• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Coen brothers' best film

Pick one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
arizona1.jpg

Pretty tough poll.

I think popular opinion would probably be Raising Arizona, Big Lebowski, and No Country.

I think I was one of about 4 people that really appreciated a Serious Man. Miller's Crossing is a popular movie amongst critics. I really enjoyed the Hudsucker Proxy when I finally saw it. O Brother is fun. Fargo is amusing.

I think it kind of depends on what mood you're in. I went Miller's Crossing.

Pretty tough poll.

I think popular opinion would probably be Raising Arizona, Big Lebowski, and No Country.

I think I was one of about 4 people that really appreciated a Serious Man. Miller's Crossing is a popular movie amongst critics. I really enjoyed the Hudsucker Proxy when I finally saw it. O Brother is fun. Fargo is amusing.

I think it kind of depends on what mood you're in. I went Miller's Crossing.

I was number 2. Haunting ending to that one.

I went with No Country for Old Men although I did enjoy O Brother more. No Country just followed a good pace though out the entire movie and left you feeling like you just watched something really really good. Minimal dialog too which I don't usually like but it worked.

Last edited:
Very tough. Went with Fargo, wanted to go with Miller's Crossing.

I was number 2. Haunting ending to that one.

Make me number 3 on that one. The clear answer here, IMO, is Fargo. That's not to say that many of there movies are not classics, but Fargo is one of the best films made in the 90's. Then I'd go Lebowski/Barton Fink, then Serious Man. I like your decision to leave off True Grit, as I think that is their weakest effort, leaving aside stuff like Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty, which are really not Coen Bros. films.

Fargo then Lebowski personally.

Raising, Millers, Blood Simple are all cool movies.

Never got into O Brother, but I like the music.

lebowski and fargo are both awesome, but had to go with miller's crossing. i freaking love that movie

O brother
Big Lebowski
Fargo
No country
Raising Arizona
True Grit
Intolerable Cruelty
Hudsucker Proxy
Blood simple

Every other movie they ever made that didn't end by showing a random tornado

I went with No Country. It's one of my favorite movies of all time.

But I knew that Lebowski would probably play well with the age of most posters on this board. Not sure why it's so, but people of my brother's generation, most of you guys here, are enamored with Big Lebowski.

I don't want to sound like I am hating on it. It's pretty good, but it's not even their best "funny" movie. That's Raising Arizona.

this thread just caused me to buy the O Brother where Art Thou sound track on itunes. Best 10 dollars I've spent in awhile.

I went with Big Lebowski. I loved Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing and No Country. But Lebowski is an amazing comedy. Up there with Life of Brian for best comedy of all time for me.

When I saw True Grit, I liked it, but thought it wasn't in the top ten of Coen brother movies, so yeah, I agree.

Lebowski has a special place in my heart. Most quotable movie of ALL TIME.

That said, I think Fargo, No Country, and O Brother are probably better movies. O brother might be my favorite. What a bold movie to make. Its not for everyone, but its funny, has great acting, and music is just phenomenal. A buddy of mine credits that movie with the revival in bluegrass popularity, fwiw. A great American movie.

EDIT: Having said all that, on second thought, damn, its hard not to go with lebowski, LOL.

A buddy of mine credits that movie with the revival in bluegrass popularity, fwiw. A great American movie.

It had a huge influence. The crowds at Merlefest exploded after that movie was made.

Back