• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Texas will require burial of aborted fetuses

deac_tracy

Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/30/us/texas-burial-aborted-fetuses.html?_r=0

The rules, which go into effect on Dec. 19, mandate that aborted fetal tissue must be buried regardless of how long it has been gestating. The rules state it can either be buried directly after an abortion has been performed or it can be buried or scattered after it has been incinerated. Fetal remains can also be steam disinfected before burial, according to the guideline.

Small government party.

Miscarriages too, right? That only makes logical sense.

Are their laws in general mandating how people are buried?

The article says the rule doesn't apply to miscarriages or abortions, either one, that occur in the home. The article didn't spell this out explicitly, but I presume the idea is that the legislature concluded the burden should fall on medical providers, not the mother.

Makes total sense -- they're being completely reasonable here.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there does seem to be something different about that.

Although question this sounds loaded, I mean it sincerely. The article says any aborted fetus must be buried "regardless of how long it has been gestating", so what is preventing from burying used condoms from being next? Only when the semen has fertilized the egg is when life begins/thus required burial?

Going into the article I assumed it was for medical purposes/general cleanliness, but it appears the people who sponsored and wrote the bill wish to maintain the same definition of life/burial for a fetus at any stage as any human that dies.

Although question this sounds loaded, I mean it sincerely. The article says any aborted fetus must be buried "regardless of how long it has been gestating", so what is preventing from burying used condoms from being next? Only when the semen has fertilized the egg is when life begins/thus required burial?

Going into the article I assumed it was for medical purposes/general cleanliness, but it appears the people who sponsored and wrote the bill wish to maintain the same definition of life/burial for a fetus at any stage as any human that dies.

Do you not know how sex works?

This is fucked up. Got to bet the funeral directors' lobby pushed the idea, along with some crazy-ass ministers

Why is the government interfering with how people who suffer miscarriages or abortions handle the fetus? Seems like overreach to me.

so if you miscarry at a hospital the hospital is responsible for making sure it's buried?

Why would used condoms have anything to do with this bill?

They don't have anything at all to do with this bill specifically per se, but the bill is clearly an attempt by the Governor of Texas, trying to move the stakes for how to "reflect our respect for the sanctity of life". That seems like a possible next step in how the government could attempt to define/regulate/moderate life.

Is it a very logical next step, probably not? I would use the slippery slope argument here.

Back