• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The best book you ever read?

I should also say the source of my moniker, Semi-Tough by Dan Jenkins. Simply the funniest and most entertaining book I've ever read.

I haven't read it in a long time but probably The Stranger.

I really liked Freedom but know a lot of booknerds hate Franzen

i'll try to reply better tomorrow but i agree with stranger as well as native son. catch .22 is apparently something i need to read. surprised nobody has mentioned the bible or Lotr, but those are both kind of cliche and the first is more a collection of shot stories than a coherent book. eta: ok i see someone said the bible lol.

all in all a good collection of reading suggestions.

ETA2: would like to see the slaughterhouse 5 rant as well. I loved the book for the motifs about the nature of time, determinism v. free will, and the way humans deal with extreme emotional distress.

Last edited:
Mine wold probably be Libra or the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I guess that makes me post-modern.

Libra is incredible. First 200 pages or so of Underworld is good, too, but I didn't love the book overall. Not a huge fan of White Noise, though.

The One and Only by my Wake homie Emily Giffin.

But seriously, 1984.

Native Son is a real good one.

Give me White Teeth and The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao for my favorite books of the millennium.

I love Pit book threads! It is very difficult to pick just one, so here's a few of my favorites:

Jane Eyre
David Copperfield
Of Human Bondage
Middlemarch

good choices

my favorite books since 2000:

Middlesex
Human Stain
Empire Falls
Everything is Illuminated
Tree of Smoke
Fortress of Solitude

In all my academic endeavors, I have never read the Count of Monte Cristo. It's THAT good, huh????

yeah, for a millennial or afterwards he's like a perfect videogame protagonist. they could probably do a CoMC assassin's creed

good choices

my favorite books since 2000:

Middlesex
Human Stain
Empire Falls
Everything is Illuminated
Tree of Smoke
Fortress of Solitude

Fortress of Solitude had the makings of an excellent book, IMO, but Lethem would be well served by a more assertive editor. That book was really bloated and didn't need to be.

Also, if my rep is any indicator, than folks hate My Antonia. Didn't know that. Word.

hmm i didn't think it dragged

chronic city was about the same length iirc and also felt pretty fast

Back