• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Belmont is Saturday

We decided to have an informal, low-key gathering to watch the Belmont on Saturday, and a Google search of "Belmont party ideas" or "Belmont traditions" basically yields articles lamenting that unlike the Derby and Preakness there are no Belmont traditions. No signature/traditional dress, song, drink, food, etc. other than a few relatively recent and semi-contrived items. But regardless as a very casual horse race observer I'm really pumped for the race and a chance at a triple crown winner.

We decided to have an informal, low-key gathering to watch the Belmont on Saturday, and a Google search of "Belmont party ideas" or "Belmont traditions" basically yields articles lamenting that unlike the Derby and Preakness there are no Belmont traditions. No signature/traditional dress, song, drink, food, etc. other than a few relatively recent and semi-contrived items. But regardless as a very casual horse race observer I'm really pumped for the race and a chance at a triple crown winner.

Well I think Belmont Park is close to the island. Maybe you could serve Long Island iced teas, soft pretzels and pizza. Just to get people in the mood as they arrive, if you have some bushes out front, maybe you could have someone dress up like a mugger to welcome them.

Follow whatever pick 4 he suggests, then a tri with something like this...

Chrome
Tonalist/Wicked Strong/ROC
Tonalist/WS/ROC/Samraat/General A Rod

This looks like it would pay about what the Preakness trifecta did - $76 for a $2 bet. This bet would cost $24.

This is a tough to make a lot profit on.

For the casual players, don't think you can be a long shot to show and make a lot of money. It's likely there will be a negative pool on Chrome. If there's enough bet on Chrome to show, you 20-1 shot might pay $2.10 -$3 to show.

What do you think, RJ? Would that even make money? Guess you'd have to hope for Samraat or General to hit

This card is wild http://www.nyra.com/belmont/entries/20140607/

The Belmont is in TWO Pick 4 s and a Pick 6.

It's a shame there isn't a $1 Pick 6.

Before I see the program, I'm looking at 5x2 (maybe 3) X all (10) to Chrome early Pick 4 - $50 or so.

Longshot pick that day- Race 9 - #4 Goldenscents - Exacta Box Goldenscents/Palice Malice.

One oddity is the Chrome has gained 45 pounds since the Ky Derby. This is a very good thing. Usually horses lose weight.

Last edited:
I liked the way Commanding Curve was looking at the end of the Derby. With the extra distance, he might be worth a bet.

I like him in the exacta. But if they run around the track again, he wasn't catching Chrome.

I would like to see Untappable run against Chrome in the fall after each has had time to rest.

RJ: Thanks for these threads. Your insight is always helpful. Made a few sheckels on the Derby with your call on Chrome. For what it is worth, I think Chrome will win, but is too rich to bet. Take 4, 5 and someone in an exacta box - maybe A Rod, even though I hate him. Just complete speculation on my part. Good luck.

Trust me, you will hear Frank Sinatra signing New York, New York. One of the worst songs ever, and sung badly

I don't think he will win with even money, but with the size of the payout to win in comparison to CC, I think it's worth a bet. Bad starts happen to all horses sometime (except Big Red)

But he's probably a better bet in a box.

If you are going to bet the race straight up, you have to pick one or two horses for second. any more than that and your odds drop dramatically.

I don't like the card much.

Here is a $27 Pick 4:

Race 8- 4,5.6.8.9.10
Race 9 - 1,4,6
Race 10- 1,5,6
Race 11- Belmont - 2 Chrome

You might get away with $12
With
with
with

I may look at the late Pick 4 in the AM.

If you bet this and hit, you are honor bound to kick down a decent share:

$96 Pick 6

with
with
with
with
with

If you want to bet against Chrome, go for an exacta box of Tonalist/Commaning Curve/Samraat.

I just can't get over Wicked Strong having the second best trip in the Derby and stopping. He had no excuse not to be second.

Link

Beyer is pretty good, but he's been hating on Chrome all season. Predicts him to finish out of the money today.

Andy is a god, but he's been wrong this year. What's most stunning is his assertion that Chrome was tiring in the Derby. He wasn't even breathing hard at the end of the race.

I'm trying to decide if I want to bet the Pick 6. I'm kinda worried if it's worth the play. If Miss Sophia, Beholder, Palace Malice and Chrome win, it could pay $500 or so.

You might take a flyer Coffee Clique (#5) in the 8th Race. She seems to be getting a lot better.

Social Inclusion seems way over bet in race 5 at 7/5. Kobe's Back is a solid long shot play if you trust him to not be a retard coming out of the gate.

Back