• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thanks, Obama

A lot of cities require you to keep X% of the units affordable in order to build the property in the first place. However, if there were just less regulations people would have just made alot more apartment complexes already and everyone's rent would be affordable.

Interesting theories

A lot of cities require you to keep X% of the units affordable in order to build the property in the first place. However, if there were just less regulations people would have just made alot more apartment complexes already and everyone's rent would be affordable.

No they wouldn't. Without regulations, more and more would be gentrified. There would be no incentive to build low-mid income housing in decent neighborhoods.

What industry doesn't have equally stupid regulations?

Just because the regulations may take longer to comply with and more demanding doesn't make them stupid. And yes there are some ridiculous regulations, but if they're applicable industry wide, no one is gaining an advantage or getting screwed by them.

2&2, how would you do anti-discrimination laws?

Take a census. If there are buildings that are too homogenous, randomly select one tenant a year who has to watch 8 hours of Nick Cage per day, for a month.

No they wouldn't. Without regulations, more and more would be gentrified. There would be no incentive to build low-mid income housing in decent neighborhoods.

What makes a neighborhood decent?

A middle to upper income neighborhood, low crime.

If there's no incentive, why would a construction company not go for uniformly higher rents if they can get them?

If professional poker didn't have so many stupid rules then everyone would be rich!

You realize I stopped being a professional poker player because some house member added an unlawful internet gaming rider to a vital port security bill in 2006 with absolutely no warning or debate. Just woke up one day and had to find a job. That was a pretty stupid regulation.

Banks had to hire lawyers and spend millions if not billions to track and monitor and ensure they weren't sending money to places where people could play poker from their computer, because they didn't want to make it illegal for people to play, so they held the banks responsible and liable.

Last edited:
A middle to upper income neighborhood, low crime.

If there's no incentive, why would a construction company not go for uniformly higher rents if they can get them?

What makes a neighborhood have middle and upper incomes congregate together coupled with low crime?

Quit trolling...

I'm not, I'm leading you down the logical path of how to better solve housing discrimination. Change the way the schools and police forces are funded, i.e. decouple from property taxes.

Because it costs $5,000 in resources to evict the subsidized tenant who beats up his neighbor as opposed to the $500 it takes to evict the non-subsidized tenant who beats up his neighbor, because of all the additional hurdles to jump through. So that cost gets either passed on to the good tenants or eaten by the owners.

What are the hurdles? I'm genuinely interested.

Do you eat the costs or pass them on to good tenants?

You realize I stopped being a professional poker player because some house member added an unlawful internet gaming rider to a vital port security bill in 2006 with absolutely no warning or debate. Just woke up one day and had to find a job. That was a pretty stupid regulation.

Banks had to hire lawyers and spend millions if not billions to track and monitor and ensure they weren't sending money to places where people could play poker from their computer, because they didn't want to make it illegal for people to play, so they held the banks responsible and liable.

I meant all those stupid rules like not looking at your opponents cards, betting out of order, etc.

I meant all those stupid rules like not looking at your opponents cards, betting out of order, etc.

There are plenty of stupid rules there too. Play with a grumpy superstitious old person who's losing and they can request you change the cards once an hour, every hour. A process which results in everyone at the table having to sit and watch people shuffle cards for 5-8 minutes.

It is the only thing that gets me arguing with my fellow man in real life.

There are plenty of stupid rules there too. Play with a grumpy superstitious old person who's losing and they can request you change the cards once an hour, every hour. A process which results in everyone at the table having to sit and watch people shuffle cards for 5-8 minutes.

Well i guess you guys should keep railing on regulations then. Enjoy

I'm not, I'm leading you down the logical path of how to better solve housing discrimination. Change the way the schools and police forces are funded, i.e. decouple from property taxes.

You can't decouple schools from real estate taxes. You can add to lower income peoples' schools with state aid, but you won't get upper-middle class people class towns to send their money to lesser income areas.

It shouldn't get you upset. At that point, you know you own the guy who asked for new cards.

What are the hurdles? I'm genuinely interested.

Do you eat the costs or pass them on to good tenants?

For a non-subsidized tenant in North Carolina, NCGS 42-59 through 76 lets a landlord evict a tenant involved in criminal activity or drug activity on an expedited basis and with a preponderance of the evidence standard. So if there is a fight on the property, the property manager sees it, and we have a police report, then we file for eviction at the next Magistrate session and evict the bastard generally within 15-45 days. We don't need to wait for a criminal conviction or anything else. Because it is ultimately our property, and those rights and the safety of the other law-abiding tenants trumps everything else. Take that same scenario with a subsidized tenant, and we have to jump through a completely different set of notice and conviction requirements. So we're talking 4 to 8 months, if we're lucky, while it is tied up in court waiting on the criminal proceedings, all the while they are still living there, causing havoc and not paying their portion of the rent because they know they are likely gone anyway. And in some scenarios, if they plea down to a lesser offense, we can't toss them at all.

To your second question it is both. Some gets passed on, but only to a point when it would exceed other comparable market rates. But the area market as a whole gradually catches up if the problem is widespread, so ultimately all the good tenants pay.

Still, you must be making an acceptable profit in accordance with your business plan, or you would pack up and invest your money and time somewhere else. Invisible hands and whatnot.

You can have all the invisible hands you want, but if you're personally guaranteed on the debt from before the regulations came in and the numbers were completely different, you're still not packing up and going anywhere.

Why would someone want to live in low income housing in a high income neighborhood? So that there is no bus so they have to spend all of their money on gas and then they have to blow what's left of their paycheck at Whole Foods instead of getting better value at Walmart or Family Dollar? So that they can pay inflated prices for everything? Pro tip (that's what the kids say now, right?): that burger that costs $14 at Sourced Hipster Local Organic Gluten Free Craft Crafty Craft Tap Room Gastropub With a Side of More Handcrafted Craft (with weekend run club, of course) isn't any different than the burger that is 5.99 at Joe's Eats.

Back