• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Terrific crowd at the Joel tonight!

No, this game was an appropriate, moderately-sized game that, for the most part, reflects the current state of both programs. The ACC/B10 Challenge doesn't guarantee a big game, consistently performing at a high level does.

If we get back to that level, then attendance, ratings and interest all go up and the size of the Joel doesn't really matter. If we get really good again, low attendance would only be an issue for pre-conference cupcake blowouts.

Low attendance has always been an issue. So has excitement with our structure. This has been true for over 2 decade through 2 first ballot HOFers and I've been saying it the whole time.

I got the solution, guys. We should just play our basketball in Groves Stadium. One of the smallest stadiums of its kind and often compared to Wrigley Field! Perfect fit *and* we already own it.

Low attendance has always been an issue. So has excitement with our structure. This has been true for over 2 decade through 2 first ballot HOFers and I've been saying it the whole time.

So you were saying that WF had low attendance and lacked excitement in the mid-'90s? Joel was too loud back then for people to hear you I guess. Difficult for me to go any further if that's what you believe.

How about this:
ch90106_023.jpg

Would be perfect for our current students who attend games.

So you were saying that WF had low attendance and lacked excitement in the mid-'90s? Joel was too loud back then for people to hear you I guess. Difficult for me to go any further if that's what you believe.

Yep, and in '03-'05, when JJ Redick said the Joel was the hardest place to play in the ACC, he was talking about the lack of excitement and cavernous nature of the building, clearly.

I've been to a bunch of college and pro games (including DR's beloved Cameron Indoor), and don't think I've ever experienced a louder stadium/better atmosphere than the '05 UNC game and '09 Duke and UNC games.

Yep, and in '03-'05, when JJ Redick said the Joel was the hardest place to play in the ACC, he was talking about the lack of excitement and cavernous nature of the building, clearly.

I've been to a bunch of college and pro games (including DR's beloved Cameron Indoor), and don't think I've ever experienced a louder stadium/better atmosphere than the '05 UNC game and '09 Duke and UNC games.

05 UNC game was an amazing atmosphere!

Noobs really do forget what a magical place the Joel was back in the day.

Noobs really do forget what a magical place the Joel was back in the day.

This :thumbsup:

I was married on 11/11/89 the day that the Joel opened and had a very difficult time giving up my tickets that night!

When we were really good, which is line with the stance of many on this board - a consistently good program will bring good crowds.

right, but the Joel makes it difficult to create a good atmosphere for teams that are not top 10 caliber

We won. Crowd made all the difference as they were loud! Good job Deacs.

I think even he has given up on that concept - but he can correct me if I am wrong.

It is clear that the Deacon boulevard area with the Joel/BB&T/baseball/tennis facilities has become our athletic campus so I think it is a given that whatever we do with respect to a basketball arena will be located over there.

Off topic - but does anyone remember when BB&T gave us all that money and it was announced that we would refer to our football stadium as "BB&T Field at Groves Stadium" . . . . maybe I'm just mis-remembering, but I wish that was the case!
:

Off topic - but does anyone remember when BB&T gave us all that money and it was announced that we would refer to our football stadium as "BB&T Field at Groves Stadium" . . . . maybe I'm just mis-remembering, but I wish that was the case!
:

You aren't mis-remembering. It happened and it has proven to be a lot of BS. You can't find the name Groves Stadium anywhere at Groves Stadium. It was also I 10 year agreement, which should have ended this year. I may have missed it but I don't recall anything about an extension of the deal.

I think it's going to be called "The house the Wellman built" next year.

You aren't mis-remembering. It happened and it has proven to be a lot of BS. You can't find the name Groves Stadium anywhere at Groves Stadium. It was also I 10 year agreement, which should have ended this year. I may have missed it but I don't recall anything about an extension of the deal.

the deal as structured should have ended with this season, but the name Groves was dead in the press release

Sept. 5, 2007

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Wake Forest University and BB&T Corporation (NYSE: BBT) today announced a 10-year agreement to rename the Wake Forest football stadium as "BB&T Field at Wake Forest University" beginning with the 2008 season.

A brief renaming ceremony for the 31,500-seat stadium between Reynolds and Deacon boulevards - currently known as Groves Stadium - will be held between the first and second quarters of the Deacons' 2007 home-opening game against Nebraska on Saturday. BB&T Chairman and CEO John A. Allison and WFU President Nathan O. Hatch will be present for the event.

I remember that ceremony; got so choked up I drank every bottle of water in Groves

The UNC game in the mid-90’s when Randolph hit threes on 6 straight possessions and Rodney had the 360 breakaway slam.

Back