• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about San Francisco

got a buddy in Burlingame I've visited it's cool. He rented a sweet stand alone "apt" in the backyard of some millionaires house. It was half shed half apt. He paid $500 per month cause the owner liked him my buddy used to date the owners daughter but they broke up and he still let him live there. Good times

That's like my dream. Who is this American Hero and can he teach me his ways? I feel like I have part of that, but I'm clearly lacking in some area.

Fixing to visit San Francisco next week. Staying at the Park Central San Francisco near 3rd and Market. Any suggestions for restaurants? There appear to be about ten zillion good restaurants in SF, and I don't have a good sense of how far stuff is. We like everything and I'm ready to make some reservations. Any help appreciated.

Fixing to visit San Francisco next week. Staying at the Park Central San Francisco near 3rd and Market. Any suggestions for restaurants? There appear to be about ten zillion good restaurants in SF, and I don't have a good sense of how far stuff is. We like everything and I'm ready to make some reservations. Any help appreciated.

Zuni Cafe is a San Francisco classic that still has its fastball. Famous for its Roast Chicken, but whole menu is really good. (Get the roast chicken though).

Posted this a couple of months ago for you, but I'll repost: I think you only might need reservations for Tuba and Lers Ros. Others probably have better recs, these were just a few places I dug when I was there a couple of years ago.

I've been to La Taq, which was really good. ETA -- this is La Taqueria in the Mission.

A couple other places I went last time I was there that aren't on the list are Tuba (Turkish) in the Mission:

http://tubarestaurant.com/

There was also a cool bar catty corner to this where I consumed a cocktail.

Lers Ros (Thai) in the Tenderloin, though they have a couple of other locations, too.

http://lersros.com/

Arizmendi Bakery in the Sunset is really good, too, if you decide to do something in the park one day, or go to the De Young or something, stop there for a scone or pizza.

http://www.arizmendibakery.com/

When I went the first time I fell in love with Rosamunde in the lower Haight, right next to Toronado, which has a crazy extensive beer list. Deacondeuse69 would score so many app points at that place with new beers to try.

http://rosamundesausagegrill.com/haight-street/

http://www.toronado.com/

A family friend runs a place that I've never been, but if you want some NC connection while you're out there. Remind him of the time he almost had his finger cut off after getting it slammed in a car door outside Bennigan's:

http://citizensbandsf.com/

Last edited:
Appreciate the tips. Stuff is already real booked up, so options were more limited than I preferred, but got reservations for Fenix, Leo's Oyster Bar, Farmerbrown, and Marlowe. Want to leave lunch open. Hoping to visit La Taqueria in the Mission one day.

I recommend Artichoke Joe's in San Bruno. A must see gambling establishment.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

thanks man. will definitely hit you up for good places to eat in the city once we get settled.

recommend.jpg

Bump. Heading to Sonoma for the weekend but extended the stay for a day in SF before we leave. Can anyone recommend any must do's for a quick trip? We'll be there Monday morning - Tuesday night basically.

Bump. Heading to Sonoma for the weekend but extended the stay for a day in SF before we leave. Can anyone recommend any must do's for a quick trip? We'll be there Monday morning - Tuesday night basically.

do you mean wineries or something else? Go to Frick and change your life, if the former.

Just SF. We've got a pretty full schedule in Sonoma already but added the extra day for just my wife and I to be tourists in town.

Headed to Napa in a few weeks. Any suggestions anyone?

BTH, what happening in Sonoma that I might want to do?

Been here for about 3 months now and been making a list of best things we've eaten.

Steak tartar: Spruce. Expensive restaurant with a reservation needed for a table weeks in advance but insider tip is eat at the bar and order the steak tartar and burger to split. You'll get out there for a decent price and the tartar is some of the best I've ever had. Served with these very soft, buttery, biscuits.

Tapas style filet: Chambers. Very cool bar setting underground in the Tenderloin. Records line the walls. The filet steak is served with a very hot rock that you cook each slice of the steak on yourself. Minute and half each side is medium rare.

Burrito: La Taqueria. Already been stated a bunch but order your burrito Dorado style. Gives it a very good crisp.

Chicken and Waffles: Hot Sauce and Panko to Go. Small korean shack in Nob Hill/Russian Hill area. Their wings are absolutely delicious. I recommend Chris's with the waffle combo. Also only place in town I've found Texas Pete.

Sandwiches: Boy's Deli (Polk St, Russian Hill). More for locals but my go-to sandwich shop. Dutch bread and very meaty. Hidden in the back of a market.

Ice Cream: Swensen's. Ghiradelli is good but for just delicious, more pure ice cream, Swensen's is the play.

Sangria: Lolo's. I'm not a huge Sangria fan but the GF loves this place and claims it's the best.

Also check out la mar. It has amazing ceviche. I ate there three times during my last trip. That's how good it is.

Tapas: Zarzuela - best in the City; also right across the street from Swensens for dessert.
Fresh Seafood: Swan Oyster Depot - legendary spot, no resos, go stand in line on Polk and get there early (11am or so) for lunch.
Pizza: Tony's - a North Beach institution that has won pizza awards worldwide.
Coffee: a million great choices but keep it real and get an espresso at Caffe Trieste in North Beach. Also make sure to get a Philz Mint Iced (sweet + creamy) and a Blue Bottle while in town.
Alt Tacolicious: Don Pisto's, also in North Beach. Hidden away but fantastic mid to high-end Mexican.
Echo Hot Sauce and Pankos.
High-end: Gary Danko: best restaurant in the city. Resos are tough to come by but you can walk in and get same menu at the bar. Phenomenal food and experience. Bring $200-250 per person, minimum.

Been here for about 3 months now and been making a list of best things we've eaten.

Steak tartar: Spruce. Expensive restaurant with a reservation needed for a table weeks in advance but insider tip is eat at the bar and order the steak tartar and burger to split. You'll get out there for a decent price and the tartar is some of the best I've ever had. Served with these very soft, buttery, biscuits.

Tapas style filet: Chambers. Very cool bar setting underground in the Tenderloin. Records line the walls. The filet steak is served with a very hot rock that you cook each slice of the steak on yourself. Minute and half each side is medium rare.

Burrito: La Taqueria. Already been stated a bunch but order your burrito Dorado style. Gives it a very good crisp.

Chicken and Waffles: Hot Sauce and Panko to Go. Small korean shack in Nob Hill/Russian Hill area. Their wings are absolutely delicious. I recommend Chris's with the waffle combo. Also only place in town I've found Texas Pete.

Sandwiches: Boy's Deli (Polk St, Russian Hill). More for locals but my go-to sandwich shop. Dutch bread and very meaty. Hidden in the back of a market.

Ice Cream: Swensen's. Ghiradelli is good but for just delicious, more pure ice cream, Swensen's is the play.

Sangria: Lolo's. I'm not a huge Sangria fan but the GF loves this place and claims it's the best.

Last edited:
Back