• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

I just think an 8-team playoff that guarantees a slot for a PAC 12 team and a non-P5 team is total BS. Why does it make sense to have a 4-team playoff with the best 4 teams and then have an 8-team playoff with theams who won some shitty conference ?

And if Clemson somehow went 11-2 as the champion against this version of the ACC, how in the world would you say they're a great team ?

The ACC isn’t as bad as you make it out to be. The SEC also isn’t as good as the media wants it to be.

Looking forward to Oklahoma vs. Florida, though I wonder how watered down the rosters will be from opt-outs.

Same goes for Cincy vs. UGA... Wonder how motivated the Dawgs will be (and how their roster will be impacted). Could we see a repeat of UCF/Auburn from a few years ago?

Looking forward to Oklahoma vs. Florida, though I wonder how watered down the rosters will be from opt-outs.

Same goes for Cincy vs. UGA... Wonder how motivated the Dawgs will be (and how their roster will be impacted). Could we see a repeat of UCF/Auburn from a few years ago?

Opt outs are definitely going to be an issue for Georgia but I think a lot of guys are going to want to play after getting screwed over by Vandy and I’m sure they feel good about the way things have been going otherwise.

Let the record show that Kevin Warren and the Big Ten totally fucked over the bowls and a lot of football teams who wanted to play in a bowl game over the next couple of weeks, especially Army.

Same goes to Larry Scott and the PAC 12 to a lesser degree because they don’t pretend that they’re not a joke.

Both of those guys should be fired.

You’re right. The ACC is actually worse and the SEC is actually better.

The SEC was hot garbage this year. If you and Biff and Reff are such huge SEC/UGA/UofSC/etc fans then why are y’all on this board so damn much?

This is how you do a Coaches' Poll:

EpxHmixWwAUtQRG

Talk about bulletin board material. What an idiot.

Though Ryan Day's leaked post-game locker room speech will def be used by Clemson too.

Not really news. I'm sure the SEC guys wanted an SEC team in there. Especially Saban, since he knows he'd destroy them again.

Let the record show that Kevin Warren and the Big Ten totally fucked over the bowls and a lot of football teams who wanted to play in a bowl game over the next couple of weeks, especially Army.

Same goes to Larry Scott and the PAC 12 to a lesser degree because they don’t pretend that they’re not a joke.

Both of those guys should be fired.

It's the B1G's fault that 2-8 South Carolina is playing in a bowl?

It's the B1G's fault that 2-8 South Carolina is playing in a bowl?

Of course not. If Illinois wanted to go to a bowl they're more than welcome to do so.

It's Kevin Warren's fault that tOSU is somehow eligible for the playoff with its paltry number of games but IU can't get into a NY6 game with one loss while ISU can with three losses. And it's absolutely pathetic for a conference that competed in nine bowls last year to turn around and only compete in five this year, while arguing that they played a full season. The B1G and its member instutions apparently only exist to serve as whores for tOSU. And if you're unsure about that last part then consider that the B1G changed its COVID protocol to allow more Ohio State players to be eligible for the playoff.

Biff won't stop until all 4 teams in the playoff are from the SEC. Every other conference sucks according to him.

This year is unique because there were ZERO OOC games played between Power V schools.

Generally, that should open the door from no more than one rep from any conference. The one thing we did learn is that the Big 12 sucks as the Sun Belt went 3-0 (all on the road) against the Big 12, including a 17 point win at Iowa State (a Big 12 CG finalist). That should have eliminated them; plus no team survived conference play with less than 2 losses. Big 12 out. Even though the Pac 12 played the most abbreviated schedule, no team could navigate a super short schedule undefeated; so the Pac-12 is eliminated. The Big 10 put themselves in a hole with a late season start and no room for make up games; and the Big 10 would've been out had: a) tOSU lost to NW (which almost happened); b) Florida had not thrown up on itself against LSU and then beat Bama (which came closer than expected). A&M barely beat horrendous Vandy, lost to Bama by 28 (it wasn't that close), and has one good win. Even though tOSU is weaker this year than it has been in the past and even though they played only 6 games, they don't have a 28 point loss; so, I can see the rationale behind putting tOSU in.

Bottom line is the current system sucks; watching the same teams in the playoffs each year is draining interest. There should be an 8 team playoff. Every conference champ should make it, and then the committee picks the 3 at large teams. It would get some new blood in the playoffs, and if the SEC dominates every year, then, the fans of those schools (essentially, the fans of 12 of the 14 schools in the conference who never win the NC, but some claim entitlement to Bama's success) can more legitimately claim superiority. I will watch, but seems inevitable that Clemson is going to play Bama again for the NC. Yawn.

Last edited:
Of course not. If Illinois wanted to go to a bowl they're more than welcome to do so.

It's Kevin Warren's fault that tOSU is somehow eligible for the playoff with its paltry number of games but IU can't get into a NY6 game with one loss while ISU can with three losses. And it's absolutely pathetic for a conference that competed in nine bowls last year to turn around and only compete in five this year, while arguing that they played a full season. The B1G and its member instutions apparently only exist to serve as whores for tOSU. And if you're unsure about that last part then consider that the B1G changed its COVID protocol to allow more Ohio State players to be eligible for the playoff.

I have serious problems with the B1G and how it treated IU over the last few weeks (more to come on that later) but blaming the B1G for Army's exclusion is absurd, especially when the SEC is sending multiple teams with losing records to the post season.

After IU's best season in a generation, my Hoosiers are playing 4-5 Ole Miss in the Outback Bowl. IU's former AD, Fred Glass who retired just this past year and is the guy who hired Tom Allen, had this to say yesterday:

“I’m not AD anymore, nor officially affiliated with IU, so I can tell you what I think, and that is this: Our program, our coach and our kids got done in by the good-old-boy Big Ten football power structure,” Glass said, according to Zach Osterman of the Indianapolis Star.

“There are influential people who don’t want Indiana to be good in football. They’re used to coming into our state and poaching our best high school players and counting us a ‘W’ on their schedules.

“That’s why they don’t advocate for us. Is there any real doubt we’re the second-best team in the conference? Look at the polls, even the CFP. Look at the common opponents. To those who are trying to kill a resurgent Indiana football program, I say, it’s not going to work. You’re just putting more logs on the fire. I love Tom Allen, and I love these kids.”

I think this is a short at Gary Barta, Iowa athletic director, given that Iowa aggressively recruits the state of Indiana. It's also likely a shot at Barry Alvarez, Michigan AD Warde Manual, and Gene Smith, all of whom were vocal in the obvious need to change the rules midstream to suit OSU's needs.

Back