• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about San Francisco

i'd say marina is pretty close to the touristy center. i doubt lbe would have much trouble walking a couple miles or hopping on a bus; so i'd guess pac heights, castro, most of the mission (if you don't mind a little sketchy all of inner mission from 24th or so in is relatively convenient), hayes valley, the haight, inner sunset, soma, and probably more would be fine. some i'd check on exactly where, but we can help with that. looks like there's some dec stuff on airbnb depending on needs. from their neighborhood listing, i'd probs avoid the tenderloin, japantown, civic center.

if you can bring your bikes taht opens up a lot of the city too.

Bernal
Fun enclave up on Bernal Hill just south of the Mission. Phan lives there. Pretty good food, and you're just up the way from the Mission. Depending on where you are, there's a small section of Bernal that sort of bleeds into a rough-around-the-edges part of the Mission, so beware while AirBNB'ing.

Castro
The gay epicenter of SF. Fairly centrally located to a lot of good SF stuff. Very gay. Pretty safe. Parking is difficult but not impossible. Food is mediocre but close enough to good food in the Mission and Hayes Valley. Public transportation is pretty easy here.

Chinatown
Fun for a visit, but I wouldn't want to stay in Chinatown. It's kind of a mess. The food is disappointing.

Civic Center
Probably too risky for AirBNB. Might find a nice condo or something, but more than likely you'll end up in some dirtbag Tenderloin/SoMa/Western Addition flophouse. Do not want. City Hall and the Asian Art Museum are beautiful, though.

Cole Valley
Quiet little neighborhood tucked away by the Upper Haight (that's Haight-Ashbury to tourists). This is a fine Air BNB option. Parking difficult. Public transportation is average. Some OK food options near here or on Haight.

Cow Hollow/Marina
OK, the cons: Very preppy/douchey, food is mostly mediocre. The pros: Parking not horrendous. Basically no hills. Very safe. Walking distance to the water, views of the Golden Gate Bridge, could walk to Ghirardelli Square or Fisherman's Wharf if you really want to go fannypack tourist mode. Public transportation only by bus. This wouldn't be the worst place to find an AirBNB.

Financial District/Union Square
Meh, don't stay here, unless you really like malls and want to be near Union Square. Mostly dead at night. A few nice expensive restaurants.

Fisherman's Wharf
As touristy as you can get in SF. Chain restaurants galore.

Haight-Ashbury (Upper Haight)
If you're really into that whole Summer of Love vision of SF, go here. Just be prepared to be accosted by strung-out, grumpy, homeless teenagers.

Hayes Valley
Parking is very difficult here. Big hot spot on the SF restaurant scene. Kind of wedged in between some not-so-nice neighborhoods, so it's definitely got some rougher edges. But it's one of SF's great new booming neighborhoods. Good location close to the Mission and the Castro. Decent public transportation.

Sunset (Inner or Outer)
Pretty far out of the way. That's a major, major con. Pros are great Asian food, proximity to Golden Gate Park (SF's answer to NYC's Central Park), relatively easy parking. If you go way out to the Outer Sunset, you'll be close to the Pacific Ocean. But public transportation here, especially in the Outer Sunset, is horrendous. Must drive while staying here, or prepare for hourslong bus rides.

Lower Haight
Some decent places to eat and drink near here, but fairly quiet. Some parts of the neighborhood are not so nice.

Mission
Best food in SF. Hipster central. Some parts are really very nice and some parts are pretty sketchy. Parking is OK. Public transportation is OK but can be sketchy. Find a place west of Valencia and let's talk.

Nob Hill
Old money neighborhood in SF. Way up in the hills. Pretty decent location to tourist stuff in SF. Parking is horrendous. Public transportation not so great; only bus. If you want to do the whole "I'm up in the hills in SF" thing, it's an OK option. Beware of staying too far south in Nob Hill. Then you get into the Tenderloin, and unless you're looking for hard drugs, transexual prostitutes or decent Vietnamese food, you don't want to be in the Tenderloin.

Noe Valley
Quiet semi-suburban neighborhood west of the Mission and south of the Castro. Public transportation is decent. Parking is decent. Not the most convenient option, but location near the Mission is a plus. Very safe here.

North Beach
SF's Little Italy. Convenient walking to tourist stuff in SF. Food is meh, although there are a handful of gems. Parking very difficult. Public transportation is meh; bus only.

Pacific Heights
Home to the wealthiest of the wealthy in SF. Fillmore Street is kind of nice; lots of boutiques. Similar neighborhood to the Marina/Cow Hollow minus the fratsters. Perfectly fine place for an AirBNB. Safe. Parking is meh. Public transport is bus-only. Not so convenient to tourist stuff. Would probably only be worth a look if you plan to drie while in town.

Potrero Hill
Nice, quiet neighborhood that's close to nothing. Car is your only real option. Better for residency than tourism.

Richmond (Inner or Outer)
Pretty much echoes the comments about the Sunset (the Richmond is north of Golden Gate Park; the Sunset is south). Only difference here is that there are more food options in the Richmond, but the public transport isn't nearly as good.

Russian Hill
Sandwiched between Marina/Cow Hollow and Nob Hill. Kind of hilly. A nice stretch of shops on Polk Street. Fairly close to some tourist stuff. Not a bad option for AirBNB, but it's case-by-case.

SoMa
Sprawling neighborhood south of the FiDi, east of the Mission and west of the Bay. Stands for "South of Market" Street. There are some pockets here that are really nice, and the neighborhood is being developed like crazy, but there are just as many pockets of sketch here, so I'd avoid. Some good food, though.

Telegraph Hill
Near North Beach. Has some famous parrots and Coit Tower. Very close to tourist stuff. Very hilly. Parking is terrible. Public transportation is not so great. Put this in the Russian Hill-Nob Hill-North Beach group of similar old neighborhoods up in the hills.

Twin Peaks
Best views of the city, but you're way, way up on SF's tallest hill. Not convenient. Public transportation is comically impractical. Close to Noe Valley/Castro, I guess.

Western Addition (NOPA)
Gentrifying area that many are pegging as the next big thing. Some decent food here. Close to the Full House house (The Painted Ladies). Be careful, though, as there are a fair amount of housing projects close by, too. It's block by block. Definitely check with us before pulling the trigger here.

I don't think SF is any more expensive to visit than cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC, etc. High end hotel prices in places like that really bite.

is Nob Hill where the Full House house is?

because i'm super dorky and would 100% want to see that.

The Full House house is one of the famous "Painted Ladies" and is at Alamo Square in the Western Addition. It's nowhere near Nob Hill.

oh. well alright then.

It is close to a pretty good deep-dish pizza joint, though. And the new Bi-Rite.

Before there was Full House, there was Too Close For Comfort.

250px-Toocloseforcomfortintro.jpg

tooclose03.jpg

For a reasonably priced but authentic and somewhat upscale Mexican restaurant near downtown and Union Square:

Colibri Mexican Bistro

For excellent breakfasts near Union Square:

Lori's Diner

My favorite thing in San Franciso is riding the cable cars. I will find any excuse to ride one. Also the Cable Car Museum and Powerhouse is fascinating.

I also love to take the ferry to Sausalito.

Cable%20Car-L.jpg

Cable%20Car%20Wheelhouse-L.jpg

Loris%20Diner%2002-L.jpg

Loris%20Diner%2003-L.jpg

Sausalito%20ferry-L.jpg

Going to San Fran the 1st weekend in Sept on business. Can anybody recommend a good place in Little Italy? Looking for a place where we can eat outside. Planning to wander around Little Italy for a few hours and hust looking for a casual place with good food. Also, someone recommened Pesce to me....i saw that they are moving locations. Anybody know if they are currently open?

Pesce is good. I hadn't heard they were moving. I wouldn't move mountains to go, though.

If you have your heart set on outdoor dining in North Beach, I'd do Park Tavern or Tony's Pizza Napoletana. Both are at Washington Square and have seating outside. If you go with Tony's, don't skip the meatball gigante. Park Tavern isn't explicitly Italian and is slightly less casual. Get the deviled eggs. The people behind Tony's just opened a great deep-dish place a few blocks away, Capo's, but with no seating outside.

There's no shortage of middling Italian in North Beach, but there are easily a dozen Italian joints in the city I'd pick over anything you could find in that neighborhood.

Going for 10 days in september for work. Meeting a few friends out there I have seen in years. Looking forward to it, havent been to SF in 15 years.

Good stuff on this thread.

Supposed to try this restaurant the Slanted Door.

Slanted Door is pretty good. Kind of pricey, but a great location and good food. If you're into brown liquor, the guy behind the Slanted Door recently opened a soul food / whiskey place a couple of piers down on the Embarcadero called Hard Water. Great selection of booze, and the food is very good. Also not cheap, but it's a good spot.

bdz is killing it on restaurant recommendations.

If you're choosing between summer and fall, go with fall all day. Mid-September to mid-October is SF's summer weather. Just watch out for fleet week. That'll narrow your lodging options.

I need to be out there for work September 27, thinking about staying though the weekend. Am I good?

Yeah, I mean, SF weather is never that predictable, but statistically that's the best time for weather for sure.

Slanted door is the bomb. If you like fish and white wine, it might be one of the best places in the country.

Stay at the Clift.

Fair warning: San Francisco is the place where female pubic hair is making its last stand.

Yeah, I mean, SF weather is never that predictable, but statistically that's the best time for weather for sure.

I meant fleet week, but I used the google to fine out. Also, the Gigantes are in town, so I am going to AT&T with a buddy who is flying up from LA.

Back