• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about San Francisco

There's a good Thai place in the Tenderloin that's not far from there: Lers Ros on Larkin.

So wife is going to be in SF next week for work. Her hotel is at the corner of California and Mason, which I guess is near the top of Nob Hill, and is looking for any recs on restaurants and other things to do around that area. She's willing to travel too, but things in walking or short uber distance would be ideal.

How old is your wife? What kind of food does she like to eat? What does she drink? Will she be with other people? SF has like 6,000 restaurants.

That part of town is ritzy but not super walkable because it's up the hill. Most everything in SF is within Uber distance.

The Stinking Rose is garbage. Lers Ros is good Thai; it's down the hill. Assuming she'll want to take a car. If she's more adventurous and likes Thai, Kin Khao is excellent and just down the hill toward Union Square. It's won lots of acclaim from the national press lately.

How old is your wife? What kind of food does she like to eat? What does she drink? Will she be with other people? SF has like 6,000 restaurants.

That part of town is ritzy but not super walkable because it's up the hill. Most everything in SF is within Uber distance.

The Stinking Rose is garbage. Lers Ros is good Thai; it's down the hill. Assuming she'll want to take a car. If she's more adventurous and likes Thai, Kin Khao is excellent and just down the hill toward Union Square. It's won lots of acclaim from the national press lately.

She'll be solo and will eat pretty much anything. High-end/pricey is cool too, as long as it's good. She'd prefer the restaurant to serve the full menu at the bar rather than sitting solo at a table. She almost exclusively drinks wine, though she'll have a cocktail or beer on occasion.

Two possibilities at either end of the California cable car line: Swan's Oyster Depot (California and Polk) and Tadich's (California and Battery). Both seafood and old school SF. Swan's is basically a fish market with a lunch counter. Long lines at lunch but faster for a single. Closes at 5, so late lunch/early dinner would probably be best. Cash only and not cheap, but great food and really fun. Tadich's is the oldest restaurant in SF. Also crowded, but easier for dinner at the bar.

Belden Place is a quick cab/Uber away in the Financial district. An alley with 5 or 6 French/Mediterranean
spots. Can sit outside on a nice night. Cafe Claude is in the same general area-nice French bistro also down an alley.

she could try boulevard. they have high tops that overlook the kitchen of a michelin starred restaurant. right on the embarcadero too, so she could take in some sites before/after.

also uber was running a special for $7 pool rides anywhere in the city. something to keep in mind when you're by yourself and not on a tight timeline.

Not close to where your wife is staying, but a general San Francisco recommendation for future thread readers is Plow for brunch.

So, is there no easy way to get from SF to Levi's Stadium on public transportation? Google Maps is showing a two plus hour trip with multiple train changes. Alternatively, any recommendations for staying in Mountain View/Santa Clara/San Jose on the VTA line? Thanks.

SF is the most fun place to stay, but it's a huge hassle to get to Levi's. Really nothing going on in Santa Clara, but very convenient to the stadium. Downtown San Jose is probably the best all around option for access/nightlife. Palo Alto/Mtn View are compromises-OK nightlife and decent public transportation options to/from SF and Santa Clara. Depends on how you prioritize football game day vs spending time in SF.

[TOWNIE]

It used to be better, but they started using chicken broth and meat rather than pork. they did it to get more sustainable meat, i think, but it isn't as good imo. ramen bay is right across the street and is probs better now imo. though they put corn in it which is weird to me.

[/TOWNIE]

also, where are you looking? there are other places throughout the city that are great depending on where you are.

also, where are you looking? there are other places throughout the city that are great depending on where you are.

Flight lands at 11:30 am and none of my friends get in until 6 pm. The wedding is in Woodside so we are staying in Palo Alto but I figured I could spend the afternoon in San Fran. Long way of saying I will go where the good ramen is and then see what's going on around there.

If you want to meet your friends in Palo Alto at 6:00, plan on leaving downtown SF at 3:30. :)

Back