• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Catholic Church is a Criminal Enterprise

More than 600,000 Catholics were slaughtered in the Holocaust. The Catholics political party was among the last to stand against the Nazis and the Pope openly condemned Nazism in 1937.

More than 2500 Cathloic clergy were brought ot Dauca alone.

Jews are a religious and ethnic group. And what are you saying about Muslims, they're not a religious group? Not sure where you're going with that. Can someone who is brainwashed tell someone else they are brainwashed. Maybe they cancel each other out.

This was in response to a PM from mfdeacs.

Muslims are a religous group, not an ethnic group. Regardless, it is unacceptable to demonize an entire faith. The consequences - shown throughout history - are awful.

Careful with those mods. They'll neg you to oblivion.

But, yea, Catholic Church has done a lot of great things. Canon Law, anyone? Thanks for some law and order (obviously with the Romans) catholicism. Also, some philosophy.

Modern day? Good and bad people. There are millions out them.

So someone has alerted me that Catholics are hypocrites. Aren't all religious groups to some extent? Embracing dogmatic values is going to lead to that nearly all the time.

This is a more complicated, but I'd like to see an evaluation of hypocrisy on normative grounds. Saying one thing and doing another, while vilified, doesn't seem nearly as bad as preaching bad AND doing bad.

I wonder what the ratio of atheists/agnostics to believers is on this board. The Catholic Church has done some good things and some very bad things. Throughout its very long history, I think it would be hard to argue that the good has outweighed the bad. At least it is no longer really hindering the progress of science (at least not nearly to the same degree it once was).

Careful with those mods. They'll neg you to oblivion.

But, yea, Catholic Church has done a lot of great things. Canon Law, anyone? Thanks for some law and order (obviously with the Romans) catholicism. Also, some philosophy.

Modern day? Good and bad people. There are millions out them.

This isn't true.

I wonder what the ratio of atheists/agnostics to believers is on this board. The Catholic Church has done some good things and some very bad things. Throughout its very long history, I think it would be hard to argue that the good has outweighed the bad. At least it is no longer really hindering the progress of science (at least not nearly to the same degree it once was).

I can get down with this. Pretty reasonable stuff from OGD. The bad: obvious. Inquisitions; recent sex scandals; restrictions on science. The good: loads of charitable work, including but not limited to tons of orphanages; a real commitment to formal education (and thus tons of universities) before basically any other modern religion; pretty hefty diplomatic work in the modern world too (via priests acting as intermediaries between warring political parties).

Re: the mods thing TW, it was joking-ish. I don't really think you guys will go around neg repping people, but I've had it happen.

Seriously, insert "Jews" for Catholic Church, and insert banking, trade, the media and land grabs, etc... and you'd be chased out of any forum as a disgusting anti-Semite.

OGD, I do pity you, as your longing to prove that you must be right on faith requires a denigration of all who believe. An absence of the comfort of the Lord, combined with a deep seated hatred of those who have that must make you a lonely, tortured soul.

I have disagreements and differences on religion with many, but rarely do I see the visceral hatred and need to debase others faith. May your attacks bring you some peace, but I doubt they will.

So someone has alerted me that Catholics are hypocrites. Aren't all religious groups to some extent? Embracing dogmatic values is going to lead to that nearly all the time.

This is a more complicated, but I'd like to see an evaluation of hypocrisy on normative grounds. Saying one thing and doing another, while vilified, doesn't seem nearly as bad as preaching bad AND doing bad.

I'm pretty sure all people are hypocrites.

Seriously, insert "Jews" for Catholic Church, and insert banking, trade, the media and land grabs, etc... and you'd be chased out of any forum as a disgusting anti-Semite.

OGD, I do pity you, as your longing to prove that you must be right on faith requires a denigration of all who believe. An absence of the comfort of the Lord, combined with a deep seated hatred of those who have that must make you a lonely, tortured soul.

I have disagreements and differences on religion with many, but rarely do I see the visceral hatred and need to debase others faith. May your attacks bring you some peace, but I doubt they will.

You just did one of my favorite religious person tricks, the we don't agree with anything you say, i'm going to try and sound very enlightened and concerned for you while at the same time insulting you and not following the principles of the religion i'm so adamantly trying to defend.

I'm confused by the connection you are attempting to draw. If I said, rapists are bad people, you could say, "well insert black people for rapists and then you'd be a racist." Does that mean anything I said originally was racist? Once again I don't harbor any hatred for Catholics or religious people in general. Many of my closest friends and family and even people I most respect on this forum are religious and many are Catholic. I simply disagree with them on that specific issue.

The Catholic Church has done a great deal of good for an innumerable amount of people. That is commendable and is not forgotten.

BUT it doesn't "cancel out" what has gone on with the recent offenses in my mind. As others have pointed out, the cover-up of sexual transgressions has been shown to be systemic. People at various positions of power found out what was going on and instead of acting in the spirit of the organization's own central messages, these people tried to hide what was going on. It seems obvious to me that it became clear there was more going on in the name of the Church than just a few isolated incidents and the hierarchy became more concerned with taking a hit in its coffers and already waning influence than taking an immediate stand against something it knows is wrong.

That says all I need to hear about the real motives of those who are/were in control of that organization, and were I a member, I'd rather spend my time and energy doing good in a different place than spend that same time and energy defending those who tried to protect the "bad seeds" that brought this terrible reputation to the Church.

I don't mean this as an attack on anyone, just where I would stand if I were in some of your shoes.

I'm confused by the connection you are attempting to draw. If I said, rapists are bad people, you could say, "well insert black people for rapists and then you'd be a racist." Does that mean anything I said originally was racist? Once again I don't harbor any hatred for Catholics or religious people in general. Many of my closest friends and family and even people I most respect on this forum are religious and many are Catholic. I simply disagree with them on that specific issue.

Rapists
Black People
Catholics
Jews

Which of these groups is reasonable to characterize as made of members that are all guilty of criminal activity simply by their inclusion in the group? It's not really so difficult to figure out.

You just did one of my favorite religious person tricks, the we don't agree with anything you say, i'm going to try and sound very enlightened and concerned for you while at the same time insulting you and not following the principles of the religion i'm so adamantly trying to defend.

You don't have to be Catholic, it's the beauty of our wonderful country. But the rub is you are not supposed to actively seek gov't supprt to condemn my faith.

Many faiths disagree with many tenets of my Church, and continue to help millions of people. They do awesome work, whether they be Protestant, Jew, Muslim, etc...

I'm sorry to insult you leftist sensibilities, but I ask you to point to a single Catholic principle I am not following.

If you can't, I await your apology.

Back