• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about San Francisco

She doesn't but she would not mind if we had to. Currently in airbnb there are no places left under $200 in Cow Hollow or the Marina. That's why I am looking down in the Mission/Castro for a decent place, not just a room. So far the decent ones west of Valencia are booked and according to BDZ I don't want to go east. You'd think the damned town was getting ready for a big Giants playoff run the way its filling up, but the G-men don't have it this year. This is LA's year, but let's save that for the sports board.

We've had good luck with airbnb in Noe Valley. Close to the mission, easy to get around from that area. Maybe not as much going on as other places, but still a nice area for a home base.

Galleria Park is another with decent reviews and not completely insane prices.

OK, quick hits.

Whatever you do, don't stay at Hotel Abri. That's the Tenderloin. Bad news there.

Hotel Carlton could be hit or miss. It's far enough north that you're not really in the Tenderloin ("lower Nob Hill" is code for "we're just outside the Tenderloin"), and there's some fun bars to walk to along Polk Street. It's not the most tourist-friendly spot, but it might fly.

You know my thoughts on Chelsea Inn. Not sure what the pricing is like, but we heard some good things about Hotel Del Sol in that neighborhood, and it looks fun.

Galleria Park is in the Financial District. Pretty central to public transportation, which is a plus. Definitely safer than Abri or Carlton.

OK, quick hits.

Whatever you do, don't stay at Hotel Abri. That's the Tenderloin. Bad news there.

Hotel Carlton could be hit or miss. It's far enough north that you're not really in the Tenderloin ("lower Nob Hill" is code for "we're just outside the Tenderloin"), and there's some fun bars to walk to along Polk Street. It's not the most tourist-friendly spot, but it might fly.

You know my thoughts on Chelsea Inn. Not sure what the pricing is like, but we heard some good things about Hotel Del Sol in that neighborhood, and it looks fun.

Galleria Park is in the Financial District. Pretty central to public transportation, which is a plus. Definitely safer than Abri or Carlton.

Thanks man. I responded to your pm too.

There are definitely some fun spots in Lower Nob Hill/Tenderknob or even the Tenderloin itself, but I wouldn't stay in any of those neighborhoods. Hayes Valley is close by and while parts can be spotty at night, that neighborhood is nicer and safer.

Galleria Park is fine-somewhat boring, but very safe and centrally located. Easy walks to Chinatown, Union Square, BART, and Belden Place.

i wouldn't look at bernal. it's great for living, imo, but it's harder for transit as it's a little far out. also everything closes early which is lame. from what i can tell, that place looks great.

Yo Bay Area peeps, Wifey is going to Oakland for work in a couple of months but would prefer to stay in SF and take the BART to Oakland. Any hotel or other recs in Union Square or other areas that are near the BART and not too long of a ride to Oakland? She's never been to SF so she's interested in seeing some shit.

near embarcadero bart would be easiest (last stop before oakland) and close to the water which is nice. my internet sucks right now and i havent stayed at a hotel in SF since i was like 18, so i'm not much help on actual hotels.

how long is she going to be here and when will her free time be? the weather should be pretty awesome in april...

Hi! We are planning a trip to San Fran in May of this year and we have never been there before. We plan to take in a Giants/Dodgers game one night. Could anyone recommend some safe areas/hotels and maybe ones not to consider ? It will be my husband, me and our son
travelling from NC.

Thanks

Hi! We are planning a trip to San Fran in May of this year and we have never been there before. We plan to take in a Giants/Dodgers game one night. Could anyone recommend some safe areas/hotels and maybe ones not to consider ? It will be my husband, me and our son
travelling from NC.

Thanks

Any major chain hotel in SF is going to be in a tourist-friendly area. Judging by your post, you should probably look in Fisherman's Wharf. Not close to the ballpark, but it's easy to take a cab, Uber, public transportation, etc.

So wife is going to be in SF next week for work. Her hotel is at the corner of California and Mason, which I guess is near the top of Nob Hill, and is looking for any recs on restaurants and other things to do around that area. She's willing to travel too, but things in walking or short uber distance would be ideal.

Back