• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The agony of defeat

^Agreed. It's not just that we lost to UVA. It's that combined with HOW we lost to UVA and more importantly the fact that we are 1-7 in the conference.

See you next year guys. I'll get sucked in again but even the evidence of our incoming recruits doesn't suggest there should be much hope for next year

That and the sky is falling

Wait until you see Chill and Washington play. Both have pure strokes and can hit from deep.

Was too busy yesterday to weigh in but at this point I'm just done. I wish there was a way I could block any Wake basketball scores from appearing on espn or any other website, from now until the day I die. I just don't want to have to scroll past it. I've been a Wake fan since way before arriving on campus with the "Four Freshmen" in 1978 but at some point you have to cut your losses and be done with it. That's where I am now. I'll come back to the boards when football season gets close (not that I'm a big contributor or anything, but I like seeing the inside scoop from people who spend a lot of time and effort to give us their usually well-informed thoughts). Until then, aloha.

P.S. I have the utmost respect for those of you who keep watching and rooting. You are made of stronger stuff than I am. Good for you.

Seriously mess up if this is the game people are quitting on Wake for. They kept the #11 team tied up for the entire game. DT went out and kids stepped up. DT comes back with a monster dunk on a gimpy ankle. After the Miami game people are question if the kids or the coach cares, that was answered tonight.

Completely stupid way to lose, but this may very well be 'the bottom' of the DM era. Everyone knows the schedule is beneficial after this weekend, they have to play for that. Improve as a team, don't make these mistakes again, play for the a post season bid for DT and CMM and actually make some noise in the ACCT.

While I agree that quitting on the team after this game (of all games) is silly, the bolded is straight-up loser mentality and we need to be rid of it. That was a beatable UVA team and a game that could've paid significant dividends later in the season. It's not like we lost to the Mashburn UK team.

Sorry you feel that way lazy and eric- in the words of Bluto Blutarsky in Animal House, did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO!

And a certain cow college coach once preached to never give up!

Crushing loss? Yes, but better days are ahead and I'll be along for the road all the way back up no matter how trying it might be. :thumbsup:

I can't quit. If you didn't quit during the four years of NAME REDACTED, I don't see how you can quit now.

I have begun the habit of just checking in during the second half to see how we're doing, and whether it's worth tuning in. Like all of you, I'm busy. Gotta be worth my time. Of course, this tactic is foolish in its own right, because if I see we're winning, even winning big, it does not mean that watching it to the end will be time well spent. In fact, it could actually cost me emotional energy that I didn't have to give, as was the case the other night.

Sorry you feel that way lazy and eric- in the words of Bluto Blutarsky in Animal House, did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO!

And a certain cow college coach once preached to never give up!

Crushing loss? Yes, but better days are ahead and I'll be along for the road all the way back up no matter how trying it might be. :thumbsup:

This.

All you limp-wristed pansies who want to cry and moan because we lost on a last second shot to UVA can kiss my ass!

Here's my dime.

First I am not a "life long fan" like most of you here. Always liked the "Deacs" from afar but it was not until my youngest started Wake in 2002 did I really start following WF sports religiously. I love college sports and with the oldest going to New Hampshire and my daughter going to James Madison, I was eager to "go all in".

Over the years I've become pretty ambivalent about the football program. I'll go to a game once a year if their playing in the NE but frankly I've watched enough college football to know that a school the size of Wake has a tough time staying competitive and it is what it is. Don't get me wrong, our trip to the Orange Bowl under Grobe (I was there) was magical but to think that's happening anymore than once every 15-20 years is kidding themselves. Stay competitive in the ACC, beat Dook as often as possible and I'm fine.

Basketball is another issue. I mean really, what school's has a better history of quality basketball than Wake Forest? There is no reason in the world of college sports that Wake shouldn't be and stay in the top 50 schools in the Nation (yes NCAA tournament) every year. Sure it's competitive but damn, with the resources and tradition we have as a school there are no excuses. Odem was fine, Skip even better and Dino ok but (name readacted) damaged us so badly it is just going to take time to get back on our feet. People closer than I would know better how much the Admin and Wellman (who frankly from afar seems way past his prime) are to blame but I have faith in Manning. Yes he needs to grow as a HC and I scratch my head sometimes on some of his moves, And yes, I as many of you nearly put my foot through the set watching UVA (Syracuse was worst in my mind) and wondering out loud where the team that beat UCLA, Indiana, LSU and almost Xavier, is. But it's about the players and for that we have to invest and be patient with our young talent and recruit our asses off for a better future. No excuse this go round. If we don't get back in cycle as a top 50 team (not asking much) by the 2018 season something needs to be seriously blown up. Being a Jet fan is a tough enough; this shit has to stop.

This.

All you limp-wristed pansies who want to cry and moan because we lost on a last second shot to UVA can kiss my ass!

Yo, Carl. First, great screen name. Not as good as mine, but close.

Second, I'm willing to live with the limp-wristed epithet. It's fine. As you saw from my post, I gave full credit for those of you who can still take it. But like the great man said, "A man has to know his limitations." I just found out what my limitation is in respect of Wake basketball. It was the UVA game. I made it through all the other crushing defeats. West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Cleveland State. The Nut Punch. Fucking Boston College in the NCAAs when they had that quick little guard back in the 80s. Stanford, the Butlerization, you can go on and on. Were there bright spots? A few, but not enough. So, this was the straw that did it for me. Again, for the rest of you, soldier on and I'm proud of you and wish I had the same strength. But I've gotten old and I have to save my energy for the things that matter. In short, I just can't take it anymore. Not happy about it, but that's the way it is for me.

Lol, we won the nut punch game though. One of our finest finishes, if I recall.

Yo, Carl. First, great screen name. Not as good as mine, but close.

Second, I'm willing to live with the limp-wristed epithet. It's fine. As you saw from my post, I gave full credit for those of you who can still take it. But like the great man said, "A man has to know his limitations." I just found out what my limitation is in respect of Wake basketball. It was the UVA game. I made it through all the other crushing defeats. West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Cleveland State. The Nut Punch. Fucking Boston College in the NCAAs when they had that quick little guard back in the 80s. Stanford, the Butlerization, you can go on and on. Were there bright spots? A few, but not enough. So, this was the straw that did it for me. Again, for the rest of you, soldier on and I'm proud of you and wish I had the same strength. But I've gotten old and I have to save my energy for the things that matter. In short, I just can't take it anymore. Not happy about it, but that's the way it is for me.

You'll be back.

Back