• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

wait, is now unacceptable to aim at the chest of a player at the net?

Seriously. That was just a really hard hit and well-played ball - a good play and no need to apologize.

Epic comeback in the second set. We turned it on casually to wait out the rain and the whole house was sitting on the edge of our seats watching her win. From my hometown too. Delray Beach, woot woot!

That was a really impressive comeback.

Z.im. n gz bn

I disagree. I think Kyrgios is good for tennis.

Noah Rubin runs an instagram site called "Behind the Racket." It's really interesting - it allows players to tell their own stories. It has provided Noah with a platform to discuss many aspects of tennis. He has recently been discussing ways to improve the financial situations of pros ranked in the 100-500 range. This weekend he has argued that tennis would be even more lucrative if Wimbledon played matches on the middle Sunday. I agree with him a full day of matches today (instead of Monday) would have been great.

Well another big Nadal-Federer match looming on Friday. First meeting at Wimbledon since 2008. I was surprised by that. Thought both guys played well today. Federer will need to serve well and play aggressively I think. Stay on the attack and keep the points short. Can’t let it become a slugfest.

Certainly feels to me like Djokovic is the favorite to win the title at this point though. He is absolutely rolling and basically didn’t even break a sweat today in the quarters. Also has a substantially easier matchup in the semis obviously.

Just incredible how dominant these 3 still are at 37 (38 next month), 33, and 32. They've collectively won the last 10 grand slams and are 3/4 of the semifinalists here at Wimbledon

Age of last grand slam:
Borg - 24
Wilander - 24
McEnroe - 25
Edberg - 26
Becker - 28
Lendl - 29
Connors - 31
Sampras - 31
Agassi - 32

Pretty amazing that there really is no player in his 20s (when tennis players generally hit their prime) that can consistently challenge Joker/Fed/Rafa.

Cilic, Wawrinka, Del Potro and Kevin Anderson are all now over 30 and look to be on the downside. Nishikori is solid, but not great.

Theim plays well on clay, but has never gotten past the quarters in any major other than the French. Zverev looked like the next big thing, but has yet to get past the quarters in any major.

Recently, the rest of the field rarely even pushes the top 3 even though Fed is 37, Nadal is 33 and Joker is 32. Will be interesting to see how long before another great emerges, maybe Tsitsipas (who is only 20, but was upset in Wimbledon's 1st round).

Last edited:
Crazy that Nishikori is the third highest paid tennis player behind Fed and Nadal because he’s so popular in Japan. I didn’t verify this fact but that’s what they said on today’s broadcast. He’s a very good player but doesn’t really have any extraordinary weapons. Still making a nice living obviously!

Not sure who else read The Ringer article on Federer and Naomi Osaka (who coincidentally lost literally the next day) but it had some great throwback moments from the pre-Big 3 era. Lleyton Hewitt, Marat Safin, etc. Always used to love Safire because he was so psychotic and unpredictable.

Favorite late 1990s/early 2000s tennis player was Kournikova by far though obv.

think I've asked this before, but who do you predict is the next men's player to win their first Grand Slam?

Theim - French Open, but will need Rafa to get dinged up.

think I've asked this before, but who do you predict is the next men's player to win their first Grand Slam?

Bautista Agut, this weekend? Not really...

Maybe Kevin Anderson at Wimbledon - he's already made two GS finals.

Just incredible how dominant these 3 still are at 37 (38 next month), 33, and 32. They've collectively won the last 10 grand slams and are 3/4 of the semifinalists here at Wimbledon

Age of last grand slam:
Borg - 24
Wilander - 24
McEnroe - 25
Edberg - 26
Becker - 28
Lendl - 29
Connors - 31
Sampras - 31
Agassi - 32

I always thought Borg looked about 10 years older than he really was.

I'll go out on a (short) limb and say Khachanov. Not as obvious as are Thiem at the French or Zverev/Tsitsipas, but he's got a very high ceiling when he's playing well.

Anderson is older than Rafa and my guess is that after this latest injury, he's pretty much done.

Back