• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Curious Case of Trayvon Martin

Why is a guy carrying a concealed weapon in a frickin gated community? If the person at the gate works, how would someone get in?

Why is a guy carrying a concealed weapon in a frickin gated community? If the person at the gate works, how would someone get in?

This is what confused me. What's the point of having a gated community if it has to be patrolled by armed guards?

Gated communities have, on average, a higher rate of crime than most neighborhoods due to the notion that there must be something in the homes worth protecting.

A kid walking calmly in a gated community is hardly a threat.

Gated communities have, on average, a higher rate of crime than most neighborhoods due to the notion that there must be something in the homes worth protecting.

Link?

Honestly I'm going based upon what my best friend's father (police detective) has said multiple times. In doing a quick search, I found this site which had some interesting information that goes both ways in regards to gated communities.

"St. Andrews, a gated community in Boca Raton Florida, spends over a million dollars a year on helicopters and canine patrols"(Dillon, 1994, p. 3). A few communities also contain bollards to keep non-residents at bay. Bollards, mostly used in airports and other high security areas, prevent the tailgating of vehicles by raising metal cylinders up out of the ground to impale vehicles that try to slip by.

In many communities including some is San Antonio, Texas, entry into these communities is difficult: "to enter you pass through a metal gate where a uniformed guard bearing a neighborhood ranger badge and a .38 pistol checks for your name on a visitors list" (Diamond, 1997, p. 3).

In gated communities, the trend is that crimes against the person go down and stay down in controlled access developments. This occurs because perpetrators do not want to go to an area that they are unfamiliar with and where it might be hard for them to make an escape. "According to preliminary research, crimes such as burglary drop in the first year or so of gating, but then rise back to the level of the areas outside.

Stig, it was during the day. the kid was walking. Exactly how would he commit a crime and escape?

They may be targets of crime but isn't that the point of the gate/gatekeeper?

Stig, it was during the day. the kid was walking. Exactly how would he commit a crime and escape?

I wasn't justifying what happened at all. I was addressing why someone in a gated community would have/need a gun.

They may be targets of crime but isn't that the point of the gate/gatekeeper?

Ideally yes. However that means relying on a guy who makes $8-$12 an hour. With security, you get what you pay for.

So you're saying that a gated community is at greater risk of crime than a regular, upscale neighborhood? THEN WHY DO THEY HAVE THE FENCE

Peace of mind. People buy guns and knives for the feeling of safety but that doesn't necessarily make them any safer

That guy sounds like a real winner. Do they have the death penalty in FL?

yes. They were still using the electric chair up until the late 90s.

yes. They were still using the electric chair up until the late 90s.

So this guy is a racist loser on a power trip and thus far he's killed a child and will cost the state hundreds of thousands of dollars while he's incarcerated and will tie up the court system. Good job asshole.

He hasn't been arrested or charged and it's unclear if he ever will.

Also, is it just me or does the police chief come off as incredibly insensitive in that article?

Police Chief Bill Lee said that although police do not encourage watch program volunteers to carry weapons, he recognizes a citizen’s constitutional right to do so. No arrest was made, Lee said, because there was no evidence to disprove Zimmerman’s account.

He has cooperated with the investigation and never retained an attorney, Lee said. His phone numbers are disconnected and no one answered the door at his home or his parents’ home. His in-laws shooed a reporter away. After death threats and an avalanche of hate mail, Lee said Zimmerman went into hiding. Local station WFTV Channel 9 reported that he showed up with a truck last week and moved out.

“We are taking a beating over this,” said Lee, who defends the investigation. “This is all very unsettling. I’m sure if George Zimmerman had the opportunity to relive Sunday, Feb. 26, he’d probably do things differently. I’m sure Trayvon would, too.”

Why is he talking about how hard Zimmerman has it right now? Is he his attorney? And then he talks about how his department is taking a beating over this.. who the fuck cares? And then he places equal blame and Zimmerman and Martin ("I'm sure they'd both do it differently.") What the fuck did Martin do trying to walk back and watch the 2nd half of the NBA All Star game with some Skittles?

“We are taking a beating over this,” said Lee, who defends the investigation. “This is all very unsettling. I’m sure if George Zimmerman had the opportunity to relive Sunday, Feb. 26, he’d probably do things differently. I’m sure Trayvon would, too.”

Aside from not staying home, what did Trayvon do wrong? That just sounds really bad coming from the Police Chief.

Back