxes of cash, change in management style, the like.

In the case of the EPL, the Big 4 clubs have been pretty stable over the past several years. Arsenal have had Wenger since the mid to late 90s, Sir Alex was at Man U since the mid 80s, Abramovich bought Chelsea about 10 years ago and they've won a glut of trophies since, and Liverpool has been at the top for a while too (though I believe they're a little less "stable" when it comes to ownership and coaches, might be wrong here). The NFL is more or less the same: the Patriots have had the same coach and QB for 10+ years, the Steelers have had a QB and very stable coaching, and the Colts as well have been very consistent with Manning as they're QB for a long time.

The teams in the middle beat each other up, and the teams at the bottom don't usually improve that much year to year. Over time, the giants will fall if their stability takes a hit in some way, and the teams further down the table will most likely hit on something and start working their way up. Case in point, Man City was relegated in 2001 and they're now in the top 3. I think there may be a perception of parity in the NFL due to the coverage here about every game while the EPL largely only gets press in the USA for the Big 4 teams unless you follow the league.

I don't really buy the argument that the NFL has so much more parity than any other league but I suppose that depends on your definition of parity. In most leagues around the world, the team on top can be beaten by the team on the bottom if the top team doesn't show up for that game. However, the top teams usually stay the top teams and the bottom teams stay on the bottom for a few seasons barring influxes of cash, change in management style, the like.

In the case of the EPL, the Big 4 clubs have been pretty stable over the past several years. Arsenal have had Wenger since the mid to late 90s, Sir Alex was at Man U since the mid 80s, Abramovich bought Chelsea about 10 years ago and they've won a glut of trophies since, and Liverpool has been at the top for a while too (though I believe they're a little less "stable" when it comes to ownership and coaches, might be wrong here). The NFL is more or less the same: the Patriots have had the same coach and QB for 10+ years, the Steelers have had a QB and very stable coaching, and the Colts as well have been very consistent with Manning as they're QB for a long time.

The teams in the middle beat each other up, and the teams at the bottom don't usually improve that much year to year. Over time, the giants will fall if their stability takes a hit in some way, and the teams further down the table will most likely hit on something and start working their way up. Case in point, Man City was relegated in 2001 and they're now in the top 3. I think there may be a perception of parity in the NFL due to the coverage here about every game while the EPL largely only gets press in the USA for the Big 4 teams unless you follow the league.

Pretty hard to argue there's much parity on the PL when you can basically predict the top 6 every season based on their wages spent. United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs. That's it. That's the entire list of clubs who can even dream of making it to the Champions League. Every single US sport is far, far, far, far more even than European football.

European football is great, but the Champions League and the gross revenue mismatches it has created has basically turned every league in Europe into "top clubs" and "everyone else" and the "everyone else" group literally has absolutely no chance of ever winning their own home country leagues.

They are basically the Dallas Cowboys. Bavaria is the Texas of Germany - large, wealthy and generally thinks of itself as almost semi-independent of the rest of the country. Bayern Munich is tremendously successful, has an enormous bandwagon of fans and are either loved or hated in the entire German speaking world. It's impossible to not have an opinion of them one way or the other. They play in brand new, super nice stadium and their ownership and board are constantly in some form or drama or another (the latest - tax evasion).

Like I said, the Dallas Cowboys is by far their best comparison.

Holy shit. I never thought of that comparison before but it is spot on.

Yeah, lol at using "parity" and "PL" in the same sentence.

That's why promotion/relegation is so fantastic. Will Sunderland supporters ever sniff Europe? Not unless they somehow win an FA Cup. However, they have another battle that lasts until the very last hour of the season: staying up.

Pretty hard to argue there's much parity on the PL when you can basically predict the top 6 every season based on their wages spent. United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs. That's it. That's the entire list of clubs who can even dream of making it to the Champions League. Every single US sport is far, far, far, far more even than European football.

I'm not saying there is much parity in the EPL, I'm simply saying there isn't much parity in any league. I agree that the top 6-10 teams are pretty much set each year due to the amount of money allowed to come in (though the FFP rules should put a damper on that somewhat) and that the teams in the bottom half of the league aren't going anywhere except to the Championship. I do not think, though, that the NFL or any other league has so much more parity than any other league. The teams with the most money will stay on top in nearly every sport, there will be a clump of mediocre teams below them, and then the bottom feeders.

Yeah, lol at using "parity" and "PL" in the same sentence.

That's why promotion/relegation is so fantastic. Will Sunderland supporters ever sniff Europe? Not unless they somehow win an FA Cup. However, they have another battle that lasts until the very last hour of the season: staying up.

Trust me, the struggle is real...

I'm not saying there is much parity in the EPL, I'm simply saying there isn't much parity in any league. I agree that the top 6-10 teams are pretty much set each year due to the amount of money allowed to come in (though the FFP rules should put a damper on that somewhat) and that the teams in the bottom half of the league aren't going anywhere except to the Championship. I do not think, though, that the NFL or any other league has so much more parity than any other league. The teams with the most money will stay on top in nearly every sport, there will be a clump of mediocre teams below them, and then the bottom feeders.

The FFP does more to maintain the status quo than break it up. Horrible rule, and it is a farce judging by their "punishments" of PSG and Man City this week.

"You spent too much money on players! Pay us money to make up for that."
- Platini's UEFA.
Worthless.

The FFP does more to maintain the status quo than break it up. Horrible rule, and it is a farce judging by their "punishments" of PSG and Man City this week.

"You spent too much money on players! Pay us money to make up for that."
- Platini's UEFA.
Worthless.

Yeah, until the FFP rules cost teams transfer bans, who cares.

Oh good! You know how to do research on the internet. This is most good news.

Now, here's a task.
Look up the percentage of clubs that bounce right back up the next season to the Premiership after getting relegated to the Championship. Without looking it up myself, I'll guess it is under 33%, which would be 1 in 3 of the teams relegated the season before.

Yeah BSF stop being such a fucking dumbass and do dv's homework assignment.

Look past the condescending tone and the general tact of a sledgehammer and be a Man U fan immediately. After all, you've had 48 hours to learn about this shit.

Back