• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Best Films of 2013, and some other accolades

WakeFanatic

Reaction score
A little late to get this up, but I just finally got to see everything (that's available) that I wanted to see. Let me know what you guys think, what some of your favorite movies were, and as always, if you disagree with my choices or think they are too pretentious :D

The Best Films of 2013
1. Laurence Anyways (Xavier Dolan)
2. Drug War (Johnnie To)
3. The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer)
4. Only God Forgives (Nicolas Winding Refn)
5. You’re Next (Adam Wingard)
6. Spring Breakers (Harmony Korine)
7. Blue is the Warmest Color (Abdellatif Kechiche)
8. Frances Ha (Noah Baumbach)
9. Inside Llewyn Davis (Joel and Ethan Coen)
10. Her (Spike Jonze)

Honorable Mention: Passion (Brian De Palma), Berberian Sound Studio (Peter Strickland), Maniac (Franck Khalfoun), Magic Magic (Sebastian Silva), No (Pablo Larrain), Crystal Fairy (Sebastian Silva), Gravity (Alfonzo Cuaron), The World’s End (Edgar Wright), The Grandmaster (Wong-Kar Wai), and Drinking Buddies (Joe Swanberg)

Best Director: Xavier Dolan, Laurence Anyways
Runner-Up: Noah Baumbach, Frances Ha

Best Actor: Oscar Isaac, Inside Llewyn Davis
Runner-Up: Michael B. Jordan, Fruitvale Station

Best Actress: Adèle Exarchopoulos, Blue is the Warmest Color
Runner-Up: Suzanne Clemènt, Laurence Anyways

Best Supporting Actor: James Franco, Spring Breakers
Runner-Up: Bradley Cooper, American Hustle

Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong’o, 12 Years a Slave
Runner-Up: Olivia Wilde, Drinking Buddies

Best Screenplay: Spike Jonze, Her
Runner-Up: Simon Barrett, You’re Next

Best Cinematography: Only God Forgives
Runner-Up: Her

Best Editing: Drug War
Runner-Up: Gravity

Best Ensemble: American Hustle
Runner-Up: 12 Years a Slave

Best Sound Mixing: Gravity
Runner-Up: The Grandmaster

Best Score: Cliff Martinez, Only God Forgives
Runner-Up: Arcade Fire, Her

The Worst Films of 2013:
1. Call of Duty: The Movie, I mean..... Lone Survivor
2. A Good Day to Die Hard
3. Mama
4. Dallas Buyers Club
5. Homefront

Last edited:
Lone Survivor the worst film of 2013? Must've been a great year for film, then.

My 5 favorite movies of 2013 (not necessarily the "best" in any fashion, but the most fun/satisfaction i had at the movies) were:

1. Gravity
2. Spring Breakers
3. Wolf of Wall Street
4. The Spectacular Now
5. This is the End

5 least enjoyable movies

1. The Hangover 3
2. The Great Gatsby
3. Now You See Me
4. Pain and Gain
5. Lee Daniel's The Butler

Franco for Supporting Actor? I haven't seen the movie but I thought he was the star.

Just curious if you saw Nebraska and just didn't think it worth mentioning.

I do hope Nyong'o wins her category.

Franco for Supporting Actor? I haven't seen the movie but I thought he was the star.

Just curious if you saw Nebraska and just didn't think it worth mentioning.

I do hope Nyong'o wins her category.
Saw Nebraska, it was about 3 spots away from making my list. Liked it a lot. I thought overall this was one of the best years for film in a long time. Franco is the lead male character in the movie, but the focus of the movie is the 4 girls. He's not in it a ton, at least not until the second half.

Haven't yet, have heard good things, will see it soon. Didn't see Hangover 3, but I can imagine it's nearly unwatchable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably the best teen movie since Fast Times at Ridgemont High

For those that may be interested in some of these titles, off the top of my head the ones on Netflix Instant are Drug War (for any action fan I would highly recommend this), Only God Forgives, Frances Ha (I would compare this to Girls, so if you like that then give this a shot), Berberian Sound Studio, Maniac, Crystal Fairy, and Drinking Buddies.

Dude, I jerk off to Ryan Gosling, and love just about everything Nicholas Winding Refn has done, but I can't get on board with Only God Forgives. It just seemed so pointlessly violent and odd for the sake of being pointlessly violent and odd. Visually stunning, I'll give you, but explain to me what I'm missing with this movie. The Place beyond the Pines, as overly ambitious as it may have been, is a vastly superior Gosling flick in my opinion.

Last edited:
Dude, I jerk off to Ryan Gosling, and love just about everything Nicholas Winding Refn has done, but I can't get on board with Only God Forgives. It just seemed so pointlessly violent and odd for the sake of being pointlessly violent and odd. Visually stunning, I'll give you, but explain to me what I'm missing with this movie. The Place beyond the Pines, as overly ambitious as it may have been, is a vastly superior Gosling flick in my opinion.
Perhaps you aren't missing anything. It's about as polarizing of a film as you can get, with most reactions being that it's pointless and revolting. No question, it is a nasty movie, much more impenetrable than Drive, in so far as understanding what Refn is trying to do. I think it would make a phenomenal, and fascinating double feature with The Shining, as I think many of the themes here (sexual trauma, sexual release as violence/bloodshed, lush visuals with a dominating color palette) correlate with what Kubrick did in that film.

The best defense of the film Ive seen is this piece here. It's a really great article, and I would say this woman gives the film a much more thoughtful look than the anyone else has. Highly recommend it for anyone who saw the film.

Yeah. Really odd film but was kind of blown away by the execution. Addresses a lot of ideas effortlessly and is really funny at times.

Will comment more later on, planning to watch some of your more obscure top 10 soon. Will say I was not a fan of Drinking Buddies despite it's critical acclaim. Really enjoyed Lake Bell's directorial debut In A World for a frivolous comedy. And she has a great rack.

Back