• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The best book you ever read?

Y'all listed some pretty great books in your least favorites lists.

I had to read Tess of the D'urbervilles twice and it was significantly better the second time around. I hated it the first time.

The Awakening was terrible.

The Awakening, Heart of Darkness, and A Wrinkle In Time are three of my least favorite books.

big fan of heart of darkness. madame bovary can suck a dick

what's wrong with the awakening? it's neither on my fav or least fav but i found some of the book to relate quite well to, uh, things, for lack of a better word.

I'm fairly certain the paper I had to write on the Awakening is one of the worst things I've ever written. I wish i could log into my stinkpad to re-read some of the stuff I wrote for that english lit class.

Not the worst I've ever read, but An American Tragedy (Dreiser) was terrible.

I'm fairly certain the paper I had to write on the Awakening is one of the worst things I've ever written. I wish i could log into my stinkpad to re-read some of the stuff I wrote for that english lit class.

This reminded one of my favorite paper I ever wrote - from Am. Lit seminar. We had to take one of the books we read, research a director and basically storyboard the movie that director would create from the book, juxtaposing author style/motifs with the director's style. I did a Kubrick version of There Eyes are Watching God. Loved it, but it was freakin' dark. Not one person from the class chose the Awakening as their subject.

To Kill A Mockingbird
Of Mice And Men
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

I start a lot of books and don't finish them... I need to work on that.

No one likes The Awakening. No one.

That it was a massive feminist statement only goes to show how much further feminism had to go.

I actually really liked The Awakening :couch:

As far as contemporary fiction books:
Lev Grossman's The Magician King (my favorite magical realism book--this is the sequel to The Magicians)
Eugenides' The Marriage Plot (I am getting ready to start Middlesex, which I have heard is excellent)
Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind
Anything by Richard Russo (I really enjoyed Bridge of Sighs, Empire Falls, and That Old Cape Magic)

If you liked The Marriage Plot, you'll really love Middlesex. It's his best work by a mile.

If you liked The Marriage Plot, you'll really love Middlesex. It's his best work by a mile.

Agree. Middlesex is outstanding and worthy of the hype. Marriage Plot, not so much. You get the feeling that Eugenides' best work is behind him.

Back