• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Curious Case of Trayvon Martin

I didnt mean race blind as in they don't acknowledge race, I mean race blind in that if they see a sketchy looking person who is white walking down the street, most of them (not including zimmerman based on what I consider racial profiling on his part) will react the same way they do to an equally sketchy looking black person walking down the same street.

I'll fully admit to not being race blind. In my neighborhood, it's just playing the overwhelming odds.

He hasn't been arrested or charged and it's unclear if he ever will.

Also, is it just me or does the police chief come off as incredibly insensitive in that article?

Why is he talking about how hard Zimmerman has it right now? Is he his attorney? And then he talks about how his department is taking a beating over this.. who the fuck cares? And then he places equal blame and Zimmerman and Martin ("I'm sure they'd both do it differently.") What the fuck did Martin do trying to walk back and watch the 2nd half of the NBA All Star game with some Skittles?

The chief comes off as an asshole. What would Trayvon do differently? Crawl, not buy skittles, stop being black?

No evidence to disprove his account? Maybe because the other guy can't fucking speak anymore, or the multiple 911 calls.

Is he claiming self-defense? Wouldn't the call to 911 indicate otherwise and also premeditation?

And the kid's father lives in the gated community. I would think a leader of the neighborhood watch should know this.

Judging from the police chief, the only difference between Zimmerman and the cops would have been the number of bullets going into that kid.

Of course the cops are going to take this guy's side.

Dwight_sheriff.jpg

And the kid's father lives in the gated community. I would think a leader of the neighborhood watch should know this.

Agreed. If you're the self proclaimed "leader" of your neighborhood watch association you have a duty to know who lives in your neighborhood.

If this asshole is claiming self defense, let's see some injuries.

Shooter looks kind of hispanic. Has a white last name (Zimmerman).

Question is, should race be a meaningful classification? 724 and Ph seem to think so. I'm less sure, but I think it's a fascinating discussion.

Why wouldn't a CCP holder be carrying a concealed weapon?

The race of the shooter really doesn't matter except for white posters who want to distance themselves from this guy.

White is a race...Hispanic is an ethnicity.

It is possible to be both white and Hispanic.

Check any questionnaire that asks for race, usually the responses include "White/Not Hispanic" and "White/Hispanic"

ETA: Was typing this before others said the same thing.

Back