• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

That'sa One Crazy Pope-a!

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
Pope Francis takes down capitalism and trickle-down economics!

How can it be that it is not a news item when an elderly homeless person dies of exposure, but it is news when the stock market loses two points? This is a case of exclusion…

…Some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world. This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naïve trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralized workings of the prevailing economic system. Meanwhile, the excluded are still waiting. To sustain a lifestyle which excludes others, or to sustain enthusiasm for that selfish ideal, a globalization of indifference has developed. Almost without being aware of it, we end up being incapable of feeling compassion at the outcry of the poor, weeping for other people’s pain, and feeling a need to help them, as though all this were someone else’s responsibility and not our own. The culture of prosperity deadens us; we are thrilled if the market offers us something new to purchase; and in the meantime all those lives stunted for lack of opportunity seem a mere spectacle; they fail to move us.

http://gothamist.com/2013/11/26/pope_francis_attacks_idolatry_of_mo.php

i look forward to the catholic church dumping all its relics and real estate and giving to the lesser

Question: I'm not going to click the link, but did "WE NEED TO SET AN EXAMPLE..." follow the quoted material?

i look forward to the catholic church dumping all its relics and real estate and giving to the lesser

Question: I'm not going to click the link, but did "WE NEED TO SET AN EXAMPLE..." follow the quoted material?

Not quite there yet, but

The Guardian points out, "Since his election, Francis has set an example for austerity in the church, living in a Vatican guest house rather than the ornate Apostolic Palace, traveling in a Ford Focus, and last month suspending a bishop who spent millions of euros on his luxurious residence."

Sounds good but, obviously, he accepted the head position in an organization that was built on unimaginable wealth upon the backs of people who, at best, were subjugated to economic servitude, and at worst, were slaves. Btw, I'm not saying you didn't know this, just throwing it out there for those who did not.

Last edited:
pretty big deal really. we're talking about the UBER conservative catholic church. now they just need to release all that heretical knowledge in their private library and i might not hate that institution so much.

Sounds good but, obviously, he accepted the head position in an organization that was built on unimaginable wealth upon the backs of people who, at best, were subjugated to economic servitude, and at worst, were slaves. Btw, I'm not saying you didn't know this, just throwing it out there for those who did not.

So like, all major organizations of historical importance?

If only capitalism could take a lesson from religion (and Catholicism in particular) in achieving social justice...

The Washington Times story on this completely ignored all the stuff about reforming capitalism and zeroed in on the three paragraphs in which the Pope reiterated the church's opposition to abortion. The headline was something like "Pope delivers warning to abortion-supporting politicians" and had a picture of Nancy Pelosi. Pretty funny.

ETA: Here it is. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/26/pope-francis-takes-veiled-swipe-progressive-democr/

"Pope takes veiled swipe at progressive Democrats". Not one single word about the social justice language. That is some fair and balanced shit right there.

Fox News actually did a pretty good story on it, better than CNN. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/11/26/pope-issues-mission-statement-for-papacy-saying-wants-missionary-merciful/

Last edited:
Best pope of my lifetime without question, and it's very early in his term.

There are quite obviously a plethora of glaring problems still facing the papacy and the Catholic church as an institution. I'm not sure how far this pope will go in terms of addressing them. To me, there is a massive gaping wound on the church right now surrounding abuse. The church needs to address it head on, and come down hard on it.

Still, in spite of everything else, this pope kinda rules.

Best don of my lifetime without question, and it's very early in his term.

There are quite obviously a plethora of glaring problems still facing the cosa nostra and the mafia as an institution. I'm not sure how far this pope will go in terms of addressing them. To me, there is a massive gaping wound on the mob right now surrounding RICO. The mafia needs to address it head on, and come down hard on it.

Still, in spite of everything else, this don kinda rules.

Townie's cousin from Queens.

I don't understand your point. It can be true that he both accepted a head position in an organization with a history of corruption and impropriety and also that he aims to eliminate those problems in the future.

This is like saying no POTUS could ever be a reformer because he accepted the head position in a country that needs reforming.

Back