• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

Unlike Biff (who hilariously somehow ties everything back to UGA on every thread), I won't go into hiding for a couple months after that tOSU beatdown. Bama was just too good, and Sark called an absolutely unbelievable game. If two of tOSU's top 4 DL weren't out with COVID and a healthy Fields played like he did against Clemson, it would have been a lot closer, but Bama was always going to win that game.

Despite losing guys like Chase Young and Okudah from last year's team, by far tOSU's biggest loss on defense appears to have been DC Jeff Hafley to BC. I've never been sold on Kerry Coombs, despite his elite ability as a recruiter/motivator, and don't think he has the schematic/play calling chops to be an elite DC.

The college team vs. NFL team hypothetical is always fun, but I legitimately think that Bama offense (yes, including and maybe especially the OL) is better than a handful of NFL teams. Defense is nowhere in the same stratosphere, but the offense would score plenty of points.

Unlike Biff (who hilariously somehow ties everything back to UGA on every thread), I won't go into hiding for a couple months after that tOSU beatdown. Bama was just too good, and Sark called an absolutely unbelievable game. If two of tOSU's top 4 DL weren't out with COVID and a healthy Fields played like he did against Clemson, it would have been a lot closer, but Bama was always going to win that game.

Despite losing guys like Chase Young and Okudah from last year's team, by far tOSU's biggest loss on defense appears to have been DC Jeff Hafley to BC. I've never been sold on Kerry Coombs, despite his elite ability as a recruiter/motivator, and don't think he has the schematic/play calling chops to be an elite DC.

The college team vs. NFL team hypothetical is always fun, but I legitimately think that Bama offense (yes, including and maybe especially the OL) is better than a handful of NFL teams. Defense is nowhere in the same stratosphere, but the offense would score plenty of points.

But would Bama win the XFL Championship ?

Saban prefers coaching Bama than as compared to the NFL because he has more first round picks in Tuscaloosa -- at least five this year.

after being at 69 (!) through three quarters, game ended up being only one point over the 75 o/u

LSU's offense from last year fared pretty well in the NFL this year w/ Burrow, CEH, and Jefferson all making significant contributions.

LSU's offense from last year fared pretty well in the NFL this year w/ Burrow, CEH, and Jefferson all making significant contributions.

Yep, and WR Jamar Chase, who sat out this year, is expected to go super-high this year (top 5 on many mocks).

College vs. NFL team straight up is ridiculous. But if you asked GMs to choose between the Alabama starting offense on rookie deals and their current offense (and contracts), plenty of GMs would choose the young Alabama offense and spend cap room on defense.

the hypothetical scenario of the best college team being able to compete or even beat the worst NFL team will forever be an asinine debate. It would be a non-competitive blowout with an Opening line of -24. A team of Pros vs a team of a handful of future pros.

College vs. NFL team straight up is ridiculous. But if you asked GMs to choose between the Alabama starting offense on rookie deals and their current offense (and contracts), plenty of GMs would choose the young Alabama offense and spend cap room on defense.

Once upon a time there was a game between the NFL champion and a college all star team. As you might guess, the games were not competitive. Thus they were discontinued. The college guys had at multiple disadvantages.

It's still fun to speculate how the best college team and/or a college all star team would do against the worst NFL team.

If you take last year and this years projections for Alabama you would have QB- 2 1st rounders, OL- 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders, WR- 4 1st rounders, RB- 1 1st rounders. You are missing one lineman for a very dominate 1st team offense, obviously depth a huge problem, as well as NFL experience.

Maybe, but I don't think Bama's offense would embarrass themselves against a lot NFL defenses though.

Once upon a time there was a game between the NFL champion and a college all star team. As you might guess, the games were not competitive. Thus they were discontinued. The college guys had at multiple disadvantages.

It's still fun to speculate how the best college team and/or a college all star team would do against the worst NFL team.

Yeah, wasn't like college all-stars vs. an NFL team? So, you had a thrown together group college players going against an actual NFL team, not just some NFL players thrown together. Total disadvantage for the college players as if they were at a big enough disadvantage to start with.

Maybe, but I don't think Bama's offense would embarrass themselves against a lot NFL defenses though.

Right. This is the point. Talking offense only. Would you rather game plan against Bama's offense or the NY Jets? The only argument there is that the Jets OL is much better than Bama's, which I don't really think is true. This may have been the best college OL of all time. Give the Jets an edge at TE (maybe), but I'm taking Bama's RBs and WRs in a landslide, and give the edge to Jones over Darnold (especially in their respective offenses). And I'm definitely taking Saban/Sark over Gase and whoever.

Yeah, wasn't like college all-stars vs. an NFL team? So, you had a thrown together group college players going against an actual NFL team, not just some NFL players thrown together. Total disadvantage for the college players as if they were at a big enough disadvantage to start with.

The all stars vs NFL champions game was played in Chicago from 1934 until 1976, as a preseason game, usually in August. The college all stars won 9, with their last win in 1963 over the Packers.

After 1976 it was discontinued because, among other reasons, the NFL teams wanted their best rookies in vamp, not practicing for an exhibition game.

Right. This is the point. Talking offense only. Would you rather game plan against Bama's offense or the NY Jets? The only argument there is that the Jets OL is much better than Bama's, which I don't really think is true. This may have been the best college OL of all time. Give the Jets an edge at TE (maybe), but I'm taking Bama's RBs and WRs in a landslide, and give the edge to Jones over Darnold (especially in their respective offenses). And I'm definitely taking Saban/Sark over Gase and whoever.

But Gase is a former Saban assistant . . . and you know what that means.

The all stars vs NFL champions game was played in Chicago from 1934 until 1976, as a preseason game, usually in August. The college all stars won 9, with their last win in 1963 over the Packers.

After 1976 it was discontinued because, among other reasons, the NFL teams wanted their best rookies in vamp, not practicing for an exhibition game.

So not only did the college all-stars play an actual NFL team, they got the current NFL champs, that was fair.

So not only did the college all-stars play an actual NFL team, they got the current NFL champs, that was fair.

The fact that the college allstars won nine games, all in the pre-Super Bowl era, shows the level of play at the professional level. Most of the pros had regular off-season jobs. The NFL didn't pay enough to support a family on 14 game checks.

Yeah I mean this is just an absurd collection of talent on offense. And so many pieces had to work out correctly for it to happen. Obviously recruiting these guys in the first place but Harris was never supposed to be back. Their “fourth best” WR ends up logging possibly the best season of any college wideout ever. I forget which OL was supposed to leave but also passed up a first round grade to come back. And then obviously Jones going all Joe Burrow redux on everyone.

The fact that the college allstars won nine games, all in the pre-Super Bowl era, shows the level of play at the professional level. Most of the pros had regular off-season jobs. The NFL didn't pay enough to support a family on 14 game checks.

Oh yeah, I think that was probably the case as recently as maybe even the early 80's. Definitely the 70's, I think Piccolo worked at an insurance company in the off season during his tragically short NFL career.

Back