• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2019 College Football Thread ! LSU NATIONAL CHAMPIONS ! CLEMSON SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!

I only checked one site, but the current Vegas odds are 9/4 for OSU and LSU and 11/4 for Clemson

That really surprises me. They think Clemson is more likely to pick up a loss than Ohio State?

Clemson has to play 4-7 South Carolina and then a 3+ loss team from the Coastal

Ohio State has to play #9 Penn State, @#12 Michigan, #14 Wisconsin

Michigan had the #1 defense in the nation going into the OSU game last year. They gave up 62, and it should have been worse.

Yep. And they already got exposed by Wisconsin this year too.

However, that was a one-score game with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter before a blocked punt and an interception turned it into a blowout with 3:10 left in the 3rd Quarter.

Big 12 this weekend:

Texas at Baylor (-5.5) in a matchup of wounded animals
TCU at OU (-19)

PAC 12 this weekend:

Oregon (-14) at ASU
Utah (-23) at Arizona

Yeah, but "everybody" was saying that this is the year that OU was going to have a better defense and that first half on Saturday night made Baylor look like they were coached by Mike Leach. And one big time recruit on the d-line isn't going to fix that defense any more than it's going to fix Wake Forest's. Carlos Basham is a first or second round pick like Neville Gallimore. It's not enough.

Nobody was saying that. The fans were elated that Stoops was finally gone and thought there would be marginal improvement just through that, but the new guy still has to deal with undersized DBs. Now after 7 games a lot of people said OU’s D is good enough to win a natty, and that appeared to be the case until K State. It is still much better simply because it is capable of making stops sometimes and because the play on the line is more disruptive. But there are issues once you get into the second level. A few injuries have not helped as there is zero depth. Grinch is building depth by playing a 2 deep rotation to reduce fatigue. That will bear fruit down the road.

I’m not talking about a Gallimore level lineman. More like a Tommie Harris or Gerald McCoy elite lineman. A prime disruptor, the likes of which OU hasn’t recruited since...well... McCoy. Having one guy like that makes a huge difference and takes pressure off everybody behind him. There was a time when OU’s line always had that guy and the rest was filled in with Gallimore level guys. Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State have all had that.

Google “Oklahoma improved defense” and tell me what you see.

My head tells me that a team that loses at home to South Carolina isn't good enough to win the SEC championship and then 2 playoff games.

This! For old biffy, is the gun to the head just before or really after the game?

Google “Oklahoma improved defense” and tell me what you see.

A bunch of articles from October? Like I said, nobody was saying that until a few games were under the belt this year. Nobody was saying that before games were played. 7 games in, it seemed to be true. Then KSU happened, then Iowa State after a bye week.

A bunch of articles from October? Like I said, nobody was saying that until a few games were under the belt this year. Nobody was saying that before games were played. 7 games in, it seemed to be true. Then KSU happened, then Iowa State after a bye week.

Okay my dude. BTW, if you're waiting around for another Gerald McCoy-type generational recruit to save your defense in a three-year stint, you're likely to be disappointed.

Yeah, that is a good picture. The look on his face seems to say "Oh shit, I hope I don't knock this girl out!"

Posted by a Husker friend of mine. I had to laugh.

Frank Solich. 9+ wins in each of his 6 seasons. .753 percentage. Result: Fired.
Callahan. .551 in 4 seasons. Result: Fired (I get it).

Polini. 9+ wins each season. .705. Result: Fired.

Riley. .500 in three seasons. Result: Fired (I get it, not really a good fit to begin with).
Frost: .361 (likely if he wins one more game this year) in two seasons. Result: Extension with five years still remaining.

Nebraska needs to face the reality that given the locale and limited in-state talent (39th in population; the smallest state in population with a Power V conference team) and not convenient travel to any major population centers; it will always be difficult to get elite talent to come to Nebraska. Realize that they have a passionate fanbase and tradition, but that can only get you so far. IIRC, Nebraska was the favorite to get to the Big 10 CG. Among the most overrated teams in the nation this season.

Last edited:
Nebraska needs to face the reality that given the locale and limited in-state talent (39th in population; the smallest state in population with a Power V conference team) and not convenient travel to any major population centers; it will always be difficult to get elite talent to come to Nebraska. Realize that they have a passionate fanbase and tradition, but that can only get you so far. IIRC, Nebraska was the favorite to get to the Big 10 CG. Among the most overrated teams in the nation this season.

The reality that you reference (campus accessibility, recruiting base, etc.) is all the more reason to give Frost time to build his program. It's not a program where you can step in and immediately and significantly upgrade the talent on the roster. If you get into the habit of firing coaches every 2-3 years, you will forever be starting over and rebuilding.

Hope the committee move Georgia up to #3 just to fuck with Clemson.

Crazy generous to the Big Ten this week. Michigan and Wisconsin move up two spots while ND stays put ? PSU up 1 for looking pretty blah against IU ? Minnesota only drops two, down to #10.

Baylor only drops one slot to #14.

Top 7 remain the same.

1. LSU
2. tOSU - maybe they'll play somebody
3. Clemson
4. Georgia
5. Alabama
6. Oregon
7. Utah
8. Penn State
9. Oklahoma
10. Minnesota

LSU is #1 because of the point of view that beating Fla and Auburn, along with the very good win at Alabama sets them apart. ut they are giving up a ton of points to almost everybody and that doesn't bode well for a Natty. Truth is Fla and Auburn aren't that special or dynamic. They are both way over-matched against Alabama or LSU when Tua is healthy. They are the SEC's verion of the Penn St., Michigan, Minnesota argument. Those are all second tier over-hyped teams just like always happens. Minnesota before their decent win at home v Penn St had played one of the weakest schedules in the country and struggled with some of the teams. They beat Penn St and then immediately the next week crap the bed against a top 20ish Iowa. They're over-hyped. Penn St. struggled at home against a mediocre Pitt and had some other close games while losing to Minnesota. They're over hyped. Ohio St. hasn't played a tough schedule but they "look" for real. Don't expect Penn St, Michigan or the Big 10 West champ to change that unless maybe Wisconsin sneaks into the championship and plays lights out. Clemson is like OSU to me. A definitely talented team with such a shit schedule that we're tending not to be too impressed. Their defense is different than ly, but equally good so far, maybe statistically even better. Overall based on what we've seen LSU looks great because of their undefeated resume. But can they beat a Clemson or OSU? OSU and Clemson haven't been tested. Will one of them make a mistake and beat themselves? Frankly, OSU looks the most dynamic and balanced. Clemson has the experience and potential star power. LSU has the resume. The rest of the teams in the conversation don't matter I don't think.

Back