• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about San Francisco

Oh, yeah. Fleet Week is in October. And there are no Blue Angels this year. Thanks, Obama.

Slanted Door is pretty good. Kind of pricey, but a great location and good food. If you're into brown liquor, the guy behind the Slanted Door recently opened a soul food / whiskey place a couple of piers down on the Embarcadero called Hard Water. Great selection of booze, and the food is very good. Also not cheap, but it's a good spot.

I was wondering if this place would make the thread. Ate (and drank) at Hard Water earlier this summer. Great bourbon selection in particular. Odd to eat southern food in SF, but it is quite good. Crowded Thurs-Sat I hear. Also down the road is an Asian fusion place that is very good if not already mentioned. Don't recall the name.

Yeah, most of the Southern-inspired stuff in SF is kinda weak, but I thought Hard Water was pretty good. Great seafood. The milk-braised crispy celery hearts were awesome.

agreed. went to front porch which everyone raves about and was not taht impressed. the fried chicken was really good, but everything else i've had better. oh well. it's generally pretty unhealthy fare.

i had a really good brunch at park tavern. was very strong and hungover and walked in and totally spaced at the hostess stand. was like "ummmm... ummm.... im deacphan?" and the hostesses both laughed and one said "are you sure." was hilarious. the food and drinks were awesome though. had a duck confit hash and eggs or something. NOM NOM NOM. the bloody mary is awesome.

agreed. went to front porch which everyone raves about and was not taht impressed. the fried chicken was really good, but everything else i've had better. oh well. it's generally pretty unhealthy fare.

Yeah, the chicken is like their only saving grace. Although I guess it is a chicken place. Bonus points for proximity to Mitchell's, though. Young Coconut Ice Cream ftw.

and proximity to my house. also outdoor area in noe/that side of bernal is a win on most days.

This is the list of restaurants the hotel gave me. I have a business meeting at Slanted Door. Any others I def need to check out?

Boulevard
Chaya
Epic Roasthouse
Kokkari
One Market
Ozumo
Palomino
Perbacco
Tadich Grill
Waterbar

I'm in to Asian right now. Ozumo looks intriguing.

Is this expense-account dining? I'd do Kokkari and Perbacco if you had to prioritize. The other options are just OK.

If you're into Asian and money isn't important, do Benu hands down. Then Hakkasan. Also Yank Sing for dim sum.

Yep Yank Sing for excellent dim sum. If you are there by yourself, you can order half portions of most of their dishes. The full sized order is typically for 2-3 people.

You can walk from Yank Sing at the Rincon Building to the Ferry Building for the Farmer's Market or the ferry to Sausalito. It's only a few blocks away.

Just stick to the dim sum at Yank Sing.

Bout to make a SDK run. Pumped.

mission chinese last night. NOM NOM NOM. pretty much go like every other week now.

Big fan of their soups. Lamb face, porridge, etc. The fact that they deliver anywhere in the City is, how they say, MONTE.

i keep talking about getting takeout from there because it's on the way home from work for my fiance, but we always forget. the chicken wings and beef and broccoli are just so effing good.

This is the list of restaurants the hotel gave me. I have a business meeting at Slanted Door. Any others I def need to check out?

Boulevard-awesome high end restaurant. Great food, location, atmosphere. Very expensive
Epic Roasthouse-good location, but I prefer House of Prime Rib or Alfred's for beef
Kokkari-best Greek in the Bay Area
One Market-pretty good for brunch
Palomino-just OK
Tadich Grill-very cool old school fish place in Financial District
Waterbar-right next to Epic Roasthouse on the water. Good seafood

Other places already mentioned:

Yank Sing-really good food, but a little too high tech. I prefer old school Dim Sum places with seriously dented carts
Zeitgeist-punked out bike messenger beer bar in the Mission. Best bloodies in the City. Really good beers on tap and great punk jukebox.

Not mentioned yet:

Swan's Oyster Depot-awesome seafood place on Polk Street. Basically a fish market with a 20 seat counter. Long lines, but great food and really fun service. Cash only.
Toronado-beer bar in the Upper Haight. More comfortable than Zeitgeist for people without visible 'tats and piercings.
Lucky 13-beer bar in the Castro
Versuvio-cool bar across the alley from City Lights Books on Columbus in North Beach
Savoy Tivoli-beatnik era bar on Upper Grant in North Beach. Cash only
Li Po-Kitschy cave entrance bar on Grant in Chinatown. Buddha Bar across the street is a serious dive with a great jukebox

I'd pass on Sausalito and take the ferry to Tiburon instead. Sam's has great drinks and views on a deck on the Bay

Other places already mentioned:

Yank Sing-really good food, but a little too high tech. I prefer old school Dim Sum places with seriously dented carts

Won't disagree here. Also too expensive. But it's the best dim sum you'll find east of Masonic and the service is awesome (a true rarity for dim sum). It's perfect for out-of-towners.

Swan's Oyster Depot-awesome seafood place on Polk Street. Basically a fish market with a 20 seat counter. Long lines, but great food and really fun service. Cash only.

Yes. Also quite expensive, and closes way early. The stuff they source is better than you can get anywhere in the city. Underrated smoked salmon and trout.

All the dives FMR recommended are fine places to have a beer.

Last edited:
If you like dim sum, Yank Sing downtown is excellent, but it's also REALLY expensive. If you're a foodie, love dim sum, and don't mind slumming it a bit, it's worth the trip to Shanghai Dumpling King in the Outer Richmond. That's close to Sutro Baths, Cliff House, Ocean Beach and close enough to GG Park, the Presidio, the GG Bridge, etc.

Was in the City yesterday and had lunch at Shanghai Dumpling King. Awesome spot, easier parking than Ton Kiang, great food, cheap, and good service. Probably doesn't work for tourists since it's not a really convenient location, but it's extremely good. I like Yang Sing because it's very good, great location, cool historical building, but the headsets, cost, and pristine carts are a negative. Can't go wrong with YS, SDK, and TK. Wish there was a Dim Sum place in Chinatown that had that level of food quality, but had banged up carts, and a divey location.

For grubby Chinatown dim sum, your best bet is probably Lai Hong Lounge. It's run by the Hong Kong Lounge folks. No carts, though.

A lot of the small stores and pastry shops in Chinatown sell individual Bao for like $1-2. 've never had a bad one from these mom and pop shops.

Back