• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2019 College Football Thread ! LSU NATIONAL CHAMPIONS ! CLEMSON SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!

Is everybody in agreement that both uga and auburn looked like shit yesterday?

With Tua out, LSU is the only team worth a shit in the sec

You've apparently watched so much ACC football you don't even remember what defense is.

That Ole Miss team that LSU beat 58-37 yesterday lost to Auburn 20-14 and Alabama 59-31. Each counts as a win.

LSU has given up a shitload of points to very average offenses and just kept them at arm's-length by continuing to score but the beat Alabama and Auburn by a combined 7 points.

Auburn Data:

Oregon 21
Auburn 27 (Neutral)

Auburn 28
Texas A&M 20 (Away)

Auburn 13
Florida 24 (Away)

Auburn 20
LSU 23 (Away)

Georgia 21
Auburn 14 (Home)

Alabama
Auburn (Home)

ESPN reporting successful surgery.

How does OU continually have such dogshit defense year after year? You've got the resources to hire a good DC and recruit great athletes. So why don't they do it?

Mike Stoops. Venables was before him and struggled as well. But Stoops was a horrible DC in his second go round with OU and of course Bob couldn’t fire his brother. Having just an average defense probably wins a natty two years ago and maybe even last year.

Much improvement in the first games this year with a new DC, but regression starting with KSU loss. In fairness, Jalen’s turnovers put them in that first half hole and they responded in the second half, but Baylor’s offense is very limited. Brewer throws the ball marginally better than I do.

OU probably two years away from getting the recruits it needs to be a good defense again. They have some talent on the line and Kenneth Murray obviously has the ability to be a beast sometimes, but their main problems for several years have been in the backfield. Just recruiting one elite lineman fixes a lot of those problems, but they all want to play in the SEC or Big 10 (or for Clemson).

Yeah, but "everybody" was saying that this is the year that OU was going to have a better defense and that first half on Saturday night made Baylor look like they were coached by Mike Leach. And one big time recruit on the d-line isn't going to fix that defense any more than it's going to fix Wake Forest's. Carlos Basham is a first or second round pick like Neville Gallimore. It's not enough.

Yeah, but "everybody" was saying that this is the year that OU was going to have a better defense and that first half on Saturday night made Baylor look like they were coached by Mike Leach. And one big time recruit on the d-line isn't going to fix that defense any more than it's going to fix Wake Forest's. Carlos Basham is a first or second round pick like Neville Gallimore. It's not enough.

I agree with you on OU's defense. As good as they've been on O, the D is just not good enough. I have the same issue with LSU. The offense is lights out but you can hardly call LSU a great defensive team. The chunk plays they give up should worry LSU fans. It's why OSU and Clemson should be the favorites in the playoff imo.

Saturday night, Ole Miss ran (400 yards rushing) through LSU's defense like Nebraska used to slice up Big 8 defenses in the Tom Osborne days. The LSU defense looked pathetic. Realize that LSU's offense is off the charts, but will be hard to win a Natty with that defense.

No need for gun.

Heart says Georgia. Head says same.

My head tells me that a team that loses at home to South Carolina isn't good enough to win the SEC championship and then 2 playoff games.

Heart says OSU, head says Clemson, unfortunately. They are the Death Star these days.

To me, schedule aside, Clemson seems to be the most complete team. Hopefully LSU and Clemson won't play each other, I don't think I could stand hearing Tiger Rag that many times.

Last edited:
right now, gun to head, national champion pick?

Clemson

1. best odds to make playoff

LSU has to beat UGA. I don't think a 1-loss non-conf champ LSU gets in
OSU still has 3 top 15 opponents - Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin/Minnesota.
UGA has to beat LSU.
Bama doesn't control it's own destiny. Needs LSU, Clemson, OSU to win out, and losses by most/all of Oregon, Utah, OU, Baylor.
Oregon and Utah have to play each other and still hope they can beat out OU.
OU needs to win out and hope they beat out Pac12 champ.

2. i like their odds to win 2 games in a row against top teams. their biggest flaw is lack of competition (which is a resume flaw but not really a team flaw) and they don't have the holes that some of the others have (LSU and OU no defense; UGA offense can struggle)

I only checked one site, but the current Vegas odds are 9/4 for OSU and LSU and 11/4 for Clemson

Oregon/Utah winner beats out OU (or Baylor), assuming no other losses for Oregon/Utah. OU won't overtake at one-loss PAC 12 champ.

Regarding the B1G: I thought Penn State looked really average this past weekend. Michigan and Gattis are rolling now, since the second half of the Penns State game, and could really cause Ohio State problems. Their defense is their strength. B1G West is meh.

Clemson has the same resume hole they had last year regarding quality of competition when they smacked down NC and Bama. I don't think their defense is as good this year after losing all those draft picks (how could it be ?).

The Clemson/tOSU winner. LSU will beat the Pac-12 champ then choke in the Natty.

Oregon/Utah winner beats out OU (or Baylor), assuming no other losses for Oregon/Utah. OU won't overtake at one-loss PAC 12 champ.

Regarding the B1G: I thought Penn State looked really average this past weekend. Michigan and Gattis are rolling now, since the second half of the Penns State game, and could really cause Ohio State problems. Their defense is their strength. B1G West is meh.

Clemson has the same resume hole they had last year regarding quality of competition when they smacked down NC and Bama. I don't think their defense is as good this year after losing all those draft picks (how could it be ?).

Michigan had the #1 defense in the nation going into the OSU game last year. They gave up 62, and it should have been worse.

Back