• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ten worst college football games ever

I think I just stared at the screen completely dumbfounded when that BC game ended. I still don't understand what they were thinking.

Were those two "ugly" wins, Clawson's first two ACC wins as the WF head coach?

BTW, last year's 7-3 opening night win over Tulane should've been a candidate for that list. WF had a total of 175 yards of offense against team that was coming off a 3-9 season, and had surrendered 30+ points to 10 of its 12 opponents the year before. Please tell me Elrod was best friends with someone on the Tulane staff.

We've got a pretty good record I imagine if we can keep our opponents to 3 points or less

We've got a pretty good record I imagine if we can keep our opponents to 3 points or less

beamer.jpg

I'm glad the 2012 Natty Champ game is on the list. I remember people trying to claim with a straight face that that turd of a game was a great defensive display.

The Miami vs Wake game down in Miami in which Grobe refused to pass the ball even with a healthy and veteran Riley Skinner behind center to prove some point to his team (or his growing detractors) would be in my top 10. I think it was pouring rain, but still - a huge stinker of a game.

I'll go with the Sept 18th, 2004 game in Stark-vegas. MSU-7 and Maine-9. The worst game I attended, would be a tie between '81 Wake vs Clemson (82-24) and '05 Nebraska vs Wake. In that game we scored 3, Nebraska offense scored 10, and the Black shirt defense scored 21.

Last edited:
As to the worst three game stretch there is the Oklahoma(2), Penn St (15) and Maryland(18) series in 1974 in which Wake lost 63-0, 55-0, and 47-0 all on the road. As the naming of the then New Dorm was being held for the next million dollar donor, it was named Oklahoma Dorm, Penn St Dorm and Maryland Dorm for a week after each of those drubbings. It should be noted we lost at home to UNC 31-0 and to Virginia 14-0 (in what was considered a moral victory) as bookends. We lost by a combined 210-0 over that five game stretch.

I think we scored 5 rushing and 3 passing TDS that whole year (lost to Bill and Mary and our sole win was the last game of the year in the Baptist Bowl vs. Furman when a seemingly last second catch in the end zone was somehow called incomplete as the ref sprinted to the lockerroom)

Last edited:
As to the worst three game stretch there is the Oklahoma(2), Penn St (15) and Maryland(18) series in 1974 in which Wake lost 63-0, 55-0, and 47-0 all on the road. As the naming of the then New Dorm was being held for the next million dollar donor, it was named Oklahoma Dorm, Penn St Dorm and Maryland Dorm for a week after each of those drubbings. It should be noted we lost at home to UNC 31-0 and to Virginia 14-0 (in what was considered a moral victory) as bookends. We lost by a combined 210-0 over that five game stretch.

I think we scored 5 rushing and 3 passing TDS that whole year (lost to Bill and Mary and our sole win was the last game of the year in the Baptist Bowl vs. Furman when a seemingly last second catch in the end zone was somehow called incomplete as the ref sprinted to the lockerroom)

I was at every home game that dismal season. As I recall the last play of the Furman game, the pass was ruled complete but the receiver came back out of the end zone to catch it with the ball ending up inside the one yard line.

Was that OU game the one after which Switzer said the only mistake the Sooners made was taking Wake seriously?

I was at every home game that dismal season. As I recall the last play of the Furman game, the pass was ruled complete but the receiver came back out of the end zone to catch it with the ball ending up inside the one yard line.

I was at every home game that year as well (actually never missed one during my 4 years)... my memory is the play before, 4th down on their 40, 12 secs left, we attempted to have our punter, who also was an offensive lineman, try to run out the clock. He ran backwards and was tackled on the Wake 40 with 3 secs left. The key was now the Furman QB could pass all the way into the endzone, rather than to the 15 yd line where someone would have to catch and run it in.

The pass was thrown into the endzone, their receiver jumped up and caught it in the endzone. Ref ruled the pass incomplete and ran off. I was seated around the 30 yd line on the press box side(students were not relegate to a few endzone sections like they are now). I thought maybe the receiver was out of the back of the endzone, but looked to me to be in the middle. I thought maybe he lost control as he came down. There was no replays or big screen then. I remember watching WXII 12 (I think that is right) that evening to see if they had a video of the play on the sports news. As I recall, there was nothing in the taped highlight to suggest it wasn't a catch.

Haha I talked about this thread with my dad this weekend and he immediately brought up that season and those three games.

The least watchable Wake game the last 10 years was @ Miami in 2008 when we insisted on running fullback dives for 1 yard repeatedly. And had arguably the greatest QB in WF history and only threw eight passes.

I don't know if Lobo was trying to get fired that day, but I still have no clue what the hell that was all about

I was there and when Furman scored on the hail-mary, our side of the stands thought it was a TD. The referee was faster than any of our d-backs.

The least watchable Wake game the last 10 years was @ Miami in 2008 when we insisted on running fullback dives for 1 yard repeatedly. And had arguably the greatest QB in WF history and only threw eight passes.

I don't know if Lobo was trying to get fired that day, but I still have no clue what the hell that was all about

see my post above

Yep. When I first saw the title to this thread I assumed those were our "two worst games"

see my post above

Hah! I suppose I should bother reading the thread.

IIRC I don't think it was raining super hard even -- it was in the Navy game we lost similarly excruciatingly in 2009 tho

That was Grobe's call.

ChrisL defends Lobo! Goin' back in the ol' time machine.

But whenever peeps questioned Lobo's decisions to Grobe he always said it was his call. Unless Lobo was completely a token OC -- possible, given nepotism -- I never quite bought that

Back