• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

Keys is such a headcase. Super talented though.

Djokovic absolutely destroyed Nadal for AO title.

2 predictions:

1. Djokovic is going to pass both Fed and Nadal in slams over the next 2-3 years.

2. At that point Djokovic will have better totals plus better head to heads, and there won’t be any real argument against him as goat. But nobody in the tennis world wants to take that title from Roger or to give it to Novak. Of course Rafa will always have g-clay courter-oat. So they’ll start call Federer g-grass player-oat, concede greatest on hard courts to Djokovic and try to avoid naming a single GOAT / admitting that it’s Joker.

Djokovic absolutely destroyed Nadal for AO title.

2 predictions:

1. Djokovic is going to pass both Fed and Nadal in slams over the next 2-3 years.

2. At that point Djokovic will have better totals plus better head to heads, and there won’t be any real argument against him as goat. But nobody in the tennis world wants to take that title from Roger or to give it to Novak. Of course Rafa will always have g-clay courter-oat. So they’ll start call Federer g-grass player-oat, concede greatest on hard courts to Djokovic and try to avoid naming a single GOAT / admitting that it’s Joker.

This all sounds accurate. I thought Novak would win, but I had no idea he would dominate Nadal that thoroughly. He was playing at another level.

Novak could fall apart again - just one year ago he wasn’t playing that well at all. But he sure looks good right now.

The question will be in the next couple years are there any up and coming players that will slow down the the Joker. I got to see the final in Wimbledon this year where he destroyed his opponent.

The French Open has been solid so far, with great matches between Stan and Dimitrov and then Stan and Fed today. Fed vs Rafa in the semi is going to be really big, and may help determine GOAT status (especially if Fed were to win).

The French Open has been solid so far, with great matches between Stan and Dimitrov and then Stan and Fed today. Fed vs Rafa in the semi is going to be really big, and may help determine GOAT status (especially if Fed were to win).

If Fed wins, Djokovic gets 16.

Rain delay.

Oh well, I didn’t get to see Federer v Wawrinka, so enjoying this.

three days -- one grandstand/grounds, two Armstrong/grounds

rounds 2 and 3

three days -- one grandstand/grounds, two Armstrong/grounds

rounds 2 and 3

That's perfect, in my opinion. I really enjoy the earlier rounds because there is so much going on at any given time, including the practice courts.

I’ve never bought into the narrative of Nadal as GOAT. His accomplishments at the French are astounding but he’s only won 6 majors outside of that. I know he has a great head to head record against Federer but again the 13-2 edge on clay skews that hugely (Federer is 13-10 against him on grass and hard courts). If anything, I think Djokovic actually has a better chance to potentially claim the GOAT title depending on how the next few years play out. He already has 15 slam titles including 8 outside of the Australian where he has already won 7 times. He is also two matches away from winning all 4 slams consecutively for the second time.

To me though it will always be Federer unless one of those two passes him convincingly. I just don’t think anyone ever has or really ever will play the game as well as he did at his peak. He was as close to unbeatable as it gets during the stretch where he won both Wimbledon and the US Open 5x straight.

I’ve never bought into the narrative of Nadal as GOAT. His accomplishments at the French are astounding but he’s only won 6 majors outside of that. I know he has a great head to head record against Federer but again the 13-2 edge on clay skews that hugely (Federer is 13-10 against him on grass and hard courts). If anything, I think Djokovic actually has a better chance to potentially claim the GOAT title depending on how the next few years play out. He already has 15 slam titles including 8 outside of the Australian where he has already won 7 times. He is also two matches away from winning all 4 slams consecutively for the second time.

To me though it will always be Federer unless one of those two passes him convincingly. I just don’t think anyone ever has or really ever will play the game as well as he did at his peak. He was as close to unbeatable as it gets during the stretch where he won both Wimbledon and the US Open 5x straight.

Had the opportunity to watch Nadal and French Open this week, and many other players including Fed. He was simply dominant. I have never seen someone hit the ball consistentantly in as hard as he hits. He will win this week.

For context, I'm a Nadal fan...

I’ve never bought into the narrative of Nadal as GOAT. His accomplishments at the French are astounding but he’s only won 6 majors outside of that. I know he has a great head to head record against Federer but again the 13-2 edge on clay skews that hugely (Federer is 13-10 against him on grass and hard courts).

The 5th set losses to Fed in AO final 2 years ago and to Djokovic in Wimbledon SF last year really hurt his claim. Imagine Nadal with another hard court slam beating Fed in the process and another grass court slam beating Djokovic in the process - it's a whole different argument.

If anything, I think Djokovic actually has a better chance to potentially claim the GOAT title depending on how the next few years play out. He already has 15 slam titles including 8 outside of the Australian where he has already won 7 times. He is also two matches away from winning all 4 slams consecutively for the second time.

If Djokovic passes the other 2 in slam count, I think we'll see commentators carve out great hard courter and grass courter OAT for Djokovic and Federer and avoid the debate of single GOAT. Nobody wants to have to take that title from Fed and give it to Djokovic.

Peak Djokovic has been every bit as dominant as peak Federer against much tougher competition. Pains me to admit that.

Fed had the advantage of being older and feasting on the weak mid-00s pool

but his consistency at his peak may be the greatest across any sport -- 23 straight semis was nuts

Back