• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2016 Panthers Thread: Keep Pounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the rookies are firmly on the depth chart in good spots that make sense.

Philly is going to finish 3rd on the team in receiving this year behind KB and Olsen, I think Funchess is going to take some time

They were talking in the DP show that they don't think he will get in but was an impressive player and hard worker blah blah blah. I think he gets in. Does John Kasay get in?

So does Smitty become the Panthers' first Hall of Fame player? And no, Reggie White does not count.

He has to. Delhomme was his best QB (as a passer anyway) - a mixture of Jimmy Clausen, Matt Moore, Chris Wienke, and David Carr threw him three years worth of passes. Plus he missed a full year in his prime with a broken leg.

Yet he's still #14th on the all-time receiving list (he's around 600 yards shy of 10th), he's one of only three receivers to win the triple crown, and posted the highest yards-per-playoff-game in league history.

The dude is a gamer, and changed the perception of what a #1 receiver could look like. Put him in, give him a statue, there will never be another Smitty.

He has to. Delhomme was his best QB (as a passer anyway) - a mixture of Jimmy Clausen, Matt Moore, Chris Wienke, and David Carr threw him three years worth of passes. Plus he missed a full year in his prime with a broken leg.

Yet he's still #14th on the all-time receiving list (he's around 600 yards shy of 10th), he's one of only three receivers to win the triple crown, and posted the highest yards-per-playoff-game in league history.

The dude is a gamer, and changed the perception of what a #1 receiver could look like. Put him in, give him a statue, there will never be another Smitty.

Hope he gets in, but I recall a lot of pundits devaluing stats of the 30-something WRs (Reggie Wayne, Smitty, Andre Johnson) because passing has become such a big part of the game now.

ETA: Also this from an article written in Dec. 2012:
The main factor working against Smith is the low number of receivers who have actually been inducted into the Hall of Fame. To date, only 16 players are listed as wide receivers in the Hall, and only four played after 1990; Rice, Michael Irvin, Art Monk, and James Lofton.

The next, perhaps most obvious, factor working against Smith is the fact that he doesn't have a Super Bowl ring. Rice, Irvin, and Monk all have three and Lofton played in three.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...yzing-the-steve-smith-nfl-hall-of-fame-debate

Last edited:
I can see that argument in Wayne's case, but Johnson and Smith had no such benefit of having a top-tier QB at any point in their careers - yet they're still among the best statistically to play the game at that position.

Plus Smith has many memorable moments in playoff games. I think that goes a long way.

Don't think Smith gets in, although I think he deserves to.

Hope he gets in, but I recall a lot of pundits devaluing stats of the 30-something WRs (Reggie Wayne, Smitty, Andre Johnson) because passing has become such a big part of the game now.

ETA: Also this from an article written in Dec. 2012:
The main factor working against Smith is the low number of receivers who have actually been inducted into the Hall of Fame. To date, only 16 players are listed as wide receivers in the Hall, and only four played after 1990; Rice, Michael Irvin, Art Monk, and James Lofton.

The next, perhaps most obvious, factor working against Smith is the fact that he doesn't have a Super Bowl ring. Rice, Irvin, and Monk all have three and Lofton played in three.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...of-fame-debate

Interesting stat (though Chris Carter, Andre Reed, and Tim Brown got in after that was written I believe). You have to assume that Randy Moss is getting in. Marvin Harrison and TO should get in as well, but the whole killing someone and headcase episodes, respectively, may impact it. Is Smith fourth in recent WRs behind those three, or are there others in his way? Isaac Bruce? I might put Anquan Boldin ahead of him given the rings.

Anquan Boldin? Absurd.

Smitty's going to get punished by the QBs he's played with in his career

Anquan Boldin? Absurd.

Smitty's going to get punished by the QBs he's played with in his career

Their stats are basically the same (AB: 940/12406/70; SS: 915/13262/73), but Boldin has played 2 fewer years and has a ring. Plus he equals if not exceeds Smith on the toughness scale.

Their stats are basically the same (AB: 940/12406/70; SS: 915/13262/73), but Boldin has played 2 fewer years and has a ring. Plus he equals if not exceeds Smith on the toughness scale.

Seriously, who the fuck cares if a WR has a ring? I mean, maybe if he was part of a dynasty or something, but he has one, whoop de doo. Sub Smith for Boldin and the Ravens don't win a ring? Spare me. Let's put Leyritz in Cooperstown while we're at it.

The most impressive parts of Boldin's career were when he initially burst into the league on a bad team with a bad QB situation and the last couple years when he was the lead dog at an advanced age in SF. In between he either posted mediocre numbers or was in a can't-fail situation playing with Warner and alongside prime Fitzgerald. Smith never exactly had that setup -- he's never had the luxury of going up against a #2 CB, not even last year.

Injuries play a part too -- Smith was an absolute beast in '03 and '05 but lost his entire '04 season -- and Smith wasn't a full-time WR out of the gate. He wasn't given the opportunity to go for 217 yards in his first-ever game like Boldin was.

Every time, give me the guy who was a difference maker in non-ideal situations over the average guy who stayed healthy, racked up stats and played in some very friendly offensive situations

Last edited:
Dont worry about it. Neither Smith, Boldin, nor anyone else on the Panthers current roster is going to the HOF. The first bro to get in that had a cup of coffee in a Charlotte Panthers uni will probably be Kevin Greene, and he's already been passed over I think 4 times.

Jules will probs get in before midget smith.

pm6gl1kygi6kcutyqhcf.jpg

Do the Ravens play the Redskins this year? Would love to see Smitty toast Deangelo Hall once again

Seriously, who the fuck cares if a WR has a ring? I mean, maybe if he was part of a dynasty or something, but he has one, whoop de doo. Sub Smith for Boldin and the Ravens don't win a ring? Spare me. Let's put Leyritz in Cooperstown while we're at it.

The most impressive parts of Boldin's career were when he initially burst into the league on a bad team with a bad QB situation and the last couple years when he was the lead dog at an advanced age in SF. In between he either posted mediocre numbers or was in a can't-fail situation playing with Warner and alongside prime Fitzgerald. Smith never exactly had that setup -- he's never had the luxury of going up against a #2 CB, not even last year.

Injuries play a part too -- Smith was an absolute beast in '03 and '05 but lost his entire '04 season -- and Smith wasn't a full-time WR out of the gate. He wasn't given the opportunity to go for 217 yards in his first-ever game like Boldin was.

Every time, give me the guy who was a difference maker in non-ideal situations over the average guy who stayed healthy, racked up stats and played in some very friendly offensive situations

You don't get credit or excused for being injured, that is a detriment. Especially when being compared to a guy who, again, played with a broken face. If Gronk never plays another down he isn't going to the HoF under a "what if he was healthy" excuse, he would stay out under a "too bad he could never stay healthy" rationale.

And your argument for Smith's situation can be easily used against you ... someone had to catch passes on the Panthers. Who would you rather have, the guy who puts up HoF stats on teams where he had to share catches with Larry Fitzgerald, or the guy competing for opportunities with Dewayne Jarrett?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back