• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

This is one way to do it. Exhibition doubles match in Serbia today.

Very good chance that US Open will be cancelled or missing the top players.

Back in April I talked to someone who helps organize the US Open, and he said he couldn't imagine bringing 1 million people to NYC in September. That certainly seemed true at the time, but things are a bit different now, mainly because numbers are moving in the right direction in NYC and this idea of "creating a bubble" has emerged as other leagues have tried to determine a way forward. My best guess is that it will be held, without fans, and some of the top players will skip it.

Apparently Joker, Nadal and Serena are upset because the current US Open plan allows for each player to bring only other person with him/her to the event, and the players, along with their one additional support person is supposed to be quarantined for the duration of the event. In addition to their spouses/SOs, the top players travel in teams of 10+ with coaches, nutrionists, massage therapists, etc., and they can't/do not want to play in a major without all of the support people that they are used to.

Guessing the US Open will cave on the limit as, without fans, they are going to need the name players to participate in what will be a made for TV event. No one is going to watch if the US Open Final is Benoit Paire v. Matteo Berrettini.

Back in April I talked to someone who helps organize the US Open, and he said he couldn't imagine bringing 1 million people to NYC in September. That certainly seemed true at the time, but things are a bit different now, mainly because numbers are moving in the right direction in NYC and this idea of "creating a bubble" has emerged as other leagues have tried to determine a way forward. My best guess is that it will be held, without fans, and some of the top players will skip it.

I would be utterly shocked if most of the top 10 were there given the limitations on who you can bring

Apparently Joker, Nadal and Serena are upset because the current US Open plan allows for each player to bring only other person with him/her to the event, and the players, along with their one additional support person is supposed to be quarantined for the duration of the event. In addition to their spouses/SOs, the top players travel in teams of 10+ with coaches, nutrionists, massage therapists, etc., and they can't/do not want to play in a major without all of the support people that they are used to.

Guessing the US Open will cave on the limit as, without fans, they are going to need the name players to participate in what will be a made for TV event. No one is going to watch if the US Open Final is Benoit Paire v. Matteo Berrettini.

Benoit Paire in a final would make for some fantastic TV! But I get what you're saying.

I would watch the hell out of that match

I wouldn’t count on the Open being played based on the current climate in and around NYC. Just this weekend Cuomo threatened to shut down Manhattan and the Hamptons after seeing large crowds gathering. He also threatened to revoke liquor licenses from bars and restaurants that didn’t follow distancing guidelines. I would love it for things to clear up so the tournament could be played, but I’m not optimistic right now.

caught a bit of Bedene-Paire at the US Open last year and it was a lot of fun

2020 Winston-Salem Open cancelled. Thought there was an outside chance it might survive as a US Open tune up.

2020 Winston-Salem Open cancelled. Thought there was an outside chance it might survive as a US Open tune up.

I think the Cincy tourney is going to move to NY the week before the open starts, so the players will stay in NY for an extended period of time and will get 2 tournaments completed. But a lot can still change.

Halep out of the US open and Asian swing. Would imagine more and more non US players take this route

Interesting how much more trouble tennis is having getting re-started and getting all of the players to commit as compared to golf or even MMA. All are individual sports with athletes from all over the world. Realize that tennis is even more international than golf and MMA, but it also seems like the entourages and perhaps the diva quotient for elite tennis players exceeds that for elite golfers or other individual sport athletes.

does the US Open really bring 1 million people in from out of town? I call BS (having not researched this at all)

Interesting how much more trouble tennis is having getting re-started and getting all of the players to commit as compared to golf or even MMA. All are individual sports with athletes from all over the world. Realize that tennis is even more international than golf and MMA, but it also seems like the entourages and perhaps the diva quotient for elite tennis players exceeds that for elite golfers or other individual sport athletes.

well i'm shocked

Djokovic turned 33 and Nadal 34 in the last month. Don't tell me Federer isn't hoping for a strong 2nd wave to cancel the US and French this fall.

The protests from the elite players regarding the one companion restriction is probably one of the best indicators of how those at the top have stayed there so long. With tennis income so insanely top loaded, the big 3 on the men's side and a few women are taking in such a large percentage of the prize pool + endorsements it's kind of like the Power 5 conferences in football (or even Bama/Clemson/etc competing against Wake). Resources have become unlimited for Roger/Novak/Rafa/Serena, so even if their competitors are gaining on them in fitness/raw talent, the access to the latest in training, nutrition, recovery, medicine, travel etc help slow the fundamental decline you'd expect as the new generation should begin a takeover.

Golf obviously has a few guys earning a disproportionate amount of overall income too, but most of the silly money is endorsement based and the top 100 on tour last year all cleared $1 million in prize money. You hear a lot about the younger guys (Ricky/Justin/Jordan - guess they're not so young anymore) sharing houses at some events and haven't heard a single complaint about "bubble" restrictions in the PGA re-launch, so unless golfers are more private about their concerns it would suggest the support team in tennis is much more significant than golf.

Or maybe this explains why Tiger hasn't returned yet....

Back