• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about San Francisco

Plenty of good music that way if that interests you. Go check out Phil Lesh's place in San Rafael.

Oof. Sashimi coma. Kome in Daly City if you want mass-produced buffet sushi.

Ate at Pesce last night. Great place. Had previously been in Russian Hill but moved to a new location in the Castro on Market St about 2-3 wks ago. Great great meal.

Good to know. Sad to see it leave Polk Street just since it was so convenient to me.

BDZ....have u eaten at the other place that the owners of Pesce have? Berretta's is the name. Thought about trying it tonight since i enjoyed Pesce so much last night. It is my last night in town.

I will tell you this: the 49ers are good

I just found out that Fleet Week will be the week that I am there (Oct 9-13). How will that impact my stay there or will it?

Shouldn't impact too much. If you end up in the Marina, as you've suggested, that's ground zero for Fleet Week activities. The plus side is you'll have the opportunity to watch some sick air shows for free, capped by the Blue Angels. If your VRBO has roof access, that's even more money. Pretty much all the rooftops in the Marina, Cow Hollow, Pac Heights, Russian Hill will be filled with people partying. It's fun. The cons are that it'll be a little crowded on Marina Green that weekend and in many of the restaurants along Chestnut and Union. All the touristy stuff along the Embarcadero (Ghirardelli Square, Pier 39, etc.) will also be pretty crowded. Might impact your ability to find a ride in those areas, too, although there will be plenty of extra drivers scoping fares.

Other than that, you won't notice too much of a change anywhere else in town.

Last year's Fleet Week was neutered during the federal governmnet shutdown fiasco, so people will probably be pumped this year.

My wife and I are still duking it out over the Marina (safety, non hilly, harbor) vs Castro (still safe, close to Mission & Delores Park, gay capital of world). How many blocks does Castro take up and is literally every bar/restaurant full of gays?

The Castro is pretty big. I'm sure Google has plenty of maps. It's not like it's a hetero-free zone, but it's probably the highest concentration of gay people you'll ever be around in your life. If you're uncomfortable around gay people and gay stuff, you'll probably be uncomfortable. If not, it's a fun, eclectic neighborhood.

I am leaving SF as soon as I get there to go to the wine country then coming back to SF after a few days up there.Which airport is easier to get in and out of, SFO or OAK? Prices from GSP are about the same whether its US Air, Delta, or Southwest.

I am leaving SF as soon as I get there to go to the wine country then coming back to SF after a few days up there.Which airport is easier to get in and out of, SFO or OAK? Prices from GSP are about the same whether its US Air, Delta, or Southwest.

Coming into to Oakland puts you a little closer to Napa on the arrival, but you'll have to get across the bay when you leave.

Flying into OAK and out of SFO would be the the most convenient, unless you're going to Sonoma over Napa, in which case it's a wash. The Oakland airport is pretty small. You'll definitely have more flexibility at SFO. If you do end up having to cross the Bay Bridge before your flight, game plan for a little traffic, especially on the weekend. Some days it's fine and you'll be across in 10 minutes and other days it's a parking lot.

If the West Village in NYC or Dupont Circle in DC make you uncomfortable, the Castro's not going to work for you as it has a more noticeable gay presence than the other two neighborhoods. Pluses are that it's closer to everything and has better mass transit options than the Marina. Marina Green and Chestnut and Union Street have a lot going on, but may be too crowded during Fleet Week. If there's any earthquake phobia, avoid the Marina. It's primarily landfill which is why there were so many problems there in 1989.

i don't really see how the castro is more centrally located, but it does probs have better public transit options.

if there's any concern about "OMG TEH GAYZ" then just stay in the marina. it's really gay.

I am not too worried about mass transit as I'll have a car in Sonoma and when we get back to the City I will turn it in and I plan to use Uber for the most part. Whichever airline I choose, most of them have the departure time for 2:55 PST on Monday back to the east coast and I'll just use BART to the airport.

I have been in the West Village many times and that's never bothered me. Have a feeling the Castro is 2-3 times the size of that in terms of the presence. It's not a big deal, but there have to be some straight folks down there in the bars/restaurants don't there?

I am not too worried about mass transit as I'll have a car in Sonoma and when we get back to the City I will turn it in and I plan to use Uber for the most part. Whichever airline I choose, most of them have the departure time for 2:55 PST on Monday back to the east coast and I'll just use BART to the airport.

I have been in the West Village many times and that's never bothered me. Have a feeling the Castro is 2-3 times the size of that in terms of the presence. It's not a big deal, but there have to be some straight folks down there in the bars/restaurants don't there?

why does your wife want to go to the gay capital of america? #themoreyouknow

why does your wife want to go to the gay capital of america? #themoreyouknow

She doesn't but she would not mind if we had to. Currently in airbnb there are no places left under $200 in Cow Hollow or the Marina. That's why I am looking down in the Mission/Castro for a decent place, not just a room. So far the decent ones west of Valencia are booked and according to BDZ I don't want to go east. You'd think the damned town was getting ready for a big Giants playoff run the way its filling up, but the G-men don't have it this year. This is LA's year, but let's save that for the sports board.

Back