• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thanks Sam and Team and Hats off to Pitt’s Coaches and Players

socaldeac

Reaction score
Feel bad for Sam, but we still can win a Major bowl. Hope the fan base continues to support Wake at a Major Bowl. Congrats to PITT they bounced off the ropes and their coaching staff made the adjustments and they players executed. Sometimes it just isn’t your day.

Feel bad for Sam, but we still can win a Major bowl. Hope the fan base continues to support Wake at a Major Bowl. Congrats to PITT they bounced off the ropes and their coaching staff made the adjustments and they players executed. Sometimes it just isn’t your day.

Yeah they shut us out after switching to the fake an injury after every catch defense. Solid coaching move.

I think they should make a rule that you can’t come back into the game until the other team gets a first down if you claim an injury. Definitely it was schemed and college football needs to make a rule to stop it.

We couldn’t have strung more than 3 positive plays together more than a few times due to fake injuries.

Fuck Pitt and their team full of "injured" players.

This is an absolute trash LOWF thread. Reminds me of the wake “fan” who apologized to a couple Pitt fans for us booing the “injuries” and aggressively clapped after every Pitt player walked off the field, only to come back in 2 plays later. If you were section 114, row 10, you’re my least favorite Wake fan I’ve ever been around.

For those not at the game. Watching TV they would often not show the field with the fake injuries. I can recall seeing about 1/2 dozen injuries after Q1. Was there a lot more injuries then shown?

Sounds about right. I think my son counted 7. I mean I know the Pitt D played great and all and I tip my hat to those bastards but the injury thing was very irritating along with the tv guy on the field.

I’m curious what they did from a scheme standpoint that was different from other teams. It seemed like they got pressure, but it also seemed like they had lots of DBs hawking the ball. Usually you have one or the other but not both. Hartman seemed rushed and confused. Our wideouts often were not even looking at the ball when it was thrown. Just bizarre how out of sync the team looked after looking so unstoppable in Q1.

When Sam is on, he is really good. When he is off, it is beyond disastrous. There weren’t even Wake receivers near on a couple of the interceptions. Between the interceptions and the whiffed tackles on Pickett’s run, we handed have Pitt 21 points.

Sucks because Sam seems like such a good kid and teammate.

The coaching staff needs to spend the offseason trying to figure out how to calm him down when things go off the rails.

It was blatant you could easily tell. I told my buddy watch this every positive momentum play watch a Pitt guy would get injured and sure enough. And I told him now that they have this lead watch the injuries suddenly decrease and they did.

I’m curious what they did from a scheme standpoint that was different from other teams. It seemed like they got pressure, but it also seemed like they had lots of DBs hawking the ball. Usually you have one or the other but not both. Hartman seemed rushed and confused. Our wideouts often were not even looking at the ball when it was thrown. Just bizarre how out of sync the team looked after looking so unstoppable in Q1.

Seems like a lot of overthinking going on. Some people saying we should have run screens and more backfield stuff, others pointing out that we did, people calling for shorter routes when we missed on a bunch of short sideline routes, etc.

It looked to me like CBS and Ellison weren't 100%. We made an understandable, but in my opinion incorrect, decision not to feature Cooley. Ellison/Turner/CBS combined for 60 total yard with only a single run over 10 yards. With no running game to worry about our offensive line simply couldn't hold up against their defensive line, and they could press man coverage because they only had to cover for 3 or 4 seconds mX. After the first pick (which yielded zero points by the way), Sam was sacked or hit hard on a near-sack on I think 7 of our next 8 possessions. Trailing by 3 the teams traded 6 punts to start the 3rd.

Early 3rd quarter is probably the time where the coaching comes into question - nothing creative or different, couldn't hold protection, it was only a matter of time before Sam either tried to force a few throws or their coverage picked up a read and picked him off. Down 2 scores it snowballed. We had 4 consecutive possessions to find a way to run the ball, make short throws, try a slant or two, maybe do something tricky, roll Sam out more, whatever. Instead it was just "Sam, sorry we can't run the ball or protect you, but please go win the game doing exactly the same thing every time."

As fans I know it felt like we were down way more than 3, especially considering how the first quarter went. It's like our coaches and Sam felt the same way, and instead of shifting into a grind-it-out mode they couldn't quit chasing the big play. Clawson said as much in the presser - that they just put kids in one-on-one positions, both protection and receivers, and expected them to win those battles. But they weren't, over multiple quarters, and we didn't adjust. Pitt's really good, wish we had learned more from the Clemson loss.

What seemed frustrating to me with those second half drives is that some of them started with a typical wake first down manufactured with shorter plays and then in the next series we’d immediately stop and try 30 yd one on one bombs

Fuck Pitt and their ridiculous use of the fake injury every time we got a first down. It’s poor sportsmanship.

Also fuck Pickett for that far slide. Bad form. Karma is a bitch so one would expect a concussion for him soon.

Wow, staying classy for sure.
Fact is Pitt kicked our ass last night and all the bitching and moaning won't change that.

Wow, staying classy for sure.
Fact is Pitt kicked our ass last night and all the bitching and moaning won't change that.

Did Pitt not use fake injuries and a fake slide ? That’s classless.

Back