• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2016 Panthers Thread: Keep Pounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gettleman led the charge for drafting JPP with Tuck, Osi, and Kiwanuka all under contract. No way he passes up Gregory if he falls that far just for weed.

JPP has 35 lbs on Gregory. Gregory is not going to be a 4-3 DE unless he puts on a ton of weight. That's a bad comparison. All those DEs on the Giants and Kony who he drafted last year are height/weight prototypes. If he drafts a 1st round DE it will be Odighizuwa.

JPP has 35 lbs on Gregory. Gregory is not going to be a 4-3 DE unless he puts on a ton of weight. That's a bad comparison. All those DEs on the Giants and Kony who he drafted last year are height/weight prototypes. If he drafts a 1st round DE it will be Odighizuwa.

I wasn't commenting on Gregory as to JPP, my point was that he'll take the position regardless of who is already on the roster.

ESPN is doing a special now simulating every first round pick.

The Panthers took Devin Smith even with Collins, Humphries and Shane Ray still on the board.

David Newton said the Panthers are really confident that they have sufficiently addressed the OL problems to allow them to make this pick.

Bill Polian and Todd McShay both said they LOVED the pick and that it would be a perfect fit with a guy like Cam who can drive the ball down the field.

Yeah, I'd be on board with this. We need speeeeeed and apparently this dude is one of the best deep-ball receivers to come out in a while. Would seem a perfect compliment to KB

The Panthers took Devin Smith even with Collins, Humphries and Shane Ray still on the board.

David Newton said the Panthers are really confident that they have sufficiently addressed the OL problems to allow them to make this pick.

Bill Polian and Todd McShay both said they LOVED the pick and that it would be a perfect fit with a guy like Cam who can drive the ball down the field.

I%20don%27t%20believe%20you.gif

I'm fine taking the right WR but I definitely don't think OL has been addressed.

I think G-man probably does believe he's addressed OT enough to where we don't have to reach for someone in the first round, but i'd be shocked if we don't take a couple tackles in the draft. He's said a few times it's a deep position.

Is Devin Smith really worthy of a first round pick? Dudes who just run really fast in a straight line don't tend to have as much success in the NFL as they have in college, especially once the defense knows that is all he can do. Is he any faster than Givens was coming out?

I wondered the same thing. I know he is good but I was thinking 2nd round good. I think Strong would be a better option. Also he is a deep threat but there is more than just straight line speed that makes you a deep threat. D. Smith can really go up and get the ball. He did it many times in college.

Yeah, I got a little excited watching that on ESPN. Was pretty cool as they had the beat writer for each team making the picks, so I would think a little more accurate than a Kiper/McShay mock which doesn't factor in team need as much.

However, David Newton said the Panthers were excited about Oher reuniting with his Raven OL coach and there wasn't a guy out there that could immediately make a difference.

Other notable picks in the 1st 25: Melvin Gordon went to SD ahead of Gurley (Det). Ereck Flowers went #9 to NYG and Kevin Johnson went to KC (around #18).

Is Devin Smith really worthy of a first round pick? Dudes who just run really fast in a straight line don't tend to have as much success in the NFL as they have in college, especially once the defense knows that is all he can do. Is he any faster than Givens was coming out?

From CatScratchReader: @PanthersAnalyst: If #Panthers are really serious about improving speed, Devin Smith is the perfect WR to select. Ultra successful on 9 routes.

So somebody here is way off. I haven't seen the film to know who.

It is not just his speed but his ability to track the ball when it is on the air that have scouts thinking he is the best deep threat in a long time.

That's a pick you have to talk yourself into, which to me is a bad pick for a team with a few glaring holes. However, what are the chances that Shane Ray now falls to the Panthers in the annual pot bust before the draft slide that everyone forgets the following week? Gettleman would be all over him.

We are in desperate need of someone that can score from anywhere on the field.

We were 10th in League YAC in 2011 - Cam's first year, and Smitty's last year of being a top 15 WR. Then we were 15th in 2012, 22nd in 2013 and 30th last year. Cam doesn't throw touchdowns unless he throws them in the fucking end zone. Some of that has to do with ball placement downfield, but it's also indicative of lacking someone that can take a 15 yard play 85 yards.

Our OT position is still really bad, but it's exacerbated by not having anybody that can stretch the field quickly. If the organization believes Devin Smith can be a Torrey Smith-type, the pick is a no brainer IMO.

Aside from oline, I don't think we have any giant glaring holes

Could def use depth and upgrades a few places but we've got starter caliber players across the board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back