• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The cupboard is hardly "bare"

Clawson mentioned WR was an issue at the conference call according to magic deac. I'm guessin since he has yet to see these guys practice than he is saying WR is an issue in terms of number of players.

I really like Tyree Harris, I think he has the potential to be really good. I think Jonathon Williams and Jared Crump could also be good and then you've got guys like Reynolds and Armstrong that I think can be good in the slot. I think WR is a definite question mark, but I think there is some talent there and with an new OC and not having a system build so much around one player, I think we'll see some guys step up.

If the cupboard isn't bare, why does it seem like Coach Claw is trying to stock it up?

Ranger, add TE to the list assuming Claw's offense uses them.

If the cupboard isn't bare, why does it seem like Coach Claw is trying to stock it up?

He is out recruiting and filling slots like every other staff.

Umm, because it's a few weeks until signing day and recruiting is a never ending process maybe? What'd you expect him to do come in here and say, yeah we're good with what we've got????

From Armstrong's WF site bio, for what it's worth:

As a junior, led Olympia in rushing (1,101 yards), touchdowns (19), receptions (60) and receiving yards (653) ... Has 4.4 speed in the 40 ... Played at the same high school as Chris Johnson of the Tennessee Titans and broke Johnson's season rushing record ... Ranked No. 17 on the Bright House Sports Network list of top players in Central Florida ... Also had offers from Duke, Illinois, Iowa State, Cincinnati, East Carolina, and Temple ... Is the cousin of Alton "Pig" Howard, a sophomore receiver for the Tennessee Volunteers ...

From Armstrong's WF site bio, for what it's worth:

As a junior, led Olympia in rushing (1,101 yards), touchdowns (19), receptions (60) and receiving yards (653) ... Has 4.4 speed in the 40 ... Played at the same high school as Chris Johnson of the Tennessee Titans and broke Johnson's season rushing record ... Ranked No. 17 on the Bright House Sports Network list of top players in Central Florida ... Also had offers from Duke, Illinois, Iowa State, Cincinnati, East Carolina, and Temple ... Is the cousin of Alton "Pig" Howard, a sophomore receiver for the Tennessee Volunteers ...

When he arrived he quickly established himself as the fastest player on the team.

The old guard never figured out how to plug him into the lineup, IMO.

It's not apples to apples but Doug Marrone never figured out how to use CJ Spiller this season.

It happens. Johnny needs some S&C but he's a helluva all-purpose prospect.

When he arrived he quickly established himself as the fastest player on the team.

The old guard never figured out how to plug him into the lineup, IMO.

It's not apples to apples but Doug Marrone never figured out how to use CJ Spiller this season.

It happens. Johnny needs some S&C but he's a helluva all-purpose prospect.

I was with you but Spiller has been 70% healthy at best all season. Terrible comparison.

There will be multiple academic casualties.

Nice parting gift. Good thing we don't allow too many exceptions. Sounds like our academic support staff needs an overhaul as well.

Johnny Armstrong is an example. A guy that the last staff could not figure out how to plug in with Campanaro or fully utilize his special team prowess. Armstrong is the fastest guy on the team and he has a long football background. He is a seasoned player so I'm looking forward to what the new staff does with him.

I am pretty sure the wind just blew Armstrong away.

There always are. Probably once we get into Spring semester just prior to spring practice. Get it , Claw is saying we'll take 25.....

Much of the disappointment with outgoing staff was the inability to coax the talent out of the players...a coaching trait they once had in abundance. One thing,however,rarely failed them...throughout his tenure his staff could spot raw physical ability and it's potential for expansion. Sure, they had a period where the regime attempted to develop a pipeline mentality which would ease the academic scrambling--- Florida private schools which had an impressive run in the 90's and early 2000's. So, a perfect storm of declining prospects and dwindling fire in the belly contributed to several lackluster efforts coming off the Orange Bowl (with regard to touted system players)

But, the new blood on that old staff had been successful in returning WF back to Mack Brown's early 90's assessment of North Carolina recruiting... "You gotta get the best athlete possible and then plug him into a position".

Derrick Jackson understood this. So did Hime and Stubbs. These guys recruited some killer athletes -- from Tyree Harris to Wendell Dunn to Lance Virgille to Duke Ejiofor to Shelldon Lewinson, Marquel Lee, Teddy Matthews and Julian Thomas Jackson.

We Have some players at Wake Forest. We just need an infusion of player development and stone cold belief in a system that has produced championships at 3 tiers of college football to date.

The names you heard in the Spring were whose!?

That's right, shut the fuck up, Woodberry Forest.

I called Ejiofor. I called Lewinson. I called all those guys that Jackson brought in.

That's right, oh legion with no fucking imagination...I'm gonna deal.

Clawson told a member of the outgoing staff that cupboard was bare.

I don't always drink mindless Koolaid about Wake Football, but when I do I prefer Lectro's.

Back