• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

US Open starts in earnest today

pretty stoked 'cause I'm going this year -- lemme know any tips if you got 'em

you taking Djok or the filed?

Awesome - should be fantastic. My recs - watch some of your favorite players on the practice courts, and watch some matches on court 17.

So jealous. Went 5 years ago for the first & only time. I just recommend checking out any and all matches of interest to you. So much to see. If you can do a night session on Ashe. If we didn’t go back to school so much earlier this year, I’d be there.

Serena was dialed in and dominant tonight.

Fed wasn’t hitting clean earlier, but now he’s grooving it.

Serena was dialed in and dominant tonight.

Fed wasn’t hitting clean earlier, but now he’s grooving it.

Not many players on the men's side whose first serve is < 100 mph

Good article in today's Wall Street by Jason Gay about Noah Rubin and his "Behind the Racquet" instagram project.

who are you referencing in this post with a sub-100mph serve?

I’m curious about the meaning of this comment as well. I could easily break 100 when I was younger and most top juniors easily can of course. Really hard to imagine there are any professional men with a first serve clocking lower than 100.

I’m curious about the meaning of this comment as well. I could easily break 100 when I was younger and most top juniors easily can of course. Really hard to imagine there are any professional men with a first serve clocking lower than 100.

It may be a reference to Nagal, as he threw some sub 100 mph first serves in there.

not in New York yet

been watching Kukushkin-Bautista Agut at work -- it's break, break, break here in the fifth set

Nadal already fortunate enough to have (1) Djok, (3) Fed, (5) Medvedev all on the other side of the draw. Then on his side of the draw (4) Thiem, (8) Tsitsipas, (9) Khakanov, and (10) Agut all lose in the first round.

Nadal already fortunate enough to have (1) Djok, (3) Fed, (5) Medvedev all on the other side of the draw. Then on his side of the draw (4) Thiem, (8) Tsitsipas, (9) Khakanov, and (10) Agut all lose in the first round.

Only in tennis would the #1 seed and #3 seed be placed on the same half of the draw. So stupid. Defeats the purpose of seeding for the #2 seed to play an inferior opponent in the semis if the seeds hold.

Only in tennis would the #1 seed and #3 seed be placed on the same half of the draw. So stupid. Defeats the purpose of seeding for the #2 seed to play an inferior opponent in the semis if the seeds hold.

Meh, just depends how much advantage you want to give to the teams/players you thought were best before the event started.

On one end, Champions league draw is even more extreme where the 2 "best" teams could meet in the round of 16.

On the other end, you have systems that don't just set matchups by seeding but give the "best" teams even more advantages like byes for entire rounds and re-seeding after certain rounds.

YouTube algorithm sent me this feature on Noah Rubin:

watching Taylor Townsend serve and volley on first and second serves is fun

Back