• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

Answering rafi's question re: US Open in the TENNIS! thread:

Best match I saw was Shapovalov-Monfils -- thought Shapo was gonna smoke him after that first set but new Monfils ground it out; Shapo's gonna be a problem once he gets his backhand more consisten

Most fun match might have been Taylor Townsend on Saturday with killer seats three rows from the court at Armstrong -- her game is so much fun and she is great; was reading her affirmation journal or something between sets. Super chill and her shoestring volleys are best I've seen in the women's game. Wanted her to call out Patrick McEnroe so badly, but she made a big time fan out of me.

Saw Zverev-Bedene from same great seats -- Zverev has the talent to win it and Bedene impressed me in the two matches I saw him play

Also got to see Stanimal, Verdasco-Chung, Medvedev, Schwartzman, Kyrgios, the Bryan brothers, Goerges, and a bunch of other side matches. Such a great event -- defs gotta get back and wanna do Ashe sometime. Watching Coco win her night match R2 on the screen in the center was fun.

Worst match I saw was easily Isner-Cilic -- we bailed on that one quickly

Curious to see what Rublev does -- dude is rolling. Kyrgios just smoked Hoang with his serve so I was pretty surprised to see Rublev take Kyrgios down in straights.

Also, Kytrgios using the Medvedev flick off photo as his Twitter banner is an all-time great flex

Thanks for the update. You saw some great ones! Shapo vs Monfils was fantastic on TV, so I have to imagine it was unreal in person.

What was McEnroe saying?

I assume Juice is referring to several years ago when Patrick was the head of USTA player development. They removed financial support from Taylor Townsend when she was a junior because of her weight. They then tried to pretend it was because they were worried about her health. Not a good look...

Yeah, McEnroe and the USTA did her dirty then called her match like nothing happened. Townsend was the #1 girls junior at the time too.

She did the Zeke feed me sign after she won. It was perfect.

It was my first time, but the new Louis Armstrong is awesome.

Medvedev is awesome. How about that Serena performance? As close to perfect as it gets.

No interview where Tom Rinaldi is the interviewer is fantastic.

Medvedev seems to have backed off the me vs the crowd thing a little bit. I think someone smartly got in his ear and told him it’s fine to have fun with the crowds but would be foolish to turn everyone against you at this point in your career.

Med has his psychologist in his box

would love to be a fly on the wall for those sessions

Is dimitrov really going to pull this out? He has played excellent tennis this whole tournament (which is shocking because of how he looked entering it).

Is dimitrov really going to pull this out? He has played excellent tennis this whole tournament (which is shocking because of how he looked entering it).

I thought Dimitrov played really well. He looked loose, and he was just going for it. Fed was crushing some ground strokes and Dimitrov sent them right back.

feels like the beginning of the end

I don't know about that. With all the strategic medical timeouts and injury excuses after losing (across the tour, not just fed), hard to tell how much of it is actual issues vs just got outplayed on that night.

When healthy, the big 3 is still a comfortable gap above the field. May be that the next generation never actually catches up to any of them (like Sampras) but their bodies just break down to the point that they can't play any more (like Murray).

Back