• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

After IU's best season in a generation, my Hoosiers are playing 4-5 Ole Miss in the Outback Bowl. IU's former AD, Fred Glass who retired just this past year and is the guy who hired Tom Allen, had this to say yesterday:

“I’m not AD anymore, nor officially affiliated with IU, so I can tell you what I think, and that is this: Our program, our coach and our kids got done in by the good-old-boy Big Ten football power structure,” Glass said, according to Zach Osterman of the Indianapolis Star.

“There are influential people who don’t want Indiana to be good in football. They’re used to coming into our state and poaching our best high school players and counting us a ‘W’ on their schedules.

“That’s why they don’t advocate for us. Is there any real doubt we’re the second-best team in the conference? Look at the polls, even the CFP. Look at the common opponents. To those who are trying to kill a resurgent Indiana football program, I say, it’s not going to work. You’re just putting more logs on the fire. I love Tom Allen, and I love these kids.”

I think this is a short at Gary Barta, Iowa athletic director, given that Iowa aggressively recruits the state of Indiana. It's also likely a shot at Barry Alvarez, Michigan AD Warde Manual, and Gene Smith, all of whom were vocal in the obvious need to change the rules midstream to suit OSU's needs.

Love it when officials take off the gloves and don't hold back. Lot of truth in what Fred Glass had to say. Even so, don't understand his complaint about bowl assignments, when considering the bowl invites by the other Big 10 teams not clear to me where IU should've gone.

Wisconsin is playing WF in the May Bowl - Doubt that is viewed as an upgrade over the Outback Bowl.
Iowa is playing Mizzou in the Music City Bowl - Same analysis as above
Northwestern is playing Auburn in the Citrus Bowl - Maybe this is considered a slight upgrade on the Outback, but both games are on ABC, and NW's Bowl is on at the same time as one of the Big 6 Bowl games, the Peach (UGA v. Cincy); while Indian's Bowl game is the only one played at that time; also, it's not like NW football is considered the golden child of the Big 10; NW fans also feel like the Big 10 would prefer NW to suck; plus NW did win the Big 10 West.

If he's pissed that tOSU got to play in the Big 10 CG, I can understand that a little bit, but tOSU did beat Indiana, and tSOU would have qualified for the Big 10 title game over IU even had tOSU lost the cancelled game against Michigan. It's not like IU was going to play in the BCS.

Is there any protocol in place in the event a bowl team has to back out b/c of covid cases? Would be cool of Army to say something like "our players train for 4 years to be able to respond to any crisis anywhere in the world on a moment's notice. So to all you bowl reps out there, from the Rose, Sugar and on down the list, if you need a last-minute fill-in, the men of West Point can deploy boots (and cleats) on the ground to your stadium at a moment's notice".

Is there any protocol in place in the event a bowl team has to back out b/c of covid cases? Would be cool of Army to say something like "our players train for 4 years to be able to respond to any crisis anywhere in the world on a moment's notice. So to all you bowl reps out there, from the Rose, Sugar and on down the list, if you need a last-minute fill-in, the men of West Point can deploy boots (and cleats) on the ground to your stadium at a moment's notice".

Was listening to ESPNU radio and they had a decent idea. If you remember, Central Arkansas was on of the 2 FCS teams that got this whole season started as they traveled to Austin Peay and Stepped up to play North Dakota State's only 2020 game. They said they should get a bowl invite to play Army. Sure, that's not the opponent Army would want, but it'd be an opponent and a reward for Central Ark that was the team that traveled to show it was possible to play football during the pandemic.

Was listening to ESPNU radio and they had a decent idea. If you remember, Central Arkansas was on of the 2 FCS teams that got this whole season started as they traveled to Austin Peay and Stepped up to play North Dakota State's only 2020 game. They said they should get a bowl invite to play Army. Sure, that's not the opponent Army would want, but it'd be an opponent and a reward for Central Ark that was the team that traveled to show it was possible to play football during the pandemic.

Yes, Army deserves better. But I am with you in rather seeing Army play Central Arkansas in some bowl then seeing Army left out completely. That is a travesty of the current system.

Given the current circumstances, it seems likely some teams are going to have to pull out of their bowl for COVID reasons. Sounds like Army is ready to step when/if that happens.

Will be interesting to see what happens if there is an outbreak with one of the 4 BCS finalists. Does the BCS declare a forfeit? Delay the game? Name another team? Try to play the game anyway?

I was in the "let them play" camp, but at this point, it seems like the wisest course is to just have Bama play Clemson on January 1, and then call it a season.

Central Arkansas hasn't played a game since November 14. They wouldn't be read to play in Shreveport in six days.

Independence Bowl officially canceled.

Blame the PAC 12 for not showing up for a bowl they were commited to, not South Carolina.

Also, if Northwestern or Indiana had somehow gotten a NY6 bowl invitation, Wake might be calling up Army and asking them to come to Charlotte because the other nine fucking B1G schools aren't playing in bowl games.

Given the current circumstances, it seems likely some teams are going to have to pull out of their bowl for COVID reasons. Sounds like Army is ready to step when/if that happens.

Will be interesting to see what happens if there is an outbreak with one of the 4 BCS finalists. Does the BCS declare a forfeit? Delay the game? Name another team? Try to play the game anyway?

I was in the "let them play" camp, but at this point, it seems like the wisest course is to just have Bama play Clemson on January 1, and then call it a season.

I'm not going to be sure our game gets played until I see the kick off. Of course not having FSU as the opponent helps.

Also, if Northwestern or Indiana had somehow gotten a NY6 bowl invitation, Wake might be calling up Army and asking them to come to Charlotte because the other nine fucking B1G schools aren't playing in bowl games.

Clear athletic department ties would have greased the wheels.

Got to be a bit of a slap in the face for App to have to play in a bowl at the home field of the team that finally took the Sun Belt crown from them. Love it!

Love it when officials take off the gloves and don't hold back. Lot of truth in what Fred Glass had to say. Even so, don't understand his complaint about bowl assignments, when considering the bowl invites by the other Big 10 teams not clear to me where IU should've gone.

Wisconsin is playing WF in the May Bowl - Doubt that is viewed as an upgrade over the Outback Bowl.
Iowa is playing Mizzou in the Music City Bowl - Same analysis as above
Northwestern is playing Auburn in the Citrus Bowl - Maybe this is considered a slight upgrade on the Outback, but both games are on ABC, and NW's Bowl is on at the same time as one of the Big 6 Bowl games, the Peach (UGA v. Cincy); while Indian's Bowl game is the only one played at that time; also, it's not like NW football is considered the golden child of the Big 10; NW fans also feel like the Big 10 would prefer NW to suck; plus NW did win the Big 10 West.

If he's pissed that tOSU got to play in the Big 10 CG, I can understand that a little bit, but tOSU did beat Indiana, and tSOU would have qualified for the Big 10 title game over IU even had tOSU lost the cancelled game against Michigan. It's not like IU was going to play in the BCS.

I think there are two things. I suspect he views Gary Barta as less than impartial and given that IU never cracked the CFP top 10 and was behind multiple teams with bad losses, he believes that Barta's loyalty to Iowa was at the very least holding Barta back from advocating for IU.

It also seems obvious that Glass believes that at the very least, IU should be playing in the Citrus Bowl against Auburn and not in the Outback Bowl against a 4-5 team. It's hard to make an objective argument that NW had a better year than did IU if you look at common opponents and overall performance. As it is, IU is the highest ranked team in the AP poll's history to play in the Outback.

I don't personally think there's a conspiracy against IU but I do think that Glass's perspective that the conference powers are entirely comfortable keeping IU in its place is spot on and that the will trample on IU in the name of the conference every single time if they think it serves their own interests.

Tennessee is out of the Liberty Bowl due to Covid. Looks like Army will get a bowl game. The opponent would be West Virginia.

Got to be a bit of a slap in the face for App to have to play in a bowl at the home field of the team that finally took the Sun Belt crown from them. Love it!

App is destroying N Texas State. Currently 49-21 and would be worse if not for penalties.

I think there are two things. I suspect he views Gary Barta as less than impartial and given that IU never cracked the CFP top 10 and was behind multiple teams with bad losses, he believes that Barta's loyalty to Iowa was at the very least holding Barta back from advocating for IU.

It also seems obvious that Glass believes that at the very least, IU should be playing in the Citrus Bowl against Auburn and not in the Outback Bowl against a 4-5 team. It's hard to make an objective argument that NW had a better year than did IU if you look at common opponents and overall performance. As it is, IU is the highest ranked team in the AP poll's history to play in the Outback.

I don't personally think there's a conspiracy against IU but I do think that Glass's perspective that the conference powers are entirely comfortable keeping IU in its place is spot on and that the will trample on IU in the name of the conference every single time if they think it serves their own interests.

I doubt he’s worried about Citrus vs Outback. He probably thinks they should be in a NY6 bowl. Imagine if Michigan or Penn State finished the season with 1 loss, second in the division, only loss being to division winner Ohio State. They’d absolutely be a top 10 team and playing in the Orange/Cotton/Fiesta.

IU was the second best team in the B1G this year. They earned better than they received, from the conference and from the CFP rankings.

Back